Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering an after-market security system to help protect their new Charger?
If so, what brand and why? I am thinking about a voice perimeter alarm, but I have no clue as to what to get and if they really work. I do not want the standard alarms because no-one pays attention to them.
Any input would be great. :)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
No one pays any attention to any of them.

Total waste of money, imo.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
If you want to prevent the car being taken, dont bother. If they flatbed it, no alarm will stop them. If they dont flatbed it, they cant take it.

Now if you want to be alerted personally if someone disturbs it, that's different.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not knowing much about the perimeter alarms......wouldn't they sound off if someone wanted to flat bed it???
and yes, I would like to be personally alerted to anyone messing with my car that would be my husband's new toy that is second only to me........I can dream can't I :whistle: :grin:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i thought this thing was pretty state of the art with the key lock up....i really have no idea...but i am all ears to hear what others think or know about the system.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
A perimeter system should go off during a flatbed theft. But as noted, it's real easy to just say it's a repo. Then haul it to a dark place, pop the hood and kill power.

I have yet to find ANY verified case in three years of any Sentry Key equipped vehicle being driven away. So were down to vandalism.

The alert thing is nice, but realisitically evaluate what you want it for. Are you going to aprehend the criminals yourself (of himself)? In most states, property theft is NOT a valid justification for physical force. Not to mention the danger involved. I'm not a screaming libral by any means, and most likely would try to bet the crap out of anyone I caught messing with my car. But if they screw it up, I call my insurance company.

Parts just cost money, folks dont.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
GLHS837 said:
I'm not a screaming libral by any means, and most likely would try to bet the crap out of anyone I caught messing with my car.
gamble much....a little slip there of your problem...lol

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
My car's in NYC a lot so short of a pit bull tied to the steering wheel and a metal spike that would poke out of the horn area into the rotten bastard thief's chest if he drove off (can I patent that?) I'm not stopping anything. I had an aftremarket alarm put in for the insurance discount and some false security.

I had one of those alarms that paged you on my motorcycle. It worked. Once I came out of a bar in response to it (no, I don't rink and ride) to find that my bike had been involved in a bar fight that I wasn't and it was now on the ground. The second time I was in a motel when it went off at like 7:00 a.m. and there actually was a guy climbing on board the bike. I had camping equipment with me from the croos country trip I was on. I guess the sight of a crazed man clad only in his underwear swinging a hatchet in one hand and dangling from the railing on the second floor to drop down below was enough to get him moving.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your thinking about tying a dog to the car, my preference would be my Rotty......140 pounds of "you think yer gonna mess w'me"
lol
:happy:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I used to have a Clifford alarm system with a paging device on my 77 Formula Firebird.. was great could page me up to 1 mile away.

LoJac makes a good device if hidden properly... you call the police and they will nab the guys right away... I'd look at doing that personnally... http://www.lojack.com/what/index.cfm

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try Guidepointsystems.com I installed it in my charger and it is sweet. It is a GPS tracking system. You can also start your car from the web and see where it is at anytime. If it moves a quarter mile without the key in it, it automaticly notifies guidepoint and they dispatch the coppers. They will also call you and up to three additional telephone numbers. You can disable your car from the web, blow the horn, start it or a number of things. Check it out.... it is far better than my wife's LoJac

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dude like they said no one pays attention to them anymore. I live 90 miles from the Mexico border and when I go to El Paso, TX I right on the border if they want it the'll take it. Thats what insurance is for.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Being that I live in Rhode Island... it's a long drive accross the border...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Awesome said:
Try Guidepointsystems.com I installed it in my charger and it is sweet. It is a GPS tracking system. You can also start your car from the web and see where it is at anytime. If it moves a quarter mile without the key in it, it automaticly notifies guidepoint and they dispatch the coppers. They will also call you and up to three additional telephone numbers. You can disable your car from the web, blow the horn, start it or a number of things. Check it out.... it is far better than my wife's LoJac
It looks really good. What kind of prices are we talking about? I think that the online remote start would be great to haev. Start the car from the office 10 minutes before I am leaving. Too cool for a New England winter that promises to be memorable...

·
Registered
262 Posts
lammy said:
It looks really good. What kind of prices are we talking about? I think that the online remote start would be great to haev. Start the car from the office 10 minutes before I am leaving. Too cool for a New England winter that promises to be memorable...

It cost me around $295 for the install. Then of course there is a yearly fee for whatever service level that you want from guidepoint.. Starts at around $25 bucks a year up to around $125 yearly...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
ALARMS, SECURITY SYSTEMS, TRACKING SYSTEMS AND SUCH OTHER RELATED STUFF IMO

1) Our cars have a security chip in the key. If the car is started by defeating the ignition lock, or even starting the vehicle with a key coded to turn the lock and not programed, our cars will start and cut off after 2 seconds. Once the interupted is activated the vehicle will not start unless it sees a properly coded key

2) If someone wants something in our car they will break the glass grab and run. I have seen complete DVD systems taken out of vehicles with alarms. They break the glass, climb in, do their thing and leave. Most alarms sound only when a door is opened. If the alarm goes off when the glass is broken or when they climb in they simply open the door and run.

3) Tracking systems like LOJAC can't find GPS points if the car is in a building or shipping container. If our cars are stolen it was likely by a professional. They take it on a rollback and hide it. If a car with a tracking system is protected before its signaled to turn on the transponder consider the car gone forever. If a car with a tracking system is'nt found within just a few days it's in an underground chop shop being parted out or headed to South America, Europe or Africa

The only worth while security device we can but on our cars is wheel locks...
A set of tires and wheels can go in about 3 minutes with a 4 person team and 2 jacks... and no power tools
How fast does NASCAR change tires ?

SPEND YOUR MONEY IF YOU WANT........

·
Registered
131 Posts
get a compustar. It has remote start and will alert you if anyone is tampering with your car at a range of a quarter mile(depending on location) I have one on my Acura, especially when these punks like stealing the hid headlights. One of the best investments i've made on the car.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
A friend had a cool system on his Fireo years ago. It was a silent alarm that locked the perp in the car. After 3 minutes, once the system was activated and there was someone in either front seat, the doors would lock and could only be opened from the outside after it was unlocked with the key. It acted very much like the child saftey lock on our rear doors, there was a reset lever in the door jam. The system would also short the tach lead concequently stalling the car and disabeling it in the middle of the street with the thief locked inside

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
GLHS837 said:
A perimeter system should go off during a flatbed theft. But as noted, it's real easy to just say it's a repo. Then haul it to a dark place, pop the hood and kill power.

I have yet to find ANY verified case in three years of any Sentry Key equipped vehicle being driven away. So were down to vandalism.

The alert thing is nice, but realisitically evaluate what you want it for. Are you going to aprehend the criminals yourself (of himself)? In most states, property theft is NOT a valid justification for physical force. Not to mention the danger involved. I'm not a screaming libral by any means, and most likely would try to bet the crap out of anyone I caught messing with my car. But if they screw it up, I call my insurance company.

Parts just cost money, folks dont.
Except here in Texas where, during the hours of darkness, using deadly force to prevent theft of personal property is a defense. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
GLHS837 said:
? In most states, property theft is NOT a valid justification for physical force.
Neener, neener, hopster:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts