Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure of the exact details, but my wife's fav uncle was killed little over a week ago when the car either fell off jack stands or rolled off ramps and crushed him. I didn't want to ask to many questions, because people were really hurting.

Brought back my own memories when my 71 charger had both jackstands collapse with me under the car. What saved me, was the car fell into the side of the carport and literally wedged itself. Jackstands I use today are 4 ton, ramps are similar capacity, and the big jack is 5 ton.

Please be careful when getting under the car, making sure the parking brake and wheels are blocked, and you trust your equipment to protect your life, because you depend on it to.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife's uncle. What a way to go. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
sorry for the loss. my stepbrother (~19yrs old) told me that he had a car come down on his head while doing a brake job. His head was pinned down. Somehow 2 of his buddies managed to lift the car up far enough to rescue him. there was a huge indent into the side of his head. oh my it was scary.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am sorry for your family's loss.
The charger is a heavy car, so thank you for the safety reminder!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your condolences.

I never met the man, which is strange considering it was her fav uncle...but in today's age of the internet and our short time of being married. Apparently he's always enjoyed working on cars, and in his younger days raced for awhile. But, it's great reminder to continue to be safe while we crawl under our cars.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
remember the first rule in any activity...SAFETY FIRST! this is a classic example of what can happen...im def sorry to hear of this...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Sorry about the loss.

I never get under a car without shaking the crap out of it to see how stable it is.

Also - I'll never again get under a car with just the jack holding it up. I had one start to slip on me while under my Fury and that was enough to scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
my stepdada had a car roll off a jack with him under it. crushed 6 ribs, and left him out of work for 4 months while he heeled. the treads actually caused crush damage and left an imprint on his side which lasted several months. Thats how I learned about safely working under a car. I was only 10 but I remember visiting him in the hospital. He only planned to look under the car for a minute at something, and decided it wasnt time worthy to put the stands under since he wasnt "working" under there for more than a minute.
Sorry about your loss, and I'm glad you put this post as a reminder to us all to be safe before all else.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. You can never be to safe while under a car.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your Wifes Uncle.

Very sad.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss as well.

Use quality equipment, inspect it for proper operation, use over rated but never under rated items, and just as important, learn their proper operation. Especially as it pertains to THAT vehicle. Every one is different, and especially jacking points, they can be hard to locate, especially when using a jack that doesn't come from the vehicle manufacturer.

Of course we all know all that, but thanks for starting a reminder thread. It really hits home when we learn that yes, it DOES happen. Think twice - while you still can. And don't be timid to point out when someone else is in a position to hurt themselves - in all things, not just when working on cars.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear that.

I almost had a car fall on me when the heavy chain in the auto lift snapped and the automatic safeties didn't engage. I was in the process of doing a clutch on an SHO Taurus and stepped away for a minute to get a drink of water. About 10 seconds after I walked away I heard this loud crash and turned around to see the car on the pavement (nose first). It had "squirted" the transmission jack backwards and that had gotten hung up in the rear bumper, holding the back of the car about 5' off the ground. Totaled out the car. Now, I make SURE the safeties are engaged every time I get under a car on a lift. You never know.

Best,

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thats why i always remove the tire and put it underneath the running boards along the outer frame. I had a car come down on me once and that tire saved my a$$.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats why i always remove the tire and put it underneath the running boards along the outer frame. I had a car come down on me once and that tire saved my a$$.
That's a good idea

1 - 15 of 15 Posts