Votes: 1 2.0%
  • NEVER

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a firm believer in seatbelts. My father is a Paramedic, and growing up, he'd always tell me "you know, I've never pulled a dead body out of a seatbelt." whenever I would fight him about wearing it...needless to say, I put it on. Whether or not that statement is true for other Paramedics/Police/Fire doesn't really matter; the fact is, it worked.

I was glad that my father used to tell me that and that it still echoes in my head to this day whenever I go to buckle up; especially a few months ago when I rolled a Jeep Wrangler on a busy 2lane highway. Ever since then I've been even more of a seatbelt advocate...it was the only thing that saved my life other than the grace of God.

I have a couple of friends that refuse to wear their seatbelts (unless they're in my car, then it's required if they wanna ride in the Hemi) saying that seatbelts cause more harm. Now, don't ask me why they have that reasoning, especially when we all work in EMS, but they do.

It got me wondering, how many of you are avid seatbelt wearers, who never wear them (and I'd like to ask "why?"), and who only occassionally wear them. Reasoning? Stories?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I used to about half the time & always on long trips. Ever since I bought this car, I do 99% of the time. It might be b/c of all the ponies under the hood. Or it may be b/c I'm just getting older. No matter the reason though, it is a good habit to get into.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My father ingrained that into me way back in the 60's when a lot of folks didn't wear them. Been a healthy habit ever since.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My Dad although not an EMS ingrained this in me as well.
I used to only use it about 1/2 the time in my youth but when
it became law here I started 100%, didn't need any unnecessary
tickets. It's now automatic to me, I don't even think about it.

My Nephew who now has brain damage (has the mind of a child)
from a car wreck wasn't wearing his nor was his dead friend.
They were both thrown from the car. The other 2 kids wearing
there seat belts had minor injuries. I've never heard of a case
where this situation was reversed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the law here
It is here too...but that doesn't mean it's followed like it should be....kinda like speed limits.

We actually lost a young girl in the Pensacola area over the weekend b/c she wasn't wearing her seatbelt. Her passenger, who also wasn't wearing a seatbelt, is in critical condition. This is just one death of several in the last few months in my area b/c people weren't wearing their seatbelt.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never heard of a case
where this situation was reversed.
I've heard of seatbelts causing internal bleeding or other injuries...but I'd rather be in surgery or in the hospital recovering than dead! It's not that I don't think a seatbelt could get you killed in a crash, I just think the liklihood of it happening is slim to none...but the chance of it saving you is A LOT higher than it harming you; and I'm living proof! When I flipped my Jeep, I walked away with no injuries, scratches, and just a couple bruises from things flying around in the cabin. I hate to think what would've happened if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt!...I don't think I would've walked away, if I had even lived through it at all.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Always while driving on public streets and parking lots, don't usually wear it if I'm driving down my driveway to get the mail though.....long driveway.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i almost always get in the car, close the door, put on the seatbelt, then start it up. i dont think i've ever gotten out of the driveway without it on. its been a habit since i started driving

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've heard of seatbelts causing internal bleeding or other injuries...
I would think this is certainly true, but if your getting that kind of injury
from the seatbelt what would have happened without it? What I meant was
I've never heard of a case where someone not wearing a belt faired better
than some one with a belt in the same vehicle.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've heard of seatbelts causing internal bleeding or other injuries
That's usually for not wearing the seat belt properly i.e. the waist belt too high above the hip bone.

As for me I always wear my seat belt, its a force of habit for me. Even when I'm pulling out of the garage to wash my Daytona right next to the garage I'm wearing it. When ever someone rides with me, I require that you wear a seat belt, otherwise I won't move out of Park and we'll just sit there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would think this is certainly true, but if your getting that kind of injury
from the seatbelt what would have happened without it? What I meant was
I've never heard of a case where someone not wearing a belt faired better
than some one with a belt in the same vehicle.
I haven't either. Usually it's the one's not wearing the seatbelt that are critically injured or are dead. All I know is that it's a damn good feeling being held tightly in your seat while everything around you is flipping, spinning, and rolling around. Though as soon as it came to a stop, I couldn't wait to get out of it!!!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This was a Public safety commercial jingle when I was a kid "Buckle up for safety's sake, don't you make a fatal mistake" I still use the slogan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Add another to the more often than not category. Actually I never uused to wear it at all, or only like on the highway and such. But since I bought the Charger I pretty nearly always wear it in that. Unless I am only going down the block or so.
Also I drive a delivery vehicle for a living, and when I am making in town deliveries, I usually don't have it on. However as soon as I get on the highway I always put it on.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Military regulation to operate a motor vehicle and after 19 years of it I put on my belt with out realizing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been wearing seatbelts since the 60's. It was company policy whenever I drove company vehicles and I got in the habit. I am glad I did. In 1978, my wife and I and 3 daughters survived a head on collision because of it. We had some broken bones and bruises, but both people in the other vehicle, who were not belted, were ejected and died. They looked like rag dolls bouncing down the highway. I will never forget the horrible sight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts