Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I traded in a 19 on a 21 and cannot get the seat down far enough. This car has a sunroof so it dropped the roof line a little, but I sat in another car with a roof just to make sure that I would fit, but the one I bought is different somehow. I drove one of these for 2 years I know where my seat should be when I'm driving and it isn't right...any ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
unfortunately with the sun roof and if you’re taller you really can’t go low enough. I’m 6’2” and have a sun roof and my head/hair rubs the ceiling. Pain in the ass but it is what it is. Love my car, just not a fan of the sunroof.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dunno about Chargers or newer cars in general after about 2005…. (Since I don’t do dealership work anymore, just what I own)

But I was tinkering with pickup trucks before I decided to go back to cars, and the Dodge trucks with power seats had a stop on the seat motor worm gears. Had to flip seat over or remove the motor/drive gear assembly. Pull a c-clip and pin and open one end of the worm gear so you could thread that out until the stop (on one truck it was a steel sleeve/bushing type thing. Then you could add a shorter sleeve or revolving the adjuster so the travel of the adjuster arm was different.

Sounds goofy as I try to explain it here. Sorry about that!

But if one was inclined to flip over a seat and look, I wonder if there wasn’t a way to change seat adjustment geometry by adjusting where the motors stop at each end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My seat is at lowest setting. I don’t know how much more it can go since it’s basically on the frame already. But worth a shot into looking underneath

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno about Chargers or newer cars in general after about 2005…. (Since I don’t do dealership work anymore, just what I own)

But I was tinkering with pickup trucks before I decided to go back to cars, and the Dodge trucks with power seats had a stop on the seat motor worm gears. Had to flip seat over or remove the motor/drive gear assembly. Pull a c-clip and pin and open one end of the worm gear so you could thread that out until the stop (on one truck it was a steel sleeve/bushing type thing. Then you could add a shorter sleeve or revolving the adjuster so the travel of the adjuster arm was different.

Sounds goofy as I try to explain it here. Sorry about that!

But if one was inclined to flip over a seat and look, I wonder if there wasn’t a way to change seat adjustment geometry by adjusting where the motors stop at each end?

I read something like that somewhere else too, something about a plastic sleeve on the seat rod that can be removed to increase the downward travel. I will ask one of the techs next time I'm at the dealer. As I said in my original post I sat in two cars, both had sunroofs and I was fine in the other one. It's like the seats aren't the same somehow.

Reactions: NoMoRaM

·
Registered
247 Posts
In my last car, I could get the seat so low it was like sitting on the floor.
My Charger has the seat all the way down, and it feels like a Pickup truck or SUV, but I am used to it now.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Will reclining the seat back a little give a little more head clearance?

Seems this guy went the opposite direction and raised his all the way.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So I traded in a 19 on a 21 and cannot get the seat down far enough. This car has a sunroof so it dropped the roof line a little, but I sat in another car with a roof just to make sure that I would fit, but the one I bought is different somehow. I drove one of these for 2 years I know where my seat should be when I'm driving and it isn't right...any ideas on this?
Front Headroom 38.6 (981) 36.9 (938.4) with sunroof

You lose 1.7 inches to the sunroof... I don' know why the 2019 would be different than the 2021 but I know I'll never have a sunroof!

I'm 6 foot 7 and it is still tight... most other sedans not a big deal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just curious if there’s less seat lowering capability in a car equipped with butt chillers or not?

If you can sit in one car and then switch to another and it be different as far as how low the seat base will go, wonder if they were equipped the same? Regardless of sunroof.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just curious if there’s less seat lowering capability in a car equipped with butt chillers or not?

If you can sit in one car and then switch to another and it be different as far as how low the seat base will go, wonder if they were equipped the same? Regardless of sunroof.

That's a great question... I'd guess not but they certainly could have limited the downward travel for cars with ventilated seats. It doesn't seem that way in the cars I've sat in.

I sat in a bunch of used Chargers 2015-2019 including many with sunroofs.... I just could not get the sunroof so it made it such a hard car to find. There are tons of no sunroof cars but they're usually complete base models and/or rental cars. Not very many with the Plus Group or Daytona Group that don't also have sunroof.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hmmm. 17 SP with the cooled Alcantara seats, sunroof, and I'm 6'2".
I don't keep my seat all the way down and I only really notice the low clearance when wearing a hat.
It hasn't been an issue for me in these 4 years. Maybe I have blocked it in my mind 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hmmm. 17 SP with the cooled Alcantara seats, sunroof, and I'm 6'2".
I don't keep my seat all the way down and I only really notice the low clearance when wearing a hat.
It hasn't been an issue for me in these 4 years. Maybe I have blocked it in my mind 🤷‍♂️
Lots of variables including the angle of the seat back. Even if you aren't a full gangster lean back I like to sit pretty upright. Also some guys height is in their legs and they aren't that tall in the saddle so to speak.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Lots of variables including the angle of the seat back. Even if you aren't a full gangster lean back I like to sit pretty upright. Also some guys height is in their legs and they aren't that tall in the saddle so to speak.
Haha. My Mopar club buddies make fun of me cause my seat back is 90 degrees lol. I could be 4 feet below the waist and 2 foot above 😆

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,133 Posts
It is possible your drivers seat isn't going all the way down if it's different than another one. I would go to the dealer with your car, sit in another one and see if it's the same or different. It's really the only way to know.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Haha. My Mopar club buddies make fun of me cause my seat back is 90 degrees lol. I could be 4 feet below the waist and 2 foot above 😆
Yeah I've never been a fan of the real leaned back look... I've got the really long arms for it but I like to be alert and ready to swerve around some numbskull if needed! If you sit upright and you're 6 foot 7 you're going to have trouble in a lot of cars but especially those with sunroofs.

Dodge has a lot less headroom than most of the Cadillacs I've sat in like a CTS etc. I just wish I could have a sunroof not because I like the sunroof but it is so much easier to find a nicely speced car it that's not a problem.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will reclining the seat back a little give a little more head clearance?

Seems this guy went the opposite direction and raised his all the way.
View attachment 299368
Im at the edge of being comfortable doing this honestly. I prefer an upright position when driving, I just feel safer that way.

My old car had the Plus package and both of the new cars I sat in had it. So there is the possibility that some option may affect this, but it's not that.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Well, reclining seems like an option but I can understand your situation now that you stated your height.

I recall the first time I drove an Intrepid rental car with the forward cab design. Roof height was not an issue but the forward cab design made it impossible to sit upright and be able to see a signal light. I had to slide down and squat in the seat to see signals if I was lead car at the intersection. Made driving very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, reclining seems like an option but I can understand your situation now that you stated your height.

I recall the first time I drove an Intrepid rental car with the forward cab design. Roof height was not an issue but the forward cab design made it impossible to sit upright and be able to see a signal light. I had to slide down and squat in the seat to see signals if I was lead car at the intersection. Made driving very uncomfortable.
I get the fact that I'm very tall and my new car has a sunroof, but honestly I'm leaning towards they may be using bin parts just to get these cars made. I'm not saying the seat rails are unsafe, but I am saying they may be for a different trim or model and hence the inconsistencies between the cars. For instance if they are using seat rails meant for the cloth seats with the leather seats, and the leather seats are a little taller, you lose that bit of headroom that you'd normally have. Hell it may even be the opposite, the other car with a sunroof that I sat in may have the wrong rails and that's why it sat down further. Honestly I just can't figure out why two of the exact same car would have different seating positions if they both have the same seats. Literally the only difference was that the other one had the red interior and mine has black. Although my old car also had the red interior, but I cant see that being a factor. I guess I'm just going to have to live with it for now, or get rid of the car.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I get the fact that I'm very tall and my new car has a sunroof, but honestly I'm leaning towards they may be using bin parts just to get these cars made. I'm not saying the seat rails are unsafe, but I am saying they may be for a different trim or model and hence the inconsistencies between the cars. For instance if they are using seat rails meant for the cloth seats with the leather seats, and the leather seats are a little taller, you lose that bit of headroom that you'd normally have. Hell it may even be the opposite, the other car with a sunroof that I sat in may have the wrong rails and that's why it sat down further. Honestly I just can't figure out why two of the exact same car would have different seating positions if they both have the same seats. Literally the only difference was that the other one had the red interior and mine has black. Although my old car also had the red interior, but I cant see that being a factor. I guess I'm just going to have to live with it for now, or get rid of the car.
Maybe you need to break the seat in a bit more.... I reckon over the years and miles you gain a few tenths of an inch when the bottom cushion compresses... some folks compress the seat more than others ;)

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe you need to break the seat in a bit more.... I reckon over the years and miles you gain a few tenths of an inch when the bottom cushion compresses... some folks compress the seat more than others ;)
Well Im just about 300 lbs so there may be a lot of compression to come lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts