Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in another part of the forums before I saw that you all had your own section. I have a question for you about the sealed shaker hood. Will this work with my MOPAR CAI? If not, does the other version work with it? I eventually want a shaker, but I would really hate to lose the look and sound of my CAI. Thanks in advance for your help. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are probably looking for something like this:

There is more to read up on doing that way from post #34 here:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54658&highlight=shaker+cai&page=4
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really sure what I need to do because I definitely want to keep my CAI. What is the deal with the non sealed version? I guess it is just purely cosmetic and serves no functional purpose. Does the shaker effect the sound at all? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I forget what the actual option was but Mo would know. I have the shaker and when I ordered he added a molded section where I could pipe my own tube towards the direction of my CAI. However I have not found that very effective so I actually just bought a stock daytona airbox from another memebr to pipe it into. As for keeping your sound, the shaker will change the car's sound, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
What is the deal with the non sealed version? Does the shaker effect the sound at all?
A non sealed version comes in two ways:

1) Shaker base and scoop that dumps air out the left side bottom onto the exhaust manifold. It looks like this:

2) Same as above but with a manifold molded on to the left side "under the covers" so air is then directed toward the air filter area, manifold looks like this:

NOTE: The first pick appears air may be going to a CAI however those side covers are for appearance, the manifold is needed to direct air or it will just dump out the bottom.

In this last pic you can see the manifold piece that is mounted under the rear trim piece. Without the manifold there would be no round hole in the pic, just outer shroud piece.

My Charger is still in the paint shop so I can't comment on the noise however since you are cutting a hole in the hood and removing part of the hood insulation I imagine you will have more sound under heavy throttle but should be still pretty quiet on cruise.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Charger is still in the paint shop so I can't comment on the noise however since you are cutting a hole in the hood and removing part of the hood insulation I imagine you will have more sound under heavy throttle but should be still pretty quiet on cruise.
I didn't even think about that to be honest, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info and pictures. :beerchug:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can help you on the sound issue. It's actually pretty cool. I can hear air being drawn in with the hood closed and next to it (imagine having your hood closed and having your current CAI sticking out of your hood..that what it sounds like). With the hole in the hood it it a little quieter than having the hood up...not much though. I kept the insulation in place by using 2 panels of the original on each side of the shaker hood support. I was running a Mopar CAI prior to this. I talked to the service manager about warrantee issues as well. He stated it wouldn't affect anything.

As far as under power I noticed no sound difference other than the exhaust was slightly quieter. I'm talking hammer down. Now just cruising the drone is much more noticeable than it was previously around 25-30 mph. Running 80 mph (which is the majority of my driving) the drone is non existant, I have to check with evic now to see when it's going btw 4 and 8 cylinders where as prior to the shaker I could hear it. This is with reso deletes and 3 1/2" x 18" tubes installed in place of the reos.

Would I do it again? You betcha. Somethings are just cooler than hell, This is one of them.

Matt, that last pic looks identical to my shaker.

HO, that is one good looking charger, love that orange.

Garry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can help you on the sound issue. It's actually pretty cool. I can hear air being drawn in with the hood closed and next to it (imagine having your hood closed and having your current CAI sticking out of your hood..that what it sounds like). With the hole in the hood it it a little quieter than having the hood up...not much though. I kept the insulation in place by using 2 panels of the original on each side of the shaker hood support. I was running a Mopar CAI prior to this. I talked to the service manager about warrantee issues as well. He stated it wouldn't affect anything.

As far as under power I noticed no sound difference other than the exhaust was slightly quieter. I'm talking hammer down. Now just cruising the drone is much more noticeable than it was previously around 25-30 mph. Running 80 mph (which is the majority of my driving) the drone is non existant, I have to check with evic now to see when it's going btw 4 and 8 cylinders where as prior to the shaker I could hear it. This is with reso deletes and 3 1/2" x 18" tubes installed in place of the reos.

Would I do it again? You betcha. Somethings are just cooler than hell, This is one of them.

Matt, that last pic looks identical to my shaker.

HO, that is one good looking charger, love that orange.

Garry
Thanks for the detailed response bro (and for the compliment on my Daytona). :beerchug: This is something that I am planning to do eventually. After reading a lot of information, I think that I will put the stock air box back on when I install the shaker and go with the sealed system. I have been trying to find a hood that I can buy locally so that I can keep my stock hood on the side. I plan to get the cut hood painted HO obviously and I want the decal painted on in matte black also. It is on my list definitely.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Spend the extra money and get the sealed system. If you buy it all at once as a package Mo usually gives a discount - check with him about this to be safe as I can't speak for him. Great product and great service!!

I initially bought mine in the non-sealed version and had to send it back to get it as the sealed system and pay shipping and the upgrade cost - would have cost me less if I would have bought it as a package the first time.

My opinion is I love the Shaker - very retro effect. I planned it from day one when I got the car.

Check some pics http://photobucket.com/images/sublime130/

One thing - the 5.7 Shaker will NOT work with a 6.1 or 6.1 manifold so make sure you are not going this route at a later date!!!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
3000 miles driving with it now and I'm definately getting a 1-2 mpg bump and she's running cooler. I parked yesterday to get a pizza for the grandkids. Two teenagers walked in after me and were looking at my car through the window one sad to the other "man that's a bad ass charger". I just smiled to myself.

I sat there looking at it and couldn't believe the amount of heat coming up around the shaker. It was in the low 80s and no wind and the heat waves where just coming up through the hole in my hood.

Garry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts