Charger Forums banner

SE or SXT Wadya think?

5K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  ARTEE 
#1 ·
Hey 3.5 guys! I have a couple questions. I will be purchasing either an SE or SXT in the late Spring / Early summer next year and have a couple questions.

First for those of you who have the SE is there anyway to take out the back of the back seat? I heard someplace you migth be able to remove it and put it back in for moving stuff.

Second If i bought the SE how much do you think it would cost to install and have fog lights installed. Both myself and if I brought it to a dealer.

Third how much would stock SXT wheels run me? Not necessary but I thought i could use the Steels for the winter and SXT wheel for the Summer.

Lastly I want to go SE but I really would like the 60/40 folding seats, wheels and fog lights . would you suggest I just do the SXT or would it be better to get the SE and upgrade wheels and fogs.

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah do the wheels chip off a start and are you satisfied with the performance. I currently drive a 2004 Neon R/T and I run a 7.6 0-60 and a 15.9 1/4 mile. is the 3.5 comparible?

See less See more
#2 ·
I looked at both options before ordering my SXT (the R/T would have been sweet but gas mileage and a 17 year old son guided my decision for the V6). I wanted the power driver seat, folding rear seat, rear seat arm rest, upgraded stereo, fog lamps and wheels so I thought the SXT was the best way to go.

With ESP engaged, the wheels will never chirp. My guess is that they will if you disengage the ESP. As far as performance, I think you will find that the V6 will match your Neon R/T but you will feel a whole lot better in the Charger. I plan on changing out the rubber (definintely not a strong suit for the car) and having the MOPAR CAT-BACK exhaust installed as soon as it becomes available.

Picked mine up May 28 and have driven over 11,600 miles....still can't wipe the stupid grin off my face :grin:

#4 · (Edited)
lg68jcu said:
First for those of you who have the SE is there anyway to take out the back of the back seat? I heard someplace you migth be able to remove it and put it back in for moving stuff.
I have the SXT so I couldn't answer that one for you. It was the 3rd item I considered when I decided to upgrade to the SXT. I wanted the 60/40 folding seats.

lg68jcu said:
Second If i bought the SE how much do you think it would cost to install and have fog lights installed. Both myself and if I brought it to a dealer.
I believe the fog light kit runs about $130. I understand it is a fairly easy install, however, the dealer (and only the dealer) can reprogram the cars chip set to accomodate the lights. I believe there are other posts around the forum suggsting the cost just for that is approx. $85.

lg68jcu said:
Third how much would stock SXT wheels run me? Not necessary but I thought i could use the Steels for the winter and SXT wheel for the Summer.
I have seen where you can pick up a set of charger rims on Ebay for as little as $400 per set (including shipping). Otherwise, I believe new ones run approx. $300 a piece. The stock rims for the Charger, 05 Magnum, and Chrysler 300 are all compatible but may have slight variations in look.

lg68jcu said:
Lastly I want to go SE but I really would like the 60/40 folding seats, wheels and fog lights . would you suggest I just do the SXT or would it be better to get the SE and upgrade wheels and fogs.
Tough call on that one. My first two ugrade priorities were (1) the Boston six speaker sound system with 275 watt amp. The is no comparison to the standard four speaker system. On the other hand, for some the Boston isn't even enough. I also understand that it is more difficult to add more speakers later to the SE as there are no "cut-outs" for them.

My second consideration was the wheels. After all of that, however, I had my dealer put custom 18" wheels on (rather than the 17" standard aluminum alloy), and then I went to Ebay and purchased steel SE rims for the winter ($350 including shipping & tires).

lg68jcu said:
Thanks guys!
No problem, no matter which way you go, it is a CHARGER!!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

lg68jcu said:
Oh yeah do the wheels chip off a start and are you satisfied with the performance. I currently drive a 2004 Neon R/T and I run a 7.6 0-60 and a 15.9 1/4 mile. is the 3.5 comparible?
All I know is that I can go from home to office in 10 minutes, and from office to home in 5! Is that me or the car????? :whistle:

#6 ·
lg68jcu said:
Hey 3.5 guys! I have a couple questions.............

.......First for those of you who have the SE is there anyway to take out the back of the back seat? I heard someplace you migth be able to remove it and put it back in for moving stuff................Thanks guys!..................

.......Oh yeah do the wheels chip off a start and are you satisfied with the performance............
About the Rear seat removal in the "SE" model -
I wanted a rear fold-down seat, but couldn't justify buying the SXT just to get that - and I was planning on adding in some of the SXT features later (ie - Fog lights, Aluminum rims (so I can get the ones I want), and I just put in my own stereo system).

To the "Seat Removal" question: Well, I had to take the rear seat out, to take the rear deck out, to install new 6x9's in the rear deck- AND it's not a quick and easy thing -
Here's the details, see the attached picture and refer to these steps:
Step #1: On each corner of the rear lower seat, pull up hard, until you hear it pop out of the car floor (it has metal loops that "plug" into the floor) - then remove the lower seat so that you can get to the "nuts" in step #2.

Step #2: loosen the "nuts" on Bolt #1 and Bolt #2 enough so that the seat can be tilted forward when you push down the Metal spring clips in Step #3.

Step #3: Push down Spring clip # 1, by sliding a long flat-head screw driver between the rear upper seat and the trunk wall (it takes some Trial and error), until you feel the metal spring clip go down - then tilt/pull that part of the seat forward - insert something between the trunk wall and the upper rear seat, to keep it from popping back in. Then do the same for Spring Clip #2.

Step #4: Then, once you are sure that the spring clips are dis-enganged, lift the upper rear seat (part) up, out and then tilt down. You can't go to far with it because of the attached seat belt straps.

.... And that is it (lots of fun) :wink: .

- Anyhow, I was thinking of replacing the existing seat brackets with hinged brackets and then attaching an extension to the spring clips so that I could just easily push the clips down by hand and then tilt the seat forward (but maybe I'll just skip that).

As far as the performance of the 3.5L V6 - It's good - But, I still get the "I wish I had the Hemi" blues. I find that I have to be careful and not do "short" passing manuvers or race certain cars off the light, because if I don't make it (end up losing) then I will bring shame to the Charger name. I figure that it's best to keep the other car(s) guessing how much performance is under the hood of the 3.5L - For example, heading into work today - some WRX'er was next to me at the light - the light turned green - he took off in a hurry - I didn't bother give the impression I was racing - I just let him go buy then he cut over in front of me - and we pulled into the left turn lane for where I work (he works in the same building) - I figured he was a schmuck because he could have gotten behind me earlier, because there wasn't any traffic. < So, even though, the WRX thing could still beat the Hemi off the light, in this case I wish I had the HEMI -because If I tried, it would have been a close one (race).

Oh well, sorry to ramble -

Good luck with your choice "SE" or "SXT".

Brian T.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for all of your help. Sounds like a pain but good to know its possible. Hows the trunk space in the chargers. would you be able to fit in a plastic lawn chair(the ones that do not fold and are molded) ? one wouldnt fit in my neon (of course) and my stratus. I am lookign for a big trunk especially if I cannot fold it down.

#9 ·
The SXT is so much better than a neon R/T they are not even in the same ballpark or league. I have my SXT doing donuts, I have also drifted it through corners all without help of dirt or loose gravel. Its just how you drive it. If I had the money I would of bought the R/T charger but The SXT is the greatest thing next to the charger R/T. It rides like a dream. :happy:
2006 SXT Charger.

#10 ·
lg68jcu said:
Thanks for all of your help. Sounds like a pain but good to know its possible. Hows the trunk space in the chargers. would you be able to fit in a plastic lawn chair(the ones that do not fold and are molded) ? one wouldnt fit in my neon (of course) and my stratus. I am lookign for a big trunk especially if I cannot fold it down.

Yes, I believe that you should not have a problem fitting a plastic lawn chair in the trunk. The opening may be a little narrow, but it should fit. I actually climbed all the way in the trunk, when I was mounting my amplifiers - and I am 6'3" and 225lbs. So, you could fit bodies in there if you wanted to :) .

- You could always take your lawn chair with you to the dealer, when you take a test drive :) .

Brian T.

#13 ·
shoudn't this go under the Sexy Chareger post? :embarrese

#14 · (Edited)
I got the SE, its not a hemi, but because of my tail lights....... I get more looks and some envy :).

Its all about what you do to the car........ to make it look unique sometimes.

This is mine couple days after it was bought.

You hemi or no hemi, sxt or se...... the car still from another planet.

#18 ·
BTW - get some wheel locks on that bad boy. Take it from someone who knows what it is to come out to your sled, to see it up on blocks...

#19 ·
i too had the problem of chosing the SE or SXT. I chose the SE, why? because the car is the same in size and style as the SXT. Nothin different expect alittle in the interior and chrome grill, fog lights and wheels on the exterior. You either can spend 26-28 thousand on SXT or get the SE and spend as low as 19000.00 . Now dont forget , even though the SE is the base model, it is not entirely basic at all. You still have your power windows , locks, cd player and more! I bought my SE in late July , I think the Silver steel color looks the best. I will be adding my fog lights (that you can buy for less than 100.00 on moparsupercenter.com) and I already have my RT wheels that I bought with tires for $522.00! So check the threads on chargerforums and also ebay for savings. Hope this helps.

p.s. now I have to go pay my monthly due for the car :)

#21 ·
dayummm... if you're main concerns are fog lights, aluminum wheels and a folding rear seat... no DOUBT... get the SE for under 20. that is an incredible steal and definitely the better value for what you are looking for.

add the wheels and fog lights cheap and ask yourself if the folding seat is a MUST have or, is it truly a nice to have. I owned a smaller 4 door for 8 years where I folded the seats maybe 4 or 5 times.

#22 ·
Might sound like small things, but the leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob are also part of the SXT package. Made moving from leather in the old car to cloth easy for me :)

This, the wheels, the Boston Acoustics premium audio, the 60/40 split etc. make it worth the add'l IMHO but that's if you want to spend the add'l. I went used to fit the SXT into my budget.

#23 ·
SXT or SE

Really liked the SXT but after some consideration bought the SE. Yea its a base model but decided I can do the "add ons" I wanted...larger moon roof, two tone leather seats, rims...etc... but either one you pick you will enjoy your new Charger. :grin:
So decide what you want to do...and compare the prices of what is offered and how much you wanna mod...it might be cheaper to go with a base model AND with some of the money you save you can have all the goodies with the mods.

#24 ·
If you can get a V8,,,,,,,,,,,get it. Don't waste your $$ on the V6 because you'll be dissapointed!! IMO, because I am.

#26 ·
I guess because it was cheap. But after spending more $$ to make it faster, it just doesn't do it for me. Like I said, I'm dissapointed in the V6, that's why I would recommend to get the V8 instead. That's just my Opinion,,,,,,you don't have to do it if you don't wannnna.

#27 ·
he was asking SE versus SXT... SXT versus RT is another question but, there is a much more significant price gap comparing SE versus RT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.