1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Charger R/T Max
It has the RB5P Uconnect Touch 8.4N
CD/DVD/MP3/NAV.
I am having trouble with the SD card reading the mp3 files.
I have made sure all files are mp3 files.

I repeatedly get a read error.
It will scan several files and finally start playing a song.
Sometimes it never plays, or I don't wait for it to find a file to play...

It also states that I have twice as many files on the card than are actually there?!

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I am bringing it in for the dealer to try an figure it out next week.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I would try formatting the the SD card (try FAT32). Was it used for something else before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT IS A NEW SD CARD.
I actually formatted it FAT32 anyway to see if it would help.
I just ran a disk utility on my MAC and it checks out OK.
Interesting note; my finder says there are 1495 files but the disk utility says there are 3046 files.
My radio finds 3046 files.
Unusual to me.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Not trying to be funny here. Do you have access to a PC to reformat it? Maybe it's a Mac incompatibility thing. Flash cards are about the touchiest things around.

Also, what brand is the card? Maybe try a different brand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try formatting on a PC. I think I can find one...
Actually I can dual boot on my MAC into Windows 7.
I just got a file transfer program to share files easily between the 2.
I'll let you know if that works...?!

I have tried a SanDisk SDHC 4.0gb and a Transcend SDHC 32gb.
The 32gb was reformatted in FAT32.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Also, if you have a spare flash drive, try the USB port.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I'd say, if neither works, it may need service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SD card read error

Have to use Windows! Does not work via ITunes or Mac.
I transferred all of my music to Windows 7 media player.
I then synced it in the app to the SD card.
Everything plays now perfectly.
Dodge does not indicate this in their Uconnect PDF document.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Mine does the exact same thing and I am also a mac user. Someday these manufacturers will see the light and make Mac the preferred platform!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but i don't believe it is a "mac" thing per se'. I have experienced all of these problems since I picked up my Charger in April and have been stuck with no solution. I have around 500 or so songs on my SD card and at times, it will only play 1 or 2 different songs and keep playing them over and over again, as if nothing else is on the card, even though I can see them and they play at other times. Shuffle on/off and/or repeat settings do not affect this. At other times, it will play most of the music, but certain songs (nothing particular about these) just won't play at all, or it plays for a second or two then goes to the next song. Often, when it hits one of those songs, you see the title come up on the screen and then it just skips to the next song without playing it. I also have noticed it will randomly skip to the next song with some songs are between 2/3 and nearly done, maybe 30 seconds left or so and then it just starts playing the next song. And yet furthermore, sometimes i just get a SD card (or disk) read error and it doesn't play anything. There is no rhyme or reason as to why these issues are coming up. For those affected songs, I have tried re ripping or even downloading that particular song with not a whole lot of success. All songs play fine on my computer and/or other media players and vehicles. To address the inevitable questions/comments: Yes I have formatted and reformatted the SD card several times (Fat 32) on Win 7 computer(s) and have same results from USB thumb drive. I don't use Macs so I obviously it affects Windows as well. I don't use any particular media program either, just drag and drop the media files onto the sd card or thumb drive. It just seems to be Dodge's buggy software since the IPOD interface is jacked too (tried that as well).

While I'm at it, I will go ahead and cite the ridiculous issue with the GPS interface, the search for POI feature is useless, as when you type in something, it will randomly search, and search, and search for something (10 minutes+) and never find anything (just hourglass). This is dumb, it is not going online and searching, it is merely referencing the internal C/D loaded database of POIs. If it doesn't find a match, it should return a no match found within a few seconds. Anymore than say 30 seconds and it's just a bust. I have found if it goes over a few seconds, it will never come back with a result. Oh, and should I mention the infamous service keyless entry message that came up randomly for a day or two and then went away? I would lock my car, go to the store, come back and the car is unlocked without me doing anything or being even close to it (I am aware about proximty) Come on Dodge, I didn't pay 30K to be a beta tester for your buggy software....

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but i don't believe it is a "mac" thing per se'. I have experienced all of these problems since I picked up my Charger in April and have been stuck with no solution. I have around 500 or so songs on my SD card and at times, it will only play 1 or 2 different songs and keep playing them over and over again, as if nothing else is on the card, even though I can see them and they play at other times. Shuffle on/off and/or repeat settings do not affect this. At other times, it will play most of the music, but certain songs (nothing particular about these) just won't play at all, or it plays for a second or two then goes to the next song. Often, when it hits one of those songs, you see the title come up on the screen and then it just skips to the next song without playing it. I also have noticed it will randomly skip to the next song with some songs are between 2/3 and nearly done, maybe 30 seconds left or so and then it just starts playing the next song. And yet furthermore, sometimes i just get a SD card (or disk) read error and it doesn't play anything. There is no rhyme or reason as to why these issues are coming up. For those affected songs, I have tried re ripping or even downloading that particular song with not a whole lot of success. All songs play fine on my computer and/or other media players and vehicles. To address the inevitable questions/comments: Yes I have formatted and reformatted the SD card several times (Fat 32) on Win 7 computer(s) and have same results from USB thumb drive. I don't use Macs so I obviously it affects Windows as well. I don't use any particular media program either, just drag and drop the media files onto the sd card or thumb drive. It just seems to be Dodge's buggy software since the IPOD interface is jacked too (tried that as well).

While I'm at it, I will go ahead and cite the ridiculous issue with the GPS interface, the search for POI feature is useless, as when you type in something, it will randomly search, and search, and search for something (10 minutes+) and never find anything (just hourglass). This is dumb, it is not going online and searching, it is merely referencing the internal C/D loaded database of POIs. If it doesn't find a match, it should return a no match found within a few seconds. Anymore than say 30 seconds and it's just a bust. I have found if it goes over a few seconds, it will never come back with a result. Oh, and should I mention the infamous service keyless entry message that came up randomly for a day or two and then went away? I would lock my car, go to the store, come back and the car is unlocked without me doing anything or being even close to it (I am aware about proximty) Come on Dodge, I didn't pay 30K to be a beta tester for your buggy software....
Actually this was a Mac thing, evident by his resolution. What you are experiencing is not a Mac thing. Two issues, similar symptoms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SD card

I used Windows 7 media player and exported to the SD card.
Everything works fine now !!

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are so many formats of mp3 out there, it may be that. There is constant bit rate and variable bit rate. Plus many different fixed bit rates, 128kb/s, 224kb/sec ect...

The problem may be the software doesn't like a specific format, probably the higher bit rates due to processing power. I don't know what the underlying os is on the radios but probably a form of Linux. It just may be a codec needs updating in the software. I would take it to the dealer and they might have a software upgrade for the units. I experienced something similar on my pioneer avic where it wouldn't play songs ripped with a program I used, but went to wmp and that worked perfectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are so many formats of mp3 out there, it may be that. There is constant bit rate and variable bit rate. Plus many different fixed bit rates, 128kb/s, 224kb/sec ect...

The problem may be the software doesn't like a specific format, probably the higher bit rates due to processing power. I don't know what the underlying os is on the radios but probably a form of Linux. It just may be a codec needs updating in the software. I would take it to the dealer and they might have a software upgrade for the units. I experienced something similar on my pioneer avic where it wouldn't play songs ripped with a program I used, but went to wmp and that worked perfectly.
I don't believe that is the issue in my case, have tried different bitrates, all constant no VBRs, and the fact that 500+ songs play fine and it is a random time when some don't play and others do. They are all ripped in the same fashion, so it is an issue with the 8.4 software. Again, the same files play fine on other media players and/or vehicles (Ford).

One other thing it does when it misbehaves is that it will keep one name of an artist in my collection, and permanently display that artists name no matter what song is playing, all though the song title is correct (i.e. Bruce Springsteen The Wall)...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Definately a software issue, it sounds like when the radio caches the song info upon mounting then later the cache gets corrupted as stuff happens ie navigation input, source switching ect and the cache gets partially overwritten. Probably a memory management issue. It may remember the card Id and refer to a corrupted cache if the size of the card diddnt change.
When it happens next, eject the card and add remove a song and see if the maybe forces it to update the cache. Things are to smart for there own good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used Windows 7 media player and exported to the SD card.
Everything works fine now !!
I have the SD Card Read Error randomly appearing on a new 2012 Charger R/T Max. I am interested in the apparent fix of exporting the mp3 files from Windows Media Player. But how do you do that? I can see a Synch command in WMP but that only works when you've gotten an iPod like device connected. How do you export from WMP to an SD card?

·
Registered
71 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts