Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up a screw in my left rear tire. It is not leaking air.

Do I fix it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
yes ............it will leak sooner or later

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, but dont just plug. Whats needed is to remove the tire, and the hole be plugged and patched from the inside. Only repair that makes recommend.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Also, when removing screw, do not pull. Unscrew the screw from the tire... you don't want the screw threads tearing up the tire belts any more than they already did going in!

With a patch job from the inside, you'll never have to worry about your tire ever again. It's a solid job when done right.

(of course, if the screw hit the sidewall, you're "screwed"...)

·
Registered
148 Posts
If your lucky some places do it for free. I got a rotation and they did it for free, I had a nail that didnt go all the way through and a BOLT! That was loud as all hell driving around with, thats why I originally went it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I had it patched from inside, only took 2 hours on a busy saturday.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Remember that any tire that has been patched, fixed, etc. Will not Be the same as per performance and safety. It's been stated from tire companies that highest speed recommended for a fixed tire is no more than 55mph, more than that, or any other kind of abuse(donuts,burnouts,etc) especially with our performance vehicles could lead to tire failure such as a blowout. If you drive like a granny keep your fixed tire, but If you use your charger like I use mine, be afraid, be very afraid!!! A patched tire is only a temp fix until you can get a new one.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Odd Ive never seen that about properly repaired (plug and patch from the inside) tires. Can you provide a link to that?

From Goodyear

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Mounting.html

Is it safe to repair a flat tire?

If a tire loses all or most of its air pressure, it must be removed from the wheel for a complete internal inspection to be sure it's not damaged. Tires that are run even short distances while flat are often damaged beyond repair. Most punctures, nail holes, or cuts up to 1/4 inch -- confined to the tread -- may be satisfactorily repaired by trained personnel using industry-approved methods.
And heres a link to where they specify how such a repair is to be made. And the fact that such a repair will allow the tire to retian its speed rating.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/police/psb_9811.cfm

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
It's old info, don't worry about it. I heard all these same stories back when I had my first screw in a tire (summer 1994 in my GTA) and the Goodyear shop was more than happy to patch the tire. I had money in hand ready to get a new tire (single, no responsibilities, it was all about that car back then) but they told me it would be a complete waste of money.

Same happened on my WS6 in 1999. Happened to my GTA a second time sometime in the 90s with a new set of GS'Cs... in all cases, the patch was touted as being completely safe.

Now, as I mentioned earlier: if the sidewall is touched, you are playing with fire. There's usually little hope for the tire at that point. But the tread area itself sees little torsional force to make a patch anywhere close to dangerous.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Odd Ive never seen that about properly repaired (plug and patch from the inside) tires. Can you provide a link to that?

From Goodyear

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Mounting.html

And heres a link to where they specify how such a repair is to be made. And the fact that such a repair will allow the tire to retian its speed rating.

I doubt most flat repairers follow these instructions.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i'm with triple. I've done flat repairs for 10 years. Never used a patch unless the hole is bigger than a pencil which you should replace tire anyways.
1. have the tire removed
2. Remove the object. IF its a screw unscrew it, everything else remove with *****.
3. Use a reamer to ream the hole. This will cut the sharp edges off any exposed belts that were broken.
4. with a buffer, air not car wax buffer, buff the inside of the tire til all the area around the hole is smooth and has no inner grooves sticking up. Put rubber cement on affected area. Go make sandwich
5. After cement has dried, apply patch. Roll it on with roller, You can buy this with the patch kit at carquest. cement all around outer edges of patch. Eat sandwich
6. When that rubber cement dries, apply a thin coat of bead sealer all around the patch and on top of it. This helps keep the rubber cement from obtaining moisture from people who air up tires with compressors that arent properly drained.
7. Put tire back on the wheel, most tires nowadays have an outside and an inside so make sure you know which is which or put it back on the way it came off.
8. Fill with air
9. Eat chips and have a soda pop
10. take a spray bottle with soap and water and spray area to make sure leak is gone. Will bubble badly if not.
11. throw her on the balancer, burp , and your done.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
places like that online site will tell you to fail a tire even when you shouldnt just to increase sales.
Thats like people that have had issues with tire pulls. If you got the tires at place x and its their tires that pull they will tell you to rotate and its all good. However if you come in with tire y to place x they will tell you the tire is junk and must be replaced. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
What's so complex about the instructions GLHS posted?

BTW, Wicked, the Goodyear shops that always did my patchwork had this small press-like vice that they used during the patching procedure, not the roll-on type. I don't recall if heat was also necessary...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I doubt most flat repairers follow these instructions.

Some do, some dont. Ive had three flats repaired, one on the wifes old Blazer, one on the SRT-4, and one on the SRT-8. In all cases they used the right method, just like wicked posted.

Its up to you, the consumer, to ensure that they do it right. In the first two, I just watched through the window. For the SRT-8 repair, I was there in the garage, and watched the whole process up close. Every step done right.

I'm a firm believer in a properly repiared tire being acceptable. Would I run a repaired tire at the rated limit for a long time? Nope. But given that my tires are rated for over 160, I'm pretty sure thats not going to be a problem:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Some do, some dont. Ive had three flats repaired, one on the wifes old Blazer, one on the SRT-4, and one on the SRT-8. In all cases they used the right method, just like wicked posted.

Its up to you, the consumer, to ensure that they do it right. In the first two, I just watched through the window. For the SRT-8 repair, I was there in the garage, and watched the whole process up close. Every step done right.

I'm a firm believer in a properly repiared tire being acceptable. Would I run a repaired tire at the rated limit for a long time? Nope. But given that my tires are rated for over 160, I'm pretty sure thats not going to be a problem:)
When I had my s/c 92 camaro I had eagle f1 tires they were only 4 months old when I had my first flat. I took it to goodyear, and they said they fixed it correctly and everything. One day coming home from school I was cruising at 80mph on the highway when the same tire blew out, My instinct was not to brake since I didn't want to loose control riding on 3 tires, so I coasted to a stop. The rim was messed up bad and the tire was shredded. I was furious and took the shredded tire to the goodyear dealer who fixed it and they told me it fit the normal circumstances for regular repair but found out through goodyears engineers that specialty tires such as my 20 inch low profile tires, and other tires like runflats have different reccomended repair limits. I was later cut a check for towing, my rim repair, and a voucher for a new set of tires. It wasn't the shops fault but goodyears for not giving their dealers specific instructions for these tires. Those Flat repair instructions are pretty much for the average tire, but not for specialty tires.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Could just be they told you that to forestall a lawsuit. I can see runflats having special repair procedures, if they can be repaired at all, but if 20s had different procedures, it would be published.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Could just be they told you that to forestall a lawsuit. I can see runflats having special repair procedures, if they can be repaired at all, but if 20s had different procedures, it would be published.
My brother is now the store manager of a goodyear gemini store...I'll have to ask him if he knows anything about it..

Talked to my bro and he said it wouldn't matter what size the tire is he said he's even repaired 24's. The rule they use is to not repair a puncture wider than 1/8 inch, Side wall,too little tread. Also runflats are repairable under the same circumstances as long as the tire does not actually run flat, If it does then it did it's job already. Also the patch limit is 4 with no more than one patch every 25% of the tire. So I told him my experience of what happened and said he wants to look into it and see if he can get a hold of my report...said it could be a coverup do to the fact that they even had my shredded tire shipped to them, examined and never got it back .

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Yes when i vehicle has been driven flat the sidewall gets eaten up like cottage cheese. Worthless. You take the tire off and flakes off sidewall are inside the tire or bubbles allover the inside and outside. Only thing worse is when people use fix a flat. Better buy a tire then

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Wicked, I know the SLime stuff becomes horrendous, but the stufff the SRT-8s come with (from what I can find, straight latex) isnt too bad. The stuff that dries is easily peeled off, the stuff thats still liquid inside, while messy, isnt clingy, wipes right off.

I help the guys at the tire shop clean my tire out, and tipped them each an extra 10 (on top of the whole repair being off the books, which they did on thier own) for the hassle.

From what I figure, MB, who had Continental develop the TireFit for them, decided that this was only a emegency system, and reuses of the tire was of higher priority than lastin forever, like the Slime products.

Hence the pure latex.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Matter of fact, the repaired tire, I have in the shed, bagged up, in case one of the Nittos suffers a flat, and I need something to keep me rolling while I order one in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts