Charger Forums banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Meaningless update - my dealership service advisor said today they don't have any answer other than it's an intentional change. I'm interested to hear what eventually is the story behind this, if Dodge or Brembo will ever share it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
^ That's what my dealer consistently tells me too; that it is a design change. Even if it wasn't a legit change I would expect them to say that. Mine was purchased in March last year, so it has the full sweep pads. But its not comforting to me knowing my dealer was unaware of this change when I mentioned it to them.

And I'm absolutely stumped why Brembo has not acknowledged any inquiries from those that reached out to them.

It appears no brake rotor has worn through due to this change. Nor has the narrower sweep rear pads glazed over from overheating. But then again this is a new change and we probably shouldn't be expecting to see problems appear this soon.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
And I'm absolutely stumped why Brembo has not acknowledged any inquiries from those that reached out to them.
Probably because we are not their customers in this case, FCA is, and they would only answer to them about this situation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to note: Started a thread couple days ago reporting my observations of a 2020 limited edition, "1 of 501", Daytona 50 Anniversary Charger. Took a look at its rear brakes. The rotors are showing the same wear pattern as being discussed in this thread, the outer ~3/8in. of the rotors untouched by the pads.

·
Registered
234 Posts
SRT called me back, w/o good news. He gave me the generic "since you're still under warranty, your local dealer will be happy to help you out"..,...yada, yada, yada. I'll call him back tomorrow anyway to clarify some things. Next step for me? BBB, and call my friendly attorney.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
SRT called me back, w/o good news. He gave me the generic "since you're still under warranty, your local dealer will be happy to help you out"..,...yada, yada, yada. I'll call him back tomorrow anyway to clarify some things. Next step for me? BBB, and call my friendly attorney.
Just out of curiosity, what do you expect an attorney to do? What is there to litigate?

We're all questioning the odd move to change the brake pads, and if I was an owner of a late model 2019 or 2020, I'd be a bit annoyed.

However, if this was simply a cost cutting measure, or done simply because some idiot wanted to, or for whatever reason, I don't necessarily know if we're entitled to any explanation. It would be nice if we would get one, but I highly doubt there is any legal reason for them to tell us.

It seems apparent that unfortunately this was an intended change, and if it was, I'm sure there was a reasoning and process done to ensure that it has no impact on performance of the brakes.

I put this in the same category as when companies change what tires they put on their new vehicle, or what sound system they use, or why newer models have different options than older ones.

I understand the complaint, and I'm in agreement with all those who are confused on the switch, I just don't know why any attorney would have any business in the matter.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If there was any reported issues regarding safety, there may be something there, but there hasn't been. You'll spend your life savings times 3 fighting FCA over something, that at this point, is a non-issue other than the fact we don't like the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If there was any reported issues regarding safety, there may be something there, but there hasn't been. You'll spend your life savings times 3 fighting FCA over something, that at this point, is a non-issue other than the fact we don't like the way it looks.
But don't you know they're entitled to something they don't deserve because they're offended by the shape of the brake pad?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Stella Awards have been awarded for a lot less. Lawyers know no boundaries.

You asked and I answered.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Stella Awards have been awarded for a lot less. Lawyers know no boundaries.

You asked and I answered.
I agree with you. You're answer is exactly what I was thinking too.

I'm certainly no attorney, but from my job, I do know what their retaining fees are, even for Joe Blow Esquire the DUI attorney.

You could be precisely right in that settlements have been made for a lot less. I'd agree to this in different subject areas.

I'd ask you to point to something similar in the auto industry. There would, in my opinion, have to be at minimum one reported incident regarding these brakes being a safety issue for any honest attorney to be willing to take the case. The individual filing said claim would also, to the best of my knowledge, have to be the victim or owner of said vehicle. Sure, there are countless attorneys who will take your money knowing you're filing a pointless lawsuit.

Not to repeat myself, but again, so far the only issue whatsoever with this debacle is that we, the consumer, do not like the change because it leaves a portion of the brake rotor unused. It's purely cosmetic.

A funny example;
A lot of health insurance companies with only cover braces for your teeth for adults if it's related to some sort of medical issue. A health insurance company will most likely not cover the expense of those braces simply because someone doesn't like the way their teeth look.

At this point in time, complaints to the BBB, and filing lawsuits over cosmetic reasons seems a bit silly.

They can simply say trade the car in if you don't like it. We've all purchased vehicles and at some point realized there was something about it we didn't like, but it was after the purchase. There's not much you can do.

Also, again, $50 dollars will solve the problem and then you wont give yourself a headache or waste your hard earned money. Buy a set of brake pads from someone other manufacturer.

Just my .02. I don't have issue with anyone doing what they feel appropriate regarding this.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Lawsuits in the auto industry aren't always related to defective parts, so maybe one example off the rails to make my point is the case of Connie Daniell, who crawled into her trunk to end her misery and then had a change of heart. She tried to get out using the emergency pull handle. A handle that didn't exist on her model of Ford. 6 or 8 days later she was discovered and recovered, then sued Ford. Didn't win but the point being made is that there's always a lawyer under a rock that will file a lawsuit.

I'm curious as hell about the rear brake pads and even though my scat has full size pads, my interest is peaked because someday when I need to replace them I want to know why the design is changed and does it affect braking efficiency over time or longevity of the pad and rotor life. Rear pads, no big deal . . . I get what some are saying in that regard. Doubt anyone would be blowing it off if it was the front pads. It shouldn't matter. I guess time will tell from those that have them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Considering it may affect thousands and thousands of cars, this could be huge. Remember the ONE guy that dyno'd his late-model Mustang Cobra, the 4.6, and found the engine down on HP due to the intake tube design??????? That grew like wild fire. This only affected 5300 cars, and NHTSA made them stop production until it was fixed. This was "only" a loss of HP, and not a safety issue like brakes. Ford blew the complainers off, and only until NHTSA got involved, did they correct it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yep, remember that.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nothing like that comes up searching around. Do you have and credible documentation about that? Doesn't seem like something the nhtsa would really care about. I could see civil suits or something if ford was advertising cars with more power than they really had. Also seems like it would be hard to prove with how much dynos vary.

Either way I doubt dodge is advertising stopping distances or pad surface area, so doesn't seem like anything similar. Just seems like someone wanting a cash grab. It would be nice to know why the change was made, but noone is owed anything here beyond an explanation.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Doesn't look like they mention the NHTSA in there. I'd figure that's more of a DOT/EPA thing when the engine isn't running within the parameters it was certified in or something, but who knows.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts