Charger Forums banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
So is this only on 6-piston cars?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It affects vehicles with either 6 or 4 piston Brembo's in the front. Both are equipped with 4 piston rear brakes which is the issue on both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This isn't the first time they've used seemingly undersized pads for the calipers and rotors on these cars. The rear pads on the cop brakes are in a very similar situation, they are about 1/4-1/3" shorter than the backing plate of the pad and of the rotor. There's probably a reason for them doing this, probably for front to rear balance. Milling the pads down was probably the cheapest way to achieve this.

Aside from that I can think of several reasons why they'd leave the rotor bigger. The most obvious is they've already got tooling and parts on the shelf for those rotors. Since the calipers are still able to accept the larger pad (probably the same caliper for cost/tooling reasons) the rotor needs to be large enough to accommodate that, otherwise you'd have the pad riding over the top of the rotor. Aside from coefficient of friction and clamping force, the next most important part of a braking system is probably thermal mass. A larger rotor will have more and will be less prone to fading.

By the way, you're not the only one here who sits in an office with a piece of paper on the wall that says "engineer" all day.
Always happy to have a good discussion. I’m not ruling out the possibility of a design change. It is possible they had 5000 rotors/calipers sitting around and decided to do a running change to prevent scrap loss. I just have my doubts and tend to error on the side of caution. Guilty until proven innocent IMO. I also don't want to spend money unnecessarily if someone can produce a document that says it’s perfectly fine and safe good. I still think it would be a crap decision but I’ll get over it. On the other hand if it is a defect I want it fixed ASAP. I prefer to be proactive rather than waiting around for a problem to show it’s ugly head.

But I digress I think it’s fair to say we have reached an understanding. Now let’s just watch and see what comes out of all of this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have anything this, but do have a question. Do the 2019 models have a different part number from the previous years through Dodge?

I went in looked in Advance Auto Parts, and for a 2017 Scat Pack the part number is PDX1057H and for a 2019 Scat Pack it's PDX1053H. That tells me it is indeed a change. Both part numbers are for:
Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads - Rear (4-Pad Set)

Wanted to make sure I complared apples to apples.... If the pics are correct, they even have a different shape.

And I don't believe any manufacture has to tell any comsumer of a change like this.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It affects vehicles with either 6 or 4 piston Brembo's in the front. Both are equipped with 4 piston rear brakes which is the issue on both.
Right but didn't know if it was only on 6-piston for balance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There’s a parallel thread going on challengertalk. FWIW - the way I read the insight over there is that it is indeed an official running change for 2019 with dealer service dept notice coming soon. But still no explanation to the ‘why’ for the change:

Scat Pack rear brake issues ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't have anything this, but do have a question. Do the 2019 models have a different part number from the previous years through Dodge?

I went in looked in Advance Auto Parts, and for a 2017 Scat Pack the part number is PDX1057H and for a 2019 Scat Pack it's PDX1053H. That tells me it is indeed a change. Both part numbers are for:
Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads - Rear (4-Pad Set)

Wanted to make sure I complared apples to apples.... If the pics are correct, they even have a different shape.

And I don't believe any manufacture has to tell any comsumer of a change like this.
I'm not sure what you looked at, but that 2017 link you sent is not for the Brembo brakes.

The Akebono ASP1053 is listed to fit both the '17 and the '19.

Neither (according to the images anyhow) are shaved like the me factory pads seem to be.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
On mine, I'd have to mill them down to the point of the scraper hitting, indicating worn out pads. As far as balance, isn't there still some kind of proportioning valve that senses weight FR/RR to add fluid flow? Is that "tapitalk" thing a phone only? I can't get anything on my laptop.

·
Registered
842 Posts
WB: Just enter challengertalk in the search bar on your computer and it will bring up the Challenger Forum. Just click on that and I think the brake pad thread is under the general challenger discussion forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2019 Scat Pack (11/19 build), with 570 miles, doesn't sweep the entire rear rotors. It leaves an area about half an inch unswept, similar to what the OP posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For anyone who hasn’t gone to the challenger form. There is a member there claiming to be an employee of the Brampton Assembly plant. They claim to have first hand information that this is an intended change. They are not providing any details as to why they did it though.

Its entirely possible he is just a troll but who knows. I’m still waiting for an official word from FCA because man this was a lousy decision on their part. Even if it is just a cosmetic problem its crazy that they would trade one defect for another.

Hopefully we’ll get some more answers soon.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just call SRT and talk to them. If anybody knows why they ordered this change it's them. Whether they will say or not I do not know.

1 - 855 - SRT - TEAM

Edit: Number Corrected

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I'm the OP BTW....don't yell at me. So I got 3 calls from my dealer in very quick order, 1. Was them telling me my warranty parts were in and that I could make an APPT to have the rotors and pads installed, 2. Was a woman with a very heavy accent that I couldn't quite understand, 3. Was the service manager telling me the replacement parts have the same machining to the pads and he has reached out to FCA to find out exactly what is going on and why this part was changed with no service notice. I have spoken with two local owners to me as well with late model 19's that have the same issue. They are both going to submit complaints through FCA based on the cost factor of reduced brake life and the potentially reduced stopping capacity. I do not know what route they will pick, the NHTSA or the BBB.

My comment on the above remarks that this is not a safety concern and the change looks deliberate. Look at the end of the day these are Chinese manufactured parts, their quality can be kind of sketch at times. Also I will always question this blatant of a change....especially when its the thing that stops my 4500 lb car from high speeds. I also work for a company that does automotive production, as well as aerospace. When we get a submission warrant for a part change there is a huge number of hoops to jump through and approvals to get. Even if the part stays exactly the same, but we slightly alter the method of production it has to go through PPAP's, SPC's, FAI's, etc and so on. That being said I would think that someone somewhere would know why they decided to whack half of my brake pad off.......

·
Registered
234 Posts
I never thought of the SRT number, so thanks Slidd! I spent 20 minutes with them, and sent ALL earlier e-mails to Brembo, and pictures so they have the details. This guy didn't understand the change either, and said that Brembo should have gotten back to me like they said. Another piece to the puzzle....

121 - 140 of 166 Posts