Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw up in my mouth a lil.

Charger Chief Engineer Burke Brown tackled with ease the controversy about whether the car is retro enough for all tastes.

"There are diehards who hoped we'd take the formula Mustang has taken where they try to replicate a car from the early '70s," Brown said.

"That's not our formula. Take a few steps back and look at what customers need today. You don't even see two-door pickups around anymore.

Two door pickups? The ones with no back seats ?, The ones with that small cargo space behind the front seats?
Seems to be a backseat in my old old 2 door charger.

Why are they increasing production of the Mustang if there is no market for 2 door's?
Please post figures of sales for the first year sales of the Charger, compared to first year sales of the new Mustang. I think that it will prove there is a market for mid priced 2 door sport cars.

The new Charger in a nice family car, (I don't care for the styling) but please stop blowing smoke up my rear telling me its the rebirth of a great sports car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hope you're not just trolling, but I guess I'll bite anyway.

I'm probably a good person to speak to your points, because I'm a current '99 Mustang owner and a prospective '06 Charger owner. I will also test drive the '05 Stang, but "on paper" the Charger is in the lead.

First off, I wasn't aware that whether a car is a "sports car" or a "family sedan" was determined by the number of doors. If they welded the rear doors shut to make it a 2 door, would it go any faster or handle any better? At that point, you might as well weld the front ones shut so you can hop in like them Duke boys.

The way I see it, if a car has balls, handles well, and has sporty, aggressive styling, I don't care if it's got eight doors. Of course, it's all subjective. Nissan used to call the Maxima a "4 Door Sports Car" (maybe they still do) and we all know that's a joke. There are also sporty 2-door coupes that don't have near the power and handling to be considered a legit sports car. It's not about how many doors, it's about your ability to blow the doors off the car that pulls up next to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lunger said:
I threw up in my mouth a lil.

Charger Chief Engineer Burke Brown tackled with ease the controversy about whether the car is retro enough for all tastes.

"There are diehards who hoped we'd take the formula Mustang has taken where they try to replicate a car from the early '70s," Brown said.

"That's not our formula. Take a few steps back and look at what customers need today. You don't even see two-door pickups around anymore.

Two door pickups? The ones with no back seats ?, The ones with that small cargo space behind the front seats?
Seems to be a backseat in my old old 2 door charger.

Why are they increasing production of the Mustang if there is no market for 2 door's?
Please post figures of sales for the first year sales of the Charger, compared to first year sales of the new Mustang. I think that it will prove there is a market for mid priced 2 door sport cars.

The new Charger in a nice family car, (I don't care for the styling) but please stop blowing smoke up my rear telling me its the rebirth of a great sports car.
Hey Lunger,

Thanks for the post, but if you are here to complain, why don't you take it to one of those "I hate the new charger" websites.... Sorry to be blunt, but I am pretty tired of the issue. I personally I like the car..

I believe the 2 door comparison maybe IMO comparing two door club cab trucks. Club cabs have all evolved to a 4 door setup.

The charger has independent rear suspension, stability control in comparison, the Mustang has neither...

I would love to post sales figures of the charger, but if you haven't noticed the charger has just started production. Expected figures suggest 40,000 with 8,000 SRT-8. I am not sure if they are included in the 40g, but I doubt it. This doesn't include it's cousins... (300C, Magnum)

Personally, I don't even like the comparison with the Mustang.... Oh, wait... Ford has nothing else... The "traditional" battle between the Big 3 was loosely based on the trans am series.... Challenger, Camaro, Trans Am, Mustang, and AMX... When/if the Chrysler does bring out the '2-Door' Challenger, then there will be an all out comparison.

This is my opinion... Please flame where needed.... :whistle:

Manic

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tonycpsu said:
I hope you're not just trolling, but I guess I'll bite anyway.

I'm probably a good person to speak to your points, because I'm a current '99 Mustang owner and a prospective '06 Charger owner. I will also test drive the '05 Stang, but "on paper" the Charger is in the lead.

First off, I wasn't aware that whether a car is a "sports car" or a "family sedan" was determined by the number of doors. If they welded the rear doors shut to make it a 2 door, would it go any faster or handle any better? At that point, you might as well weld the front ones shut so you can hop in like them Duke boys.

The way I see it, if a car has balls, handles well, and has sporty, aggressive styling, I don't care if it's got eight doors. Of course, it's all subjective. Nissan used to call the Maxima a "4 Door Sports Car" (maybe they still do) and we all know that's a joke. There are also sporty 2-door coupes that don't have near the power and handling to be considered a legit sports car. It's not about how many doors, it's about your ability to blow the doors off the car that pulls up next to you.
Hop in like the duke boys? Get a grip lol, as a Driver of a 73 dodge charger, and being 41 years old, i unwelded the doors on mine , not as limber as i use to be.(i'll sell you a sarcasm detector is you need for that line)

A car has ball's , handles well, and has a sporty aggressive style, able to blow doors off. your gonna pull up next to a new mustang/ vette. and gun your engine ? You must love getting laughed at.
I could spray 150 thru my wifes minivan and walk on your new charger. So now the wife minivan is a sporty aggressive drive?
I also know a man with a 750 hp gremlin, that can put the car on its bumper, should i telll him your in the market? lol

I stated its a nice car, I bitched about the ad campain and the amount of fanboys saying its the rebirth of a once great car, and about there constant bull**** on how 2 doors dont sell. Its bull**** and a lie.

I'm not a Ford man either, all my vehicles are Chrysler, Infact if you want to compare Owned Vehicles in a life time, I bet i have you beat on Chrysler products.

Some of you are tired of the Issue , hey deal with it. I am free to express my view point

·
Registered
74 Posts
why would the person in the new stang be laughing? the charger would TEAR that car up, i would think the stang driver would be crying

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm sorry,but am I missing something here?!!Because I think the new charger SRT-8 blows away in styling and power, any 1973 charger,I have ever seen.Oh, and by the way,don't turn too fast in that 73,you might tip over,like the old dinosaur that it is!!Anyways,come out of that old conformed prehistoric box that you put yourself and your car into!!!Don't bash it,until you try it!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lunger said:
The new Mustang will have plenty of sales because it is a NEW. Sales are always high in the beginning and eventually they slow down, the stang will follow this just like the 300 and PTcruiser did. The general public wants what they havnt seen and once they get use to it, then they will stop wanting it [as much]. If you want to make a valid comparison then use second years sales. Also, I dont see what your wife's minivan has to do with your arguement. From what you wrote your saying that because you can get a minivan to beat the new charger, then it isnt a "sporty aggressive drive". That same minivan would beat the **** out of stock 73 charger, so does that mean the 73 charger isnt a "sporty aggressive drive" and thus making it a shame to the charger name. I really dont understand what your trying to say. It just seems thats your problem with the new charger is that it doesnt look like an original charger in the sense of styling and amount of doors it has. But in this case, define what a original charger is, is it a Dart Charger? or is it 66-67? 68-70? you get the pattern??? the car evolved over the years, so whats to say that it wouldnt have evolved into what it is now?? ? Lastly, who cares how many chrysler products you have owned over the years, is this soppose to make you a guru of some kind???

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Mopar4MyCar said:
why would the person in the new stang be laughing? the charger would TEAR that car up, i would think the stang driver would be crying
The new Mustang GT is faster than the Charger R/T.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Killer_Mopar said:
That same minivan would beat the **** out of stock 73 charger, so does that mean the 73 charger isnt a "sporty aggressive drive" and thus making it a shame to the charger name.
Yeah, good call. That '73 probably ran 17s stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
South Oak Dodge in Chicago Heights Il has a "Cool Vanilla" Charger R/T with some aftermarket Dubs (Bling Bling) AND Old School Charger Script emblems and R/T emblems on the doors and Trunk. It looks HOTT. Funny how a simple emblem and wheel swap completely changed the look of the car. Peace Murf

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Murfman said:
South Oak Dodge in Chicago Heights Il has a "Cool Vanilla" Charger R/T with some aftermarket Dubs (Bling Bling) AND Old School Charger Script emblems and R/T emblems on the doors and Trunk. It looks HOTT. Funny how a simple emblem and wheel swap completely changed the look of the car. Peace Murf
Whoa I'd love to see it with the old school emblems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lunger said:
I stated its a nice car, I bitched about the ad campain and the amount of fanboys saying its the rebirth of a once great car, and about there constant bull**** on how 2 doors dont sell. Its bull**** and a lie.
Since none of you can seem to read this line, I put it in big bright lights for you too see.Why is it all you can do is ***** about everything but the main point of my post.
Flame on about my car. The car is 32 years old, and still running well, faster than ever. In 10 more years when your current car is laying in a junkyard, unused and not running, mine will still be driving down the road. Yes hang on when you turn the corner or you will slide across the seat and out the window. Personal i like the terms Lead Sled, or Big green boat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Killer_Mopar said:
Lastly, who cares how many chrysler products you have owned over the years, is this soppose to make you a guru of some kind???
First i said this because, someone thought i was a Ford fan because i brought up the New Mustang.

2nd Guru , no but because i have owned a few differnt ones, i can give you a better rundown of the pro's and cons of Chryselr Product's and different Engines and designs. Also since i work in the automotive field and have worked in most car plants in Canada and the U.S. I can relate there Phosphate and Ecoat process's , Paint quality , and the disposition of the workers assembling it.
Did you know that the 318 in the old grand cherokee's have a PCV tube so small that it clog's very easy, so that even if you change your oil every 3,000 miles if this tube is not checked the engine will sludge up.
Or that the 88 datona's with the CS packagewill tend to rip the sheet metal seams in your front quarter panels (if you own a manual and tend to hop on it a bit) where your front clip mounts.

Now if you want to belive a friend of a friend of my cousins ,mothers, brothers, 2nd unlce, who says he thinks something is ok , but he has never owned one , or drivin one . Be my guest

·
Registered
28 Posts
First off, nobody said you were a ford fan...you stated your history with ownership of chrysler products as poor attempt to prove that you know what your talking about. To further try proving this you start rambling on facts about a few select cars, cars that it sounds like you have owned and learned about these problems the hard way. WOW, you have me impressed, maybe I should start naming all the little problems that I have encountered with my cars, because I'm sure it will show you how much I know. Also, you say you've worked in "most" of the plants in the U.S. and Canada, this is obviously a lie. You might have delivered parts to most of them or taken a tour of most of them, but there is no way you could have worked in "most" of the plants, especially enough to "relate" to the building processes of that specific plant. Do you really expect anyone to believe that you have worked at "most" of the automotive plants? I'm sorry, but I refuse to take serious anyone that is an obvious liar.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Lunger said:
Since none of you can seem to read this line, I put it in big bright lights for you too see.Why is it all you can do is ***** about everything but the main point of my post.
Flame on about my car. The car is 32 years old, and still running well, faster than ever. In 10 more years when your current car is laying in a junkyard, unused and not running, mine will still be driving down the road. Yes hang on when you turn the corner or you will slide across the seat and out the window. Personal i like the terms Lead Sled, or Big green boat.
The part about 2-doors not selling is not BS. The only 2-door that sells is the Mustang. Here are some 2-doors that don't sell: Sebring, Stratus, Eclipse, Monte Carlo, GTO, Camaro, Firebird. I don't know about the Accord and Camry 2-doors, but I don't see very many of them.

Unfortunately, most people don't want 2-doors anymore. Mustangs are mostly bought by kids and empty nesters. If someone had the sack to build a big, RWD 2-door car that seats 4, it might sell. The GTO didn't, but you could blame other factors; mainly scarcity and dealer markup. (Does the GTO have a real back seat?)

Regarding your car, my ball-busting is assuredly good-natured. Besides, my car is already 13 years older and at 290k miles almost certainly more experienced than your car. And yes, when I turn a corner, everything goes flying across my vinyl bench seat.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts