Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share the difficulties I have been having with the MyGig radio in my car. The satellite portion of the radio recently quit working, and I was seeing the messages "Initializing" followed by "SAT Module Failure" displayed on the screen. Also, the traffic icon (usually green in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) turned orange. The navigation function, though, kept working.

I took the car to the dealership to have the problem resolved under warranty. They determined that the radio itself was at fault, so a new one was ordered.

Today I went back to the dealership to have the new radio installed. After the installation and before I left the dealership, I checked the function of the satellite radio and found that it operated EXACTLY like it did before the radio swap. The service department troubleshot the problem further and told me that the satellite module was separate from the radio, so the radio was not the component at fault. Surprisingly, though, they said the satellite module was NOT the cause of the problem either... instead they claim it is the antenna! To repair this, a new antenna will have to be ordered and they will have to remove the headliner to replace it.

To add insult to injury, I checked the software and hardware revisions of the radio after I left and compared them to the revisions that I had recorded off of my original radio. I discovered that all the revisions except for the one for Gracenotes seem to be OLDER than what was in my previous radio. Here is the data I recorded off of the NEW radio:

APPLICATION: 1.220
DATABASE: RS15-N0849 3.0.3
GRACENOTES: 1287
SDS: 160690
SYSTEM: 6815 008 3.8
NAV DATABASE: N 0849 3.0.3

Does anyone out there in the ChargerForums community have more detailed information on those items listed above? (Like, what is SDS?) Is there a way to decode the revision numbers? Also, what is the latest hardware and software revisions available? I am planning on asking the dealership to update all of this once I return for my antenna repair.

I will update this forum after the repair to let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I said I would post an update after my radio got fixed... finally I can do that! After multiple trips to two different dealerships, the issue is finally resolved.

The first dealership replaced the radio and the antenna. I was told at that dealership that the satellite module was an external component to the radio, but I found it surprising that a satellite module was not one of the components that were ordered. Terrible customer service from the service manager at that dealership led us to take the car elsewhere.

The second dealership consulted Chrysler tech support who again suggested to replace the radio. The radio was replaced, but again did not resolve the problem. I made mention that the satellite module was supposed to be a separate component... this was confirmed in the service manual, but the dealership said they could not find it located in the rear quarter panel where the service manual showed it to be. They ordered the cabling between the radio and the antenna and it was THIS component that actually resolved the issue.

The latest radio has the same software as my original, which is 2.043. I was hoping to have the latest software available, but the dealership was unaware of the details of this process.

Has anyone in the ChargerForums community had their database software and Gracenotes database updated at the dealership? If so, was there a charge to upgrading these items? I know the navigation updates have to be purchased through Navteq, but I am not certain whether or not there should be charges for the other two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts