Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 charger r/t and the same cylinder in bank 2 keeps misfiring. I have changed the spark plugs and coil packs and capacitor (i only have 1 capacitor on one side of coils dont know if it supposed to have 2 or not) but when i started the car and reved it the same coil pack (brand new this time) started smoking then split in half from the charge before i could turn the car off all other coil packs are fine but the same coil keeps misfiring and getting REALLY hot what could be causing the same bank to have an excessive flow of power and why in only bank 2?!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Simple, you need a pcm. Coil is 100% on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice im ordering the pcm right now should i go ahead and replace my wire harness too? From what i can tell they're hard to come by the only ones i could find are $400+ and only can be found on the mopar website they're becoming scarce and mine is in rough condition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple, you need a pcm. Coil is 100% on.
I replaced the pcm and its still misfiring in the same cylinder and is still burning the coil pack and now theirs a small crack in the valve cover from the heat what should i replace next?! PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
2010, Dodge Charger, Police, 3.5L V6
3 Posts
I replaced the pcm and its still misfiring in the same cylinder and is still burning the coil pack and now theirs a small crack in the valve cover from the heat what should i replace next?! PLEASE HELP!!
A professional vehicles repair shop should have the necessary engine analyzer to help verify the power sequences to your engine coil-on-plugs.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
So you bought a PCM based on internet advice?
What would you suggest then ? The coil is driven directly by the pcm. If there is no wiring short, the only other choice would be the pcm.
Saying "a good shop can diagnose this" now, is an of course statement, but when he originally asked would have been of no benifit in his personal trobleshooting before paying shop rates.
At this point I would look over the harness for a short to ground.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
449 Posts
Haven't we all bought repair parts based on Forum [internet] advise..?
Of course. On the dodge intrepid forum I was a member of for years, it was a well known and documented repair that if your 2nd gen trans went into limp mode, it was the valve body solenoid. You ordered the part and followed the how to if you were mechanically inclined. When mine went into limp mode and had the described symptoms I ordered the solenoid assy and fixed my trans.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is this a real question?! Or are you being ignorant to be funny?
It was more of an incredulous statement.
After shotgunning parts at your engine hoping to fix it, you join an internet forum out of desperation and take the advice of the first unknown stranger that replies and purchase a pcm(probably not cheap) based on two short sentences.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What would you suggest then ?
I didnt see this thread until after the OP bought the pcm and discovered it didn't fix the problem.
As I am not well versed on 12 year old dodge charger r/t ignition systems, I dont believe I would have suggested anything.

And it's too bad for the OP that you were wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's possible that you got a bad PCM, but unlikely that if you did, it would cause the exact same problem with the same coil. I can't even begin to calculate the odds. However, I think the suggestion of checking the grounds is a valid one. Bad grounds can cause any number of issues and if there is a bad ground to that coil, then a replacement PCM would not resolve the problem.
You say the valve cover is cracked from the heat. Have you replaced it yet? I wonder if the coil could be grounding against the cover instead of where it is supposed to, or more accurately, the electrical energy form the coil is taking the path of least resistance and it is completing its circuit against the cover and not via the plug. This would, I think, be similar to a spark plug wire burning through and arcing on another wire causing a short and a misfire.
I am not well versed in all the new electronics that todays cars have, but sometimes old school theories still have merit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's possible that you got a bad PCM, but unlikely that if you did, it would cause the exact same problem with the same coil. I can't even begin to calculate the odds. However, I think the suggestion of checking the grounds is a valid one. Bad grounds can cause any number of issues and if there is a bad ground to that coil, then a replacement PCM would not resolve the problem.
You say the valve cover is cracked from the heat. Have you replaced it yet? I wonder if the coil could be grounding against the cover instead of where it is supposed to, or more accurately, the electrical energy form the coil is taking the path of least resistance and it is completing its circuit against the cover and not via the plug. This would, I think, be similar to a spark plug wire burning through and arcing on another wire causing a short and a misfire.
I am not well versed in all the new electronics that todays cars have, but sometimes old school theories still have merit.
Thanks for the advice im gonna go ahead and buy and new wire harness and grounding wire ill lyk what happens

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didnt see this thread until after the OP bought the pcm and discovered it didn't fix the problem.
As I am not well versed on 12 year old dodge charger r/t ignition systems, I dont believe I would have suggested anything.

And it's too bad for the OP that you were wrong.
And for your sanity i want you to know the pcm was onmy 140$ and i returned as soon as i realized it wasnt the problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry pcm not cause this but bad lifter would chargers has way if takeing out the cam shaft such event would cause all your probems, with crack woud sujest over heating what would cause this bad head bad block but if block was crack u see white smoke so would have lay in cam shaft. would add that incress heat also sujest bad lifters , why coil is melting u no clue how close they are to melt as they are with a lifter broken, would burn out cam put mettle in the motor if not yeat soon will key is takeing look at cam and checking the lobes would eather confirm or dismiss this, or u can also tell u may have crack in the head, as no test can see this or even test for it u have take covers off bouth sides and check what looks like go from there ,, over voltage every thing be going out, most unlikely a pcm would do this but i have two heard of rusted grounding starps this would not cause the probem but could lead to device that is each grounding point should be jump with copper wire, some call this over kill as car uses 5 volts as we as 12 volts, wich is something most people dont know u need scan the voltage makeing shure 5volts dead on 5 volts, this key voltage must be 5 volts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the advice im gonna go ahead and buy and new wire harness and grounding wire ill lyk what happens
would hold on check cam shafft first . might save ton money, i got dodge charger i know they have odd probems,
its not wireing would not cuase this probem but lock up lifter would

1 - 20 of 33 Posts