Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough said can anyone out there tell me what the True hp gains from Kooks headers would or should be as ive heard many different opinions but would love to hear some from you guys that actually have them on your beasts!! aprreciate the feedback fellaws:grin:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I dont know, but I'd estimate the gains to be pretty minimal as the SRT8 come stock with a pretty nice set of shorties.
I've heard more than a few SRT8 guys saying the headers simply arent worth it, but that highflow cats are where its at.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Honestly after having the Kooks installed and viewing the Kooks versus the stock headers, I can't help but see that there WILL be some pretty good gain from the long tubes. When you look at them side by side you see the difference. The stock manifolds/headers remind me of my FRP shorty headers that I have on my 01 Mustang GT. The stock headers may be good but I do not see how they can flow nearly as well as the Kooks....No dyno numbers yet....
I was also one of the ones that thought that I would never get the long tubes. It was only until after the cam install did I re-think getting the long tubes to tie the cam in. The cam that I have is for low to mid range and the headers add to the mid to upper range rpms. I'm happy...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Gains are minimal without supporting mods: cat back exhaust, lower restriction intake.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Agreed
For an otherwise stock vehicle,the short answer is no.The 5.7 manifolds are pretty good performers.
"The 5.7 manifolds are only about 2% more restrictive then a free flowing system"said Robert Lee,Chrysler Vice president of Powertrain Development."
They're developed for the flow of the engine,so if the engine is stock it's hard to beat them.
Same holds for the SRT8 6.1,except they're like shorty headers.
Spending 1500.00 aprox is a lot for a handful of torque/hp unless you also do the supporting mods

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe once we have real tuning (if that ever happens) than you will see how superior the LTs are to OEM and even shorties. On the ls1 and ls2 GTO's with tuning, long tube headers would pick up upwards of 30 rwhp over stock. Some were seeing no goings with shorties. Basically the only people that were using shorties were people in California, because long tubes are against the law.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts