Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hear me out for a second.

The reason we all say that the RWD wheels won't fit on the AWD cars and vice-a-versa is the OFFSET being different, everything else is the same.

AWD offset is 55mm

RWD offset is what, something like 20mm ?

So the rims are the same width (7.5"), so installing the RWD wheel on an AWD car should push the outside of the wheel outward approx 35mm or about 1.4"

Is that enough to cause interference problems with the fender ?

Or would it be just close enough that it might actually work ?

I understand that the AWD wheel definitely won't fit the RWD car as it would probably touch the upper control arm or the tire would due to sidewall bulging, but the RWD may actually work on the AWD cars ...

Anybody have the resources to try this out ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You would probably have some rubbing issues as the suspension compresses and the fender lip comes down shaving the sidewall of the tire.
This is based on the width of the tire and clearance available.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What if any handling characteristics would change and can the suspension deal with the 1.4 inch difference? Number 2 what would they look like?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont SXT's come with the AWD rims now? They look very similiar.

AWD cars have the same rim whether they're SXT or RT (that might've changed for 2008, don't know)

The RWD SXT rim looks close but no cigar ... :smoke:

·
Registered
831 Posts
i think it would be a good possibility it may work since the awd lx's sit higher so you'll have a lot of clearance between the fender and the tire.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think it would be a good possibility it may work since the awd lx's sit higher so you'll have a lot of clearance between the fender and the tire.
Not mine :D

It's sitting on Eibach springs so the HUGE gap is gone :D

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bumpity bump

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was pretty flamed at the dealership when there was no way for me to add... or pay to upgrade to chrome wheels (from aluminum) after I paid more to add AWD on my factory ordered RT. The RT has chrome wheels standard until you add AWD, then you lose the chrome option. Really WTF!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I was pretty flamed at the dealership when there was no way for me to add... or pay to upgrade to chrome wheels (from aluminum) after I paid more to add AWD on my factory ordered RT. The RT has chrome wheels standard until you add AWD, then you lose the chrome option. Really WTF!
i would assume its cuz most who choose awd live where it snows. and chrome and snow are a bad combo lol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had factory chrome on my Z28 for 9 years and it holds up well to Massachusetts winters and road salt. I keep 'em clean and polished. With everyone so eager to modify these cars, you would think Dodge would provide an upgrade option to chrome cuz we like that flashy sporty look on these cars! (Heh, my car actually arrived at the dealer yesterday. Factory ordered 11/22 and came in 12/14. That was quick!!)

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump

:beerchug:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm sure it'll work with the wheel being 7.5 and 20mm offset. I'm going by the widest possible I know of working on an awd. That i know of a 9.5 with a 35 offset works. If u go by that model, then the 7.5 is 10mm more inside than the 9.5 and you should be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In two Weeks i'm bolting on a set of wheels from a challenger RT on my charger AWD to see if it will work I will take pics and post(if i can figure out how to).Iwill let you know if it works!.If it does that opens up a whole bunch of options for us.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did anybody try this yet? I love the look of having a wider tire and near the outer fender wall, kinda makes it look like a big dune buggy, but any tire rub on the fender well could be really bad. I don't plan on lowering mine because of the snow in the NJ/NY/PA area, but not having to worry about getting a 38- 55mm offset would be nice.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
there is an AWD 300 in my town with some black Boss 329's on it, as far as I know those are RWD rims, but maybe there is an application of that wheel for the AWD model, it looks good on the car, they don't seem to stick out at all.

I just looked them up and they are a 22x9 with a +40 offset so that wheel will indeed fit.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Has anyone done this yet? I really want to get some Chally RT wheels on my AWD sxt

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
well....for 2011up, AWD rims are +41mm backspace, the 18x7.5 and 20x8's are +24mm.

over on LXforums there's a dude with an AWD 2011 toxic orange charger, that he used some 20x8.5 boss 338's on his car, and they're +28mm offset (and 5x114.3mm bolt pattern, which is 5x4.5", or mustang bolt pattern)

he hasn't had any issue....now the stock RWD rims are only 4mm less offset than this (or about 5/32"), and they're .5" narrower, so the ouside of his rim actually sticks out about 3/32" FURTHER than using stock RWD rims on an AWD

I'd find someone local with a RWD and see if you could "borrow" his wheels for a quick fitup and see how it will work....

here's the thread

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f387/new-wheels-bt-shift-knob-308018/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts