Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Well it truth they're about the same. the RWD comes stock with 2.65 gears where the AWD comes with 3.06 gears. That makes them about the same. That being said, the AWD will/does have a better launch.

The Road and Track R/Ts are RWD and come with 3.06 gears so that gives those cars a little edge.

And the 2011 R/T Mopar 11's come with 3.92 gears, so they scream!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
What kind of "performance" are you interested in?

Overall "fun factor"
1/4 mi. drag times
Road Course track days (my favorite!)
Bad weather performance
Gas mileage

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Well then, they're about equal. I feel the AWD is better if you get a lot of rain and snow, but opinions vary. Proper tires help a lot for both kinds of cars.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When i first was in the market buying a charger i thought for sure i was going to get a AWD charger. The members here where fantastic giving there honest opinion on the pros and cons. The charger with RWD even in the the North with a proper winter tire set up is a great 12 month a year daily driver. The reasons i did not get AWD was limited rim selection because of the higher offset,the extra weight and the ride height turned me off. AWD is great for extra traction but people tend to forget it doesn't do squat for you when breaking.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Since we don't know where you are from, it's hard to give advice on what you would be better off with since you're using it for a DD. If you live in the snow belt states, I would go with the AWD. If you are somewhere where you seldom get inclement weather, there is no need for an AWD. One thing you need to know though, the newer AWD's are not fulltime AWD. They are RWD until certain criteria are met, (outdoor temperature, rain, wheel spin) which they then automatically switch to AWD and when it does it is so seamless you will never even know it switched over.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
Speaking of wheels, if you are ever thinking of changing the stock wheels, you have more options if you go with RWD instead of AWD!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yes, but there's still a pretty good selection of AWD wheels, imo. ;)

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Yes, but there's still a pretty good selection of AWD wheels, imo. ;)
Agreed.. At first it doesn't look like there's alot of options but if you check out CarID and Performanceplustires websites, you'll find quite a few options to choose from.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
X3....there are more and more AWD wheel options every year. And some are pretty badazz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts