Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 2007 Sublime Daytona is showing some rust :( on the rivets(bolts) in the center of the flat portion of the door hinge.

These rivets are about 3/4" round with a 1/4" circular dimple in the center. Hopefully this is enough info so you know what I'm referring to (I don't have the equipment with me for pics).

They aren't painted, appear to be naked steel.

Questions:

1) Are they unpainted on all Chargers, or is it just mine?

2) If they are rusting, can I get them replaced?

3) Is there a way I can keep them from rusting?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
My driver door top hinge is showing rust already too (around the top bolt) ... not happy to see rust on a 3 month old car ...

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I have it as well, took some Navy Jelly to it removed rust and put on some lithium grease. They were rusty when I took delivery, since then no rust

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi All,

My 2007 Sublime Daytona is showing some rust :( on the rivets(bolts) in the center of the flat portion of the door hinge.

These rivets are about 3/4" round with a 1/4" circular dimple in the center. Hopefully this is enough info so you know what I'm referring to (I don't have the equipment with me for pics).

They aren't painted, appear to be naked steel.

Questions:

1) Are they unpainted on all Chargers, or is it just mine?

2) If they are rusting, can I get them replaced?

3) Is there a way I can keep them from rusting?
90% of the Chargers show rust on those galvanized parts. Take it to the dealer - they should replace them.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
My driver door top hinge is showing rust already too (around the top bolt) ... not happy to see rust on a 3 month old car ...
Oops, I looked at it again today and it's actually the bottom hinge top bolt, not the top hinge ...

Looks nasty in the middle of all that silver ..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to the dealer (@13,500 miles/9 months ownership) - they took some pictures with a digital camera. About a couple of weeks later I got a 'postcard' from the dealership saying the part was approved by Chrysler for replacement and to schedule an appointment. All 4 doors x 2 screws each (8 in all) totally replaced!!! :)

I'm going to clean them off and paint them with touch-up paint so they don't rust again. Guess I should use a primer first to be sure.

Much better than risking rust spreading to the door hinges.

Lymzilla

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Well, I asked one of the techs at my dealership and he recommended I use anti-seize / lubricant, which worked out awesome, it almost matches the color of the car too.

I did all 4 doors on the hinge and the roller that rolls onto it ... very happy to see the rust gone and all my hinges permanently lubed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I asked one of the techs at my dealership and he recommended I use anti-seize / lubricant, which worked out awesome, it almost matches the color of the car too.

I did all 4 doors on the hinge and the roller that rolls onto it ... very happy to see the rust gone and all my hinges permanently lubed
I just noticed on your sig that your averaging 9.4 miles/gal with an AWD V8? You must be driving the **** out of that thing. The least amount of miles i've ever gotten to a tank is 180 something using 17 gallons.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I just noticed on your sig that your averaging 9.4 miles/gal with an AWD V8? You must be driving the **** out of that thing. The least amount of miles i've ever gotten to a tank is 180 something using 17 gallons.
I do 99% local / city driving .... mostly stop and go, idling during lunch time for 30 min or more ... the car gets 20-21 mpg on hwy with the MDS disabled ... nothing wrong :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.