Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought R1 rotors 2 months ago and I noticed today that the hubs are rusted already? Why is that? My OEM rotor have 50K miles on them and no rust? disappointed at this after all of that time putting on these rotors they are rusted already. Did I buy the cheap R1 rotors?

20141127_100559_resized.jpg

20141127_100612_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Not necessarily cheap rotors but definitely cheap paint job on the hubs. You can always sand them down and paint the hubs.

As a general rule, if you buy aftermarket rotors you should always paint the hubs before installing or they will rust like that. OEM has a different standard than aftermarket does.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So outside of OEM i will get rust unless i paint? We should stay away from OEM rotors? That has been discussed alot here.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Were they painted when you bought them?

I bought R1 rotors as well recently and they were painted black and look much better than the OEM ones, which were not painted and did rust.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No paint, what kind of black paint can i use?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have R1 rotors for two winters heading into 3rd and they aren't rusted but I got the premium ones that are coated.

As has been discussed a bunch rotors are basically a commodity with very few manufacturers the end seller does a coating or drills and slots them etc. I didn't bother with slots or holes counter productive to function.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dropped the ball on this one. I saw that my originals were not painted so i ASSumed that these would be the same. I most certainly would of bought the premium ones. Now i have to paint! This seems like it involves and of prep time, lenghty curing times and baking! I even spoke to the R1 guy on the phone and he didnt bring up this important point that i missed, not his fault.

Which paint can i just slop on? I dont want to remove everything and spray, how about paint in a can that i can use a brush, rustoleum? I dont care about fancy gloss, i just dont want to see rust. And i dont need the paint to last years, iam sure i will wind up buying new rotors next year.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My Eline rotor hubs have been rusted as well. For my next set, I will go with the coated premium rotors.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I would just use Rustoleum and brush it on. This way you will just need to remove the wheels but not the rotors. Just be sure to knock off the rust first with a wire brush.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea DDaddy i think thats what i will do, do i need rustoleum 500 degree paint? How hot do the hubs get?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts