Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rotated my wheels yesterday. The first wheel that came off was perfect, no corrosion on the hub or inside of the wheel.

When I get to the next wheel I notice some bubbling under the center cap and think to myself "aww crap"

Sure enough the wheel was stuck on pretty good. I wasn't able to pull it off on the first try and I had to drop the car back to the ground to get it unstuck. The rear hub was nice and rusted. Turns out 3 of the 4 hubs were rusty, same goes for the center cap area of 3 of my wheels.

Not wanting or having the time to pull out the grinder w/ wire cup brush and paint everything with rust inhibiting paint I ended up cleaning up everything (interior part of wheel, and hubs) the best I could with a wire brush and gave all the rusty/mating surfaces a nice coat of anti-seize to help protect against further rust.

All that said, is this normal? Will this give me problems down the road? My car lives outside (hopefully that will change within a year) and gets washed once (if not twice) a week in the winter time.

I am a little upset about the wheels. Although I'm not sure there is much that I can do.

/Just realized I finally passed 1k posts! Damn it sure took me long enough

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yep. Same here. Next time rotate my tires, I'm removing the center hubs and sand the corrosion out. Follow up with a polish and clear coat.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Next time I head to the dealership I'll take a look on the wheel hub, hopefully I won't see any rust.

P.S. Just made my 1,000th post, wohoo!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts