Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the past few weeks I've been going to the track to try and crack that elusive 12 sec barrier, coming close but no cigar. At the same time I've been getting to know Mike who has a nice 6.0 GTO silver steelish colored automatic GTO. My best times are 13.1s but the past couple weeks traction has been tough and I've only been able to get [email protected] you can see my trap speeds have been great though.

Mike has hit [email protected] with his GTO two weeks in a row. I told him last week we should do a showdown since they are so close, to add to the GTO vs. SRT8 debate. He obliged and we went at it today.

Both cars hot engine temps:

SRT8 GTO

60 ft: 2.06 2.03

1/8 8.67 8.65

mph 82.16 83.83

1/4 13.318 13.362

mph 106.96 105.04

close......

We both cooled all the way down and about an hour later went at it again. The SRT8 ran like it knew bragging rights were on the line...I'm on the left, he's on the right:

He totally jumped me out of the hole and probably had two car lengths. After the 1/8th mile I started reeling him in and was at his drivers door at the end of the 1/4. It's technically a loss, but also my first 12 sec pass!!! DA was -100.

He was really cool, came up to me and shook hands. They are close cars, slight advantage SRT8. And I'm not disappointed about that:rockon:

Eric

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dern! Nice work!

Gotta luv it when a 4 door sedan automatic can take on a much lighter coupe. Was the GTO an auto or manual? It'd been nice to see the out come if it'd gone longer than 1/4.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good race.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
NICE RACE:grin:

·
Registered
440 Posts
For all respect to "Cherry" and his drag racing tips I personally believe that cooling our Hemi's makes them slower. I have countless drag slips where I have run consistently 14.2 to 14.4 running her at 150 to 170 degrees. Only one time did I break 13 running cold. I Always ice down and wait for her to cool before running again. One day, when we were running out of time, I came off the track and ran hot. Hit 13 again. Came back off and ran even hotter. Hit 13 again. Ran at 227 degrees and ran the fastest I ever have. So I have spent some time running the Tona hot and compared all my slips. Taking into consideration my reaction time and all, the hotter this car is the faster it goes. Once im over 225 degrees im consistantly hitting 13. I will spend some time soon showing you all my slips. At least with this car I am no longer iceing it down because its too much fun to keep running faster and not have to "wait" for her to cool down. Believe me when I tell you that old school muscle needs ice and cool down time but this car loves it hot!! Im sure I will start controversy but I have about 30 time slips in front of me that prove otherwise. Just ask "wicked" she was there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What year was the GTO? I believe the newer ones run better and was hoping that is the one you ran. Nice runs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Still a very nice run. Compare reaction times tho, he was almost 3 tenths faster off the line then you. You really woulda killed if it wasn't for that. And all this with only a CAI and T-stat? Very respectable. It's time to change that 13.12 @ 108.4 to 12.94 @ 109.1

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
What year was the GTO? I believe the newer ones run better and was hoping that is the one you ran. Nice runs.
It had to be a 6.0 because a 5.7 would never run those times unless it was modded. If a GTO is running stride for stride with a SRT8 it is the new one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For all respect to "Cherry" and his drag racing tips I personally believe that cooling our Hemi's makes them slower. I have countless drag slips where I have run consistently 14.2 to 14.4 running her at 150 to 170 degrees. Only one time did I break 13 running cold. I Always ice down and wait for her to cool before running again. One day, when we were running out of time, I came off the track and ran hot. Hit 13 again. Came back off and ran even hotter. Hit 13 again. Ran at 227 degrees and ran the fastest I ever have. So I have spent some time running the Tona hot and compared all my slips. Taking into consideration my reaction time and all, the hotter this car is the faster it goes. Once im over 225 degrees im consistantly hitting 13. I will spend some time soon showing you all my slips. At least with this car I am no longer iceing it down because its too much fun to keep running faster and not have to "wait" for her to cool down. Believe me when I tell you that old school muscle needs ice and cool down time but this car loves it hot!! Im sure I will start controversy but I have about 30 time slips in front of me that prove otherwise. Just ask "wicked" she was there.
I agree to a point, my car will run strong all day hot, but my best times by a tenth or so always come when it's cooled off.

Check out this thread:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/sr...track.html?highlight=Another+day+at+the+track

Eric

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Too bad Ford doesn't play in the RWD sedan market. It would be just like the good old days - add in a 427 Torino!

The Mustang is kind of Jeckyll and Hyde. The stock ones (ex the rare GT500) can't compete with the GTO and SRT8 but the modded ones rule the tracks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts