Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began thinking about those informal rules of the road that so many drivers seem to have forgotten and I thought I would see what my fellow charger drivers might be encountering on the road. My drive in this morning reminded me of what might be argued as the most important rule of all:

Rules of the Road #1- Pay friggen attention to the cars around you… if they are going faster than you and you have 5 cars behind you riding the breaks in order to maintain your speed then you belong at least 2 lanes over or off the freeway all together!

I apologize if this seems rantish but it was a long and annoying commute!:knockout:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Oh man do I agree with that! It seems people are just too content with annoying the hell out of everyone else.
Rule 2: If there is a car's length of space between me and the car in front of me, that doesn't mean you can squeeze your ignorant butt in there. Be just a tad bit patient and wait for me to pass, then move over.
-J

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Rule 3: just because I leave a carlength or two of space in front of me in steady speed traffic does NOT mean I am holding you back from getting to your destination on time.

Do the math: 2 car lengths at 30 mph in dense urban morning traffic does NOT mean you will get to work later than if I moved up closer to the car in front of me ... especially if traffic flow is of the "accordion" type, moving 10mph then coming to a complete stop then immediately back to 10, to a complete stop, etc. If I decide to keep a steady 5 mph and the space in front of me varies from 1 to 3 car lengths depending on the accordion action just to avoid having to keep clutching and braking all the time, that's going to mean a much better chance of avoiding a collision and a better chance for everyone to get to work on time, no?

And of course, if I choose to do this, I do it in the right lane of the freeway, leaving several lanes to my left for anyone who disagrees with me to pass me... if they can. (of course, if cars could fly, this would be completely invalid as a rule).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with the move over if your slower rule.

I Would also like to bring back the, if i am behind you and come up to your bumper in a somewhat autobaun way, and flash my lights at you twice, its time to move over immediatly! rule.

Oh and the use your freakin turn signals rule...they are in most cars for a reason!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I Would also like to bring back the, if i am behind you and come up to your bumper in a somewhat autobaun way, and flash my lights at you twice, its time to move over immediatly! rule.
Can I add "as long as it's safe" to your otherwise excellent recommendation?

Many times I may be passing a quick moving Semi or a string of slower cars, and it just happens that someone comes up behind me and immediately expects me to alter the rules of physics and move over into spots occupied by other actual objects.

In a twisty urban-highway environment (who the heck designed this town of mine anyway???) as much as you may try to be aware of what's coming up behind you, someone moving much quicker than us may arrive at our bumpers after being obscured by other objects (natural or other vehicles) due to a curve in the road. So if I spot 'em coming up from behind, I will usually quicken the pace of passing to avoid any hassles for the guy, but it can happen that he may surprise us (good rule for quicker drivers... if you can't see them, chances are they haven't seen you).

I've been known to even floor it to clear the way for a polite quicker driver. A dumbass may however be met with indifference as I complete the pass at my original speed. A total moron will be met with me slowing down to tuck back in behind the string of cars or semis that I was initially passing. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes I do Agree, I too also Punish the unworthy of a speed up to clear the road. I think the double light flash is more of a waiting on you, when your ready, which should be soon, signal...nothing more nothing less.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Rule #4:

If you are traveling at 65mph and someone goes around to pass you do not attempt to speed up to 80mph just to keep that car behind you.

That is one of the most annoying things I come across several times per day. Someone is in the left lane holding back traffic and won't get over. Then you go around to pass them and apparently they have no clue that their Park Avenue Ultra will not outpower the hemi!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Rules of the Road #1- Pay friggen attention to the cars around you… if they are going faster than you and you have 5 cars behind you riding the breaks in order to maintain your speed then you belong at least 2 lanes over or off the freeway all together!

Some people just think its their job to regulate everybody elses speed. GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
HAHA! All of the situations that brought these rules, is just "normal" driving here in South FL.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rule #4:

If you are traveling at 65mph and someone goes around to pass you do not attempt to speed up to 80mph just to keep that car behind you.
I'll sometimes do this, but only because I know the person is going to try and pull the crap Crazy J mentioned in post #2 where they will squeeze themselves into your safe zone between the car in front of you.

When I'm in the left lane behind a car also in the left lane, and a person comes flying up in the right lane trying to squeeze between me and the car in front of me before they get stuck behind the car ahead of them in the right lane, that is the best way to piss me off, and I'd say it is completely justified to deny them the opportunity to get somebody killed by speeding up.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Rule # (whatever number we are on now). DO not tailgate!!!! I am driving the speed limit (in towns) or 10 MPH over (on the highway in the proper lane), you do not have any legal right to tailgate me. If I cannot see your front tires touching the road, your tailgating! Stop it, this is a roadway, not a racetrack! If your late for where ever your going, you should have left earlier. :lol: (not that I have issues)

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
USE YOUR FRIGGIN BLINKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, if ya drive a Prius, stay the F out of the fast lane :)

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Rule # (whatever number we are on now). DO not tailgate!!!! I am driving the speed limit (in towns) or 10 MPH over (on the highway in the proper lane), you do not have any legal right to tailgate me.

I consider tailgating to be analogous to some sort of attempted assault with a deadly weapon. You are putting my family and myself in mortal danger by consciously increasing the odds of a collision due to some unforeseen circumstance ahead of me. You might as well be pointing a loaded gun at us. I WILL take action. (usually it will involve visibly expressing my desire that he cease and desist and move along before I escalate the issue to a more personal nature, which thankfully I've only had to do once in my lifetime, back when I was still childless - I wouldn't have wanted my kids to see me like that).

If I cannot see your front tires touching the road, your tailgating!
Wow. I usually wait until I can't see the top of their hoods up by the windshield before taking action. Otherwise, I try to give 'em the benefit of the doubt that it was just distraction that got them this close.

Of course, I don't apply any of this in stop/go inch-along traffic, some folks just hate to leave any room for another to possibly cut in so there's nothing I can do about that... although I will express my displeasure if it is obvious the person is easily distracted while we're that close, or whether they hit too high a speed and then jam on the brakes too close, that's just plain dumb.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
rule number 7 (i believe)
if i'm going down a farm to market road (or any type of road really) at 50 mph, and there is NOBODY behind me, then DONT pull out in front of me and go 20 mph. and dont take an hour to accelerate up to the speed limit. if you are going to pull out and drive that slow then just wait for me to pass and then turn out behind me.

EDIT: in other words if you pull out infront of me i shouldnt have to hit my brakes. coasting is acceptable, but hitting my brakes just because somebody doesnt know how to drive gets annoying.

·
Registered
149 Posts
rule number 7 (i believe)
if i'm going down a farm to market road (or any type of road really) at 50 mph, and there is NOBODY behind me, then DONT pull out in front of me and go 20 mph. and dont take an hour to accelerate up to the speed limit. if you are going to pull out and drive that slow then just wait for me to pass and then turn out behind me.

EDIT: in other words if you pull out infront of me i shouldnt have to hit my brakes. coasting is acceptable, but hitting my brakes just because somebody doesnt know how to drive gets annoying.
While we dont have many farms or rural roads around the NYC area, we have something similar. People come through stop signs like a bat out of hell with out the slightest yield even when there is no one behind you. THEN they do ten miles an hour under the speed limit. Stopping for the stop sign is a rule however speeding up after running the stop sign and cutting someone off should be a rule un RULE #7 subsection A.

·
Registered
149 Posts
And oh yeah. You Moms in the minivans and Suvs on your way to drop the little s**t at school need to yeild to stop signs and children walking to school. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Rule #4:

That is one of the most annoying things I come across several times per day. Someone is in the left lane holding back traffic and won't get over. Then you go around to pass them and apparently they have no clue that their Park Avenue Ultra will not outpower the hemi!
Haha, I agree...I see it in Atlanta alot, especially as I switch lanes to pass them...I look over at them, and then they try to hit the gas and speed up...then I hit it and Im gone.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
You guys bring up alot of valid points...especially the tailgating...What does riding so close to me achieve? You are not going any faster? The funny thing is if an accident occured they would be pissed as hell like it wasnt their fault

·
Registered
879 Posts
Rule #8: If you drive a prius don't get on the freeway period.

Those things seem to take forever to get up hwy speed (maybe they're just trying to save gas).

Rule #9: If you see someone's blinker on and if you do nothing they can easily get in your lane, don't proceed to speed up and block them from entering.

Rule #10: If making a right turn into the street I'm going on and I'm going about 40, don't make a granny turn right in front of me and take forever to get to 20. If I'm in a rush and need to make a right turn and feel like I would cause the person driving towards me to slow down, I haul assssss, not only to not get rear ended, but it's just common courtesy.

Rule #11: Oh this one I can't stand! If you are traveling 55-60 on the hwy in the first couple of lanes and see that the fast lane is open, it is not an invitation for you to enter if you are going to continue going at that speed when the speed you are going is perfectly suited for driving in the lane your already in. You do not need the extra view.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts