Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a Charger but cant decide if I want to stick with the RT or move up to the SRT.

I do quite a bit of driving for work, prob 3-4k miles a month. This would be my only car. Right now I drive an 05 V6 vert Mustang, its not a bad car by any means but I really need 4 doors, more trunk space and the 210 hp aint cutting the mustard anymore. It has around 90k miles on it. Getting paid the government mileage rate straight up is awesome btw.

I can get used SRTs for around the same price as a newer RT. The obvious things steering me to the RT is the better gas mileage, no need for premium fuel and cheaper insurance rates.

I am Just looking for some opinions, I don't want to make the same mistake I made 3 years ago when I decided to go with the V6 instead of the GT mustang :driving:

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Drive em both but stock vs stock the SRT is more car. If you are really sweating gas mileage the RT may be better and can hang with a GT.

Anyone out there want to bet the over/under of this thread going ten pages? :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
on the hemi period i believe you need premium gas so thats not a factor i believe. Now as for gas milage you can get decent with a SRT. but even with the worse gas milage i would still hands down go for an SRT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the hemi period i believe you need premium gas so thats not a factor i believe. Now as for gas milage you can get decent with a SRT. but even with the worse gas milage i would still hands down go for an SRT
From what I read the 5.7L Hemi takes regular

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
in your situation, i would say get the R/T

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
If you can swing the payment get the SRT?!

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
The 6.1L Hemi needs 91 octane.

From what I read the 5.7L Hemi takes regular
The 5.7L Hemi wants 89 octane but will run on 87 octane, per the manual.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If mileage is your biggest concern, look at the R/T with the R&T package.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Just game the numbers out. Really. 3-4K, we'll assume 3500, with 3K being highway miles. I could build a formula on my TI-89, but its out in the car. Price of gas in your area, for both regular and premium, mileage figures for both vehicles. The output would be yearly costs for each vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I expect to drive about 20,000km /year. Don't panic because it's metric. We'll fix that shortly. Ten years is 200,000km. That's 125,000mi.

With the 5.7L engine I'm getting 17.4MPG. That's 7,183 gallons in ten years.
With a 6.1L engine I'd expect about 13MPG. That's 9,615 gallons in ten years.

The difference is about 2,500 gallons. Only the 6.1L engine calls for gas that is about 10% more expensive. So let's treat the difference as 2,750 gallons.

Gas in the US is about what... $2.50/gallon?

That's about $6,875 over ten years.

US dollars.

An SRT8 would have cost me about $8,000 CDN extra. That and the roughly $7,000 CDN in difference gas is about $15,000 over the ten years of ownership.

I spent $6000 CDN on my body work. End result is that Captain Genius that I am, I'm about $9,000 CDN ahead of the game, over ten years.

I just don't actually get to HAVE an SRT during that ten year period.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Unless your straight urban stoplight to stoplight, I dont think the SRT is going to be that low. Expect 14-15 normal city, I think.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I expect to drive about 20,000km /year. Don't panic because it's metric. We'll fix that shortly. Ten years is 200,000km. That's 125,000mi.

With the 5.7L engine I'm getting 17.4MPG. That's 7,183 gallons in ten years.
With a 6.1L engine I'd expect about 13MPG. That's 9,615 gallons in ten years.

The difference is about 2,500 gallons. Only the 6.1L engine calls for gas that is about 10% more expensive. So let's treat the difference as 2,750 gallons.

Gas in the US is about what... $2.50/gallon?

That's about $6,875 over ten years.

US dollars.

An SRT8 would have cost me about $8,000 CDN extra. That and the roughly $7,000 CDN in difference gas is about $15,000 over the ten years of ownership.

I spent $6000 CDN on my body work. End result is that Captain Genius that I am, I'm about $9,000 CDN ahead of the game, over ten years.

I just don't actually get to HAVE an SRT during that ten year period.

These numbers aren't realistic.

I used to have a Daytona and moved up to the SRT when I was presented with an excellent trade-in opportunity. With -IDENTICAL- city driving I get nearly the exact same city mileage with my SRT as I did with my Daytona. After my Daytona was broken-in, and Predatored, my Daytona got averaged about 14.2 mpg... My SRT averages about 13.5 mpg city. Highway my Daytona averaged about 23.5 mpg, my SRT 20.5 mpg. (So average of 19 mpg combined - Daytona vs. 17 combined SRT)

Both cars used premium gas. (Thanks Predator) So no gas price difference here...

So the corrected numbers for the above example:

Daytona:125,000 miles/19mpg = 6,578 gallons
SRT:125,000 miles/17mpg = 7,352 gallons

So 774 gallons, and at $2.50 a gallon, that's just shy of $2,000 over the course of ten years. Now, add in $7-$10 a month for increased insurance cost from an RT to SRT... that's approximately another grand over 10 years.

So $3,000 over ten years. Now compare the trade-in value of a ten-year old RT vs. SRT. The SRT will probably come in $2k better off.

That's makes the real cost of ownership difference about $1000 over ten years, or a measly $100 a year.

I'll take the SRT.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you can get a SRT8 then get it. I ended up with a RT because thats all the only dealer who approved me had in their lot. Luckily, I think I might end up doing a convert but it sounds like I will lose my warranty..

Ya. Get a SRT8.

·
Registered
145 Posts
coming from somebody who has both outside.
1 the gas milage is not pocket depleting different between the two
2 you shouldnt consider the purchase of an srt8 if your gonna want to nickle and dime it.
3 the srt8 is 100 times more fun to drive so sacrifices must be made. i gladdly pay the 60.00 extra a month in gas. (according to the math up top) 7000 over 10yrs, 700 a yr, 58 a month

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
These numbers aren't realistic.

I used to have a Daytona and moved up to the SRT when I was presented with an excellent trade-in opportunity. With -IDENTICAL- city driving I get nearly the exact same city mileage with my SRT as I did with my Daytona. After my Daytona was broken-in, and Predatored, my Daytona got averaged about 14.2 mpg... My SRT averages about 13.5 mpg city. Highway my Daytona averaged about 23.5 mpg, my SRT 20.5 mpg. (So average of 19 mpg combined - Daytona vs. 17 combined SRT)

Both cars used premium gas. (Thanks Predator) So no gas price difference here...

So the corrected numbers for the above example:

Daytona:125,000 miles/19mpg = 6,578 gallons
SRT:125,000 miles/17mpg = 7,352 gallons

So 774 gallons, and at $2.50 a gallon, that's just shy of $2,000 over the course of ten years. Now, add in $7-$10 a month for increased insurance cost from an RT to SRT... that's approximately another grand over 10 years.

So $3,000 over ten years. Now compare the trade-in value of a ten-year old RT vs. SRT. The SRT will probably come in $2k better off.

That's makes the real cost of ownership difference about $1000 over ten years, or a measly $100 a year.

I'll take the SRT.

I noticed the same thing with my Daytona and my 09 Bee. They get almost identical mileage in town, and almost identical on the highway. Now where my daytona got up to 30 MPG (Imperial gallons) my Bee gets bout 26 - 27 but that is consistant Highway MPG. My daytona went from 22 - 30 (Best I ever got once) so I would say they are very even. I am suprised at that since the 09 Bee does not have MDS. Dodge did something right for the 09's thats for sure cause I get great gas mileage. In fact with the mileage I am getting I am suprised there was an enviormental levy (Gas Guzzler Tax for you americans).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
coming from somebody who has both outside.
1 the gas milage is not pocket depleting different between the two
2 you shouldnt consider the purchase of an srt8 if your gonna want to nickle and dime it.
3 the srt8 is 100 times more fun to drive so sacrifices must be made. i gladdly pay the 60.00 extra a month in gas. (according to the math up top) 7000 over 10yrs, 700 a yr, 58 a month
Seems like most people are pointing towards SRT, which in all honesty is what I was leaning toward. I test drove an RT and really liked it, it is leagues better than my mustang. I will try to get around test driving an SRT later this week. How many miles you guys get on each tank for the SRT anyways?

Funny thing when talking about gas mileage, its amazing how bad the mileage is for my engine when it is only a 4.0L that produces 210 hp. I prob average around 20-21 overall and most of my miles are highway hahaha.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Seems like most people are pointing towards SRT, which in all honesty is what I was leaning toward. I test drove an RT and really liked it, it is leagues better than my mustang. I will try to get around test driving an SRT later this week. How many miles you guys get on each tank for the SRT anyways?
Funny thing when talking about gas mileage, its amazing how bad the mileage is for my engine when it is only a 4.0L that produces 210 hp. I prob average around 20-21 overall and most of my miles are highway hahaha.
it will be game over once you drive the SRT :rocker: I average 15-17 depending on what which way I take to work and that's around a 40 mile roundtrip commute... :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Miles per tank? I end up in the 240-280 range at 14-16mpg. More highway would up that to the 300 mile range, of course.

(Puts on turban, picks crystal ball)

The Great GLHStini has seen the future my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I brought back a thread title from that future!!!!!!

"Test drove the SRT-8, its in my driveway!!!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Miles per tank? I end up in the 240-280 range at 14-16mpg. More highway would up that to the 300 mile range, of course.

(Puts on turban, picks crystal ball)

The Great GLHStini has seen the future my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I brought back a thread title from that future!!!!!!

"Test drove the SRT-8, its in my driveway!!!"
Hahahaha, good one. One other thing I need is a good stereo system, but I can always add a kick ass one aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts