Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed recentley that my cars RPM pin is on or over the .5, and sometimes its under the 1, I marked it on the pic I attached, I dunno what seems to be the problem, when its on the .5 RPM the car seems a bit heavier than it is when its under the 1, anyways, I dunno what to do, its kinda anoying!!!

thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
That's where mine usually sits.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
575 Posts
When mine first starts up, the idle speed indicates just above 1,000 RPM, then it begins dropping down after a few seconds. As soon as I put it in any gear (Reverse or Drive), or after I have driven it for any period of time, the idle speed always indicates just above 500 RPM (about 600 or so).

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Engine idle (at operating temp) is set to 500 RPM for a 5.7.

Now depending on if your A/C is running, it will vary up and down a bit to compenstate for compressor drag.

I believe the Predetor will allow you to bump it up to 750 RPM's.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so its a normal thing i guess...

im always runnin my A/C but the weather is kinda changin the last couple of weeks, maybe because of that....

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I find with my daytona the RPM's are a bit low for the PS pump. It will occassionally require some additional turning force at idle.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
When I first start up, it idles around 1k, but after a couple minutes it begins to idle around 500 RPM, which is normal for the 5.7's.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5.7s only? mine is a 3.5 :D is it the same thing?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pretty much every car will idle in gear at operating temp somewhere between 500-700 RPM. If it drops below 500 and starts to shutter you have a problem

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
5.7s only? mine is a 3.5 :D is it the same thing?
V8s idle at lower rpms than V6s; V6s are lower than 4 cyls.

Basicly, one wants so many power stokes per minute. You get the 4 power strokes per 2 revs with an 8-cyl car; 3 per 2 revs with 6 cyls; 2 per 2 revs with a 4-cyl. (I think I've got that right. Someone will tell me, if I'm not! :D) So you can get the required number of power strokes per minute with a slower idle speed when you have more cylinders in your engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If it drops below 500 and starts to shutter you have a problem

That happens to me every now and then On my Daytona. What is the problem I might have, because the dealer cant duplicate it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts