Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know, I like to tinker & test stuff because I have too much free time on my hands and more $$ than I can spend thanks to the Covid-19 plague. (I am soooo bored sitting at home all the time...). I ran into this interesting part as an alternative way to get rid of the Penastar V6's awful factory intake accordion (choke) tube. This uses the stock air box & filter and simply replaces the restrictive accordion tube /resonator. It is a 3.5" diameter aluminum tube with a couple of 45-60 degree bends instead of the common 90 degree bend seen on most cold air intakes, so it may flow better. It looks like a good alternative for guys who want to add a "cold air intake" that isn't an open one that sucks in hot under hood air.

Seeing as it is on sale for $100 off ($249) I ordered a plain flat black one, along with a Hellcat lower air box ($45) and Mahle LX3482 Hellcat filter ($24). My white 2016 SXT Plus already has the excellent (and very expensive) AFE Momentum GT with the Hellcat air tube installed, but I am going to put this one on and see which one works better for performance and fuel mileage. It looks much shorter than the 5' long pipe on the AFE, so I'm expecting more top end performance and a possible loss of some low end torque -- we'll see ! (should be all installed by the end of the month if the parts all get here safe).

I put one of their intake pipes on our 2013 Chrysler 200 and it works very well (last pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received the air box and filter today, the top of my stock air box fits perfectly... now just waiting on the tube: it only has to travel from AZ to NM, so they must be in the process of building it...

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I installed one on my '19 Cherokee V6. It has been shown on dyno-testing to increase torque output, especially in the lower rpm ranges. It also changes the sound a little, a bit of drone but not bad.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed one on my '19 Cherokee V6. It has been shown on dyno-testing to increase torque output, especially in the lower rpm ranges. It also changes the sound a little, a bit of drone but not bad.
A low end torque increase would be very nice, my AFE gives a really good mid range bump (3,500 to 5,000)..it will be interesting to find out which is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Subscribed!

Does a longer tube really help with lower end torque?
Does a shorter tube really help with top end performance?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes to both... it is the reason Mopar uses variable intake manifolds...long path at lower RPM, short path at high rpms.... Have you ever seen the intake manifolds on a late 50's early 60s Mopar big block..wild:

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Subscribed!

Does a longer tube really help with lower end torque?
Does a shorter tube really help with top end performance?

The distance between the butterfly valve and the intake valve makes all the difference in the world. Filter to butterfly valve....not so much (unless there's a Procharger between them)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 GT+ Indigo Blue
2 Posts
As many of you know, I like to tinker & test stuff because I have too much free time on my hands and more $$ than I can spend thanks to the Covid-19 plague. (I am soooo bored sitting at home all the time...). I ran into this interesting part as an alternative way to get rid of the Penastar V6's awful factory intake accordion (choke) tube. This uses the stock air box & filter and simply replaces the restrictive accordion tube /resonator. It is a 3.5" diameter aluminum tube with a couple of 45-60 degree bends instead of the common 90 degree bend seen on most cold air intakes, so it may flow better. It looks like a good alternative for guys who want to add a "cold air intake" that isn't an open one that sucks in hot under hood air.

Seeing as it is on sale for $100 off ($249) I ordered a plain flat black one, along with a Hellcat lower air box ($45) and Mahle LX3482 Hellcat filter ($24). My white 2016 SXT Plus already has the excellent (and very expensive) AFE Momentum GT with the Hellcat air tube installed, but I am going to put this one on and see which one works better for performance and fuel mileage. It looks much shorter than the 5' long pipe on the AFE, so I'm expecting more top end performance and a possible loss of some low end torque -- we'll see ! (should be all installed by the end of the month if the parts all get here safe).

I put one of their intake pipes on our 2013 Chrysler 200 and it works very well (last pic).

I am looking to replace intake on my 2019 GT+. Wanted the Momentum GT but aFe says that it won’t fit with the OEM HID’s, I take it your sxt+ does not have the factory HID’s? Maybe your other setup will work better. I did not know if I could just swap out the hellcat lower and filter for the stock one. Any further input would be awesome! Thanx!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The AFE Momentum GT fit just fine with the HID head lights in my 2016...maybe the lights are a bit different on the 2020 models? (the ballasts on mine are on the inboard side of the housing and don't protrude anywhere). If the Factory air box fits, then the Momentum should also fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 GT+ Indigo Blue
2 Posts
The AFE Momentum GT fit just fine with the HID head lights in my 2016...maybe the lights are a bit different on the 2020 models?. If the Factory air box fits, then the Momentum should also fit.
Thanks! That’s what I thought as well just from the eye test, it looks like it should fit.
Out here in Vegas I really did not want to use an “open” CAI.
good info, I appreciate it. Obviously I’m a bit of a noob with the charger and needed some info.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I did some part number checking and the numbers changed a bit every year from 2015 to 2020, but the aftermarket housings all say they fit 2015-2020. There are internal wiring differences between the Halogen and HID lights, but the housing all appear to be the same..

Attachments

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
And I'll betcha a few of our past Presidents couldn't duck a flying shoe like he could! :D

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So the RPM Performance pipe arrived this afternoon... I guess the guys that make them in Glendale AZ have had their brains cooked a bit by the extreme heat... They totally spaced out that they needed to supply a grommet to go in the big 3/4" hole where the 5/16" air inlet temp sensor goes. Not a deal breaker, so I call them and they say "ooops, we'll mail you one on Monday". After dinner I take it out to the garage for a trial fit and find they sent the wrong silicon coupling for the air box outlet to the pipe. Both the air box outlet and pipe are 3.5" diameter but they sent a 3.5" x 4.125" coupling and matching clamps. I had to E-mail them this time (open M-F till 5 pm) I hope they will "overnight" the correct coupling, clamp and grommet Monday.

That Hellcat air box has about 1/3 more volume than my stock air box, its huge and smooth. ! I think I will like this set up once the parts arrive so that I can try it out. It is well made and aligns with the throttle body and air box nicely. It sure will be a lot easier to change the air filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the difference for sure.

It'll be a bit ironic after all this testing that one discovers the stock airbox turns out to be the best all along, lol.
How s the pipe construction/build/quality?
Is the powdercoat well done?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of the welds are a bit ugly, otherwise it is very nice, it is made of aluminum and very light. Since it sits nowhere near the radiator it should have little to no issue with heat soak (the air isn't in the pipe long enough to heat up much anyway, but there is very little "mass" to absorb and hold in heat.). Also, the tubing doesn't get crushed / bent out of shape by the T-Bolt clamps lke my AFE's plastic pipes did- some ends look more like eggs than circles.

I bought an Airaid "hump" hose off Amazon as it will be here way before RPM can send the correct coupling, and made an air inlet temp sensor grommet out of a caliper pin boot that will work for now:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The Air Inlet Temp Sensor grommet from RPM and the hump hose from Amazon came in the mail last night, all installed and test driven 50 miles at all kinds of speeds from 15 mph to JAIL... when comparing it to the AFE Momentum GT the best thing I can say is "Kalten Nachtarshe, oder bierne?" which is what my German grandpa used to say instead of "six of one, half dozen of another". In the end it is a wash: while I didn't feel the on rush of mid range torque from 3500- 5500 rpm that the AFE provides, the RPM felt like it had more torque across the rpm range- smooth delivery instead of a big rush in the middle. GPS showed the RPM intake was faster in the 1/4 mile (101 vs 97) and faster in the 3/8 mile (114 vs 109), but those numbers are likely weather (density altitude) related.

The RPM has a very NASTY snarl for about 1/2 second as it the rpms pass through the 5500-6500 rpm range... sounds like a timing chain slipping over its sprocket, it lets you know you are probably going too fast!

BTW: Kalten Nachtarshe, oder bierne? literally translates to "cold night ass, or a pear?" (AKA: cold bare butt or a pear)... so use your imagination !

Attachments

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Dang...looks like Afe takes the win, yet again - especially with overall fit and finish (those welds on the RPM tubing are a bit of a turnoff).

Do you plan to keep this or revert back to the Afe setup, eventually?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts