Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching the internet and these forums for a while and I can't find a good resolution to my dilemma. So please excuse me if a resolution was discussed before and i just missed it.

I've got a 2006 Charger 3.5L HO. One day I filled up the tank and when I drove off the car started to sputter real bad and smoke from the tailpipe. It eventually went away after driving for a little while, but a few times afterwards I would fill up and the same thing happened at each fill up.

Eventually that stopped, but the car has had a rough and jerky idle ever since. My mileage at the time was a few thousand over 100k. So I figured it could be the spark plugs. So I changed the spark plugs, pcv valve, oil & filter, air filter. Then a week later got a misfire 0301 code. Then I changed all 6 ignition coils and still got the 0301 code. So then I changed the fuel injector for that cylinder 1. after that the car would still idle rough but not as bad. Today (about a week and a half after the injector change) the 0301 code has returned.

Another thing to add is that I noticed over the last couple days that I can smell the exhaust fumes inside the cabin when I first start the car.

Somebody please HELP ME!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I've done a compression test and here are the results of the compression test:

Cyl 1 = 190 190
Cyl 2 = 190 185
Cyl 3 = 170 175

So i did the test on Cylinders 1 through 3, two times each. The variance between the lowest reading and the highest is only about 10% so it appears that I've "passed" the compression test right?

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
I've been searching the internet and these forums for a while and I can't find a good resolution to my dilemma. So please excuse me if a resolution was discussed before and i just missed it.

I've got a 2006 Charger 3.5L HO. One day I filled up the tank and when I drove off the car started to sputter real bad and smoke from the tailpipe. It eventually went away after driving for a little while, but a few times afterwards I would fill up and the same thing happened at each fill up.

Eventually that stopped, but the car has had a rough and jerky idle ever since. My mileage at the time was a few thousand over 100k. So I figured it could be the spark plugs. So I changed the spark plugs, pcv valve, oil & filter, air filter. Then a week later got a misfire 0301 code. Then I changed all 6 ignition coils and still got the 0301 code. So then I changed the fuel injector for that cylinder 1. after that the car would still idle rough but not as bad. Today (about a week and a half after the injector change) the 0301 code has returned.

Another thing to add is that I noticed over the last couple days that I can smell the exhaust fumes inside the cabin when I first start the car.

With that kind of mileage, you have cylinder deposits that get white hot and act like spark plugs. You can't clean it out with combustion cleaner or any off the shelf additives. This is very common with these cars over 100k miles. I have seen this over and over with the 3.5 and 5.7 & 6.1L.

Here is something I wrote a while back on this issue:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224185

ACES IV-FIC is what you need to really get this engine clean and no more P0300 and p0301 codes.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

There are several things that can cause the P301 code and the rough idle. While what Brain said may help, it won't resolve mechanical issues that could be the cause.

The list is generally comprised of dirty throttle body, bad cam position sensor, short runner valve sticking/broken or leaking plenum gasket.

I would start with the simple ones first and take them one at a time until you see the results of each. First is to inspect and clean the TB.

Follow that with the cam position sensor (inexpensive and simple to DIY).

After that requires removing the plenum and checking the short runner valve system and gaskets to the intake manifold.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
While I do agree with Ddaddy on the different mechanical procedures that he listed that may need to be visited, we do find that many people go the route of verifying that ACES IV-FIC will solve the problem by simply pouring in the materials over 13 tanks first before embarking on the mechanical route. If it can be solved this way, it saves a lot of time and money with this approach.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a complete list of what I've done so far:

- Change spark plugs & PCV Valve
- Change ignition coils
- change fuel injecter on cylinder 1
- clean throttle body
- Seafoam via vacuum line
- Clean short and long run actuator (Cleaned with carb cleaner)
- cylinder compression test
- swapped spark plugs 1 & 2

I did also remove the cam position sensor and did a visual inspection, but I have no idea how to test it to see if it's actually not working.

We also think it could be a electrical or computer issue because there was also a u0100 code that we saw yesterday. I had the battery tested and it reads good so a mechanic is suggesting to change the PCM.

I'm going crazy over this issue I tell ya

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
Here's a complete list of what I've done so far:

- Change spark plugs & PCV Valve
- Change ignition coils
- change fuel injecter on cylinder 1
- clean throttle body
- Seafoam via vacuum line
- Clean short and long run actuator (Cleaned with carb cleaner)
- cylinder compression test
- swapped spark plugs 1 & 2

I did also remove the cam position sensor and did a visual inspection, but I have no idea how to test it to see if it's actually not working.

We also think it could be a electrical or computer issue because there was also a u0100 code that we saw yesterday. I had the battery tested and it reads good so a mechanic is suggesting to change the PCM.

I'm going crazy over this issue I tell ya
Seafoam is worthless to solve the problems in the cylinders. Pale oil, napthalene and isopropyl alcohol.....doesn't touch hard varnish.

ACES IV-FIC is what is needed to get rid of the deposits in the engine.;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
...we do find that many people go the route of verifying that ACES IV-FIC will solve the problem by simply pouring in the materials over 13 tanks first before embarking on the mechanical route. If it can be solved this way, it saves a lot of time and money with this approach.:bigthumb:
LOL! 13 tanks before looking at mechanical issues??

That's about 3500 miles or 3 months of average driving. If it's a mechanical issue, that's faaaar too long to wait to address it. By then you could brick the engine.

While I agree Aces has value, it's never an either/or situation. Mechanical issues need to be pursued with priority when there are codes being thrown.

Especially with a persistent specific code like P0301.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
U0100-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ECM/PCM

Set Condition:

Bus messages not received from the ECM/PCM for approximately 500ms.

Possible Causes:

CAN B OR CAN C BUS CIRCUITS OPEN OR SHORTED
DTCS RELATED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE, IGNITION, OR VIN MESSAGES
FCM NOT CONFIGURED CORRECTLY
ECM/PCM
ECM/PCM POWER AND GROUND
MODULE THAT SET THIS DTC

Aces won't fix this, it's a mechanical issue.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
LOL! 13 tanks before looking at mechanical issues??

That's about 3500 miles or 3 months of average driving. If it's a mechanical issue, that's faaaar too long to wait to address it. By then you could brick the engine.

While I agree Aces has value, it's never an either/or situation. Mechanical issues need to be pursued with priority when there are codes being thrown.

Especially with a persistent specific code like P0301.
Missed the U0100 code. Yes, that is a mechanical issue. The P0301 is cylinder misfire and I was suggesting the FIC as it works much faster than regular ACES IV does in cleaning things up from deposits. What my point was many people have had the p0301 code and have gone the route of ACES IV-FIC and cleaned things up quickly and found that 90% of the time it is deposits in the cylinders and on the injectors that cause this problem.;)

The 13 tanks comment was how many 15 gallon tanks the product would treat. That was miscommunicated. Sorry.:cowsmile:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks so far for the help tips and advice guys. Here's another update:

I did some more simple cleaning yesterday. Cleaned up the IAT and MAP sensors with mass air flow cleaner. Today I did a vacuum gauge test and the reading i get is 23 which is above the normal range. So this should mean I have a intake restriction right?

Back to youtube I go to figure out how to find the intake restriction. Any tips with that?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts