Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having the same problem for months with my car, I have 4 codes popping up; p2302, p0301, p1411 and p0404. I’ve taken it to dodge to see if they could figure it out and they changed the MDS solenoid which cost over $1000, it ran good and had no issues a for a month but now I’m having the same problem. I’m going to change the fuel injectors to see if that helps but other than that I don’t know where to look for a solution.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
What year? What model?

All but the 0404 point to a cylinder #1 misfire. The 2302 is specifically the secondary circuit on the coil pack. Have you checked the plugs on that cylinder? The coil?

Always start with what the computer tells you is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
Put your car details in a signature line so you will not be asked or have to type it every post.

You say its when you run her hard romping and playing. It could be a number of things but I had the same thing, cylinder #2. Only when running it hard. I'm talking pedal floored between shifts. I changed coils thinking I found it but it returned later after installing a blower. And more often.

When I pulled my intake off to install the blower I noticed the No.2 cylinder intake port was wet with oil compared to the other 7. The PCV line is nearest that cylinder and I just hoped it was why kept going.

Long story short it was the valve stem seal. She was pulling it in on hard running. Even more under boost. I'm all good now after new seals.

So the next time it does it pull the plugs and show us pics. If black or candy glazed its oil. The plug threads will be wet too.
Monitor your exhaust on cold starts, heck hot starts as well and see if she puffs the light blue smoke. Mine did randomly. Not any more, never.

Not saying this is it but something to rule out anyway.

My No.2 port. See my finger wipe marks.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

My plugs. This one was just a CEL, not missing or running rough. Fresh oil change.
Wood Musical instrument Coil spring Gas Auto part

This one was running rough and I had to drive it 1/2 mile to the house and pull it. They all look very nice now.
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part Cameras & optics

Normal
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Audio equipment Machine

I you do need seals do not use Felpro, they pop off. Use comp cams.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve been having the same problem for months with my car, I have 4 codes popping up; p2302, p0301, p1411 and p0404. I’ve taken it to dodge to see if they could figure it out and they changed the MDS solenoid which cost over $1000, it ran good and had no issues a for a month but now I’m having the same problem. I’m going to change the fuel injectors to see if that helps but other than that I don’t know where to look for a solution.
[/QUOT
What year? What model?

All but the 0404 point to a cylinder #1 misfire. The 2302 is specifically the secondary circuit on the coil pack. Have you checked the plugs on that cylinder? The coil?

Always start with what the computer tells you is malfunctioning.
2006 charger rt,
I’ve replaced the spark plugs and coil packs when it first happened. I brought it to a mechanic and he told me it was the coil pack for cylinder 1 so they replaced that one and it was good for a week or so then the same problem occurred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put your car details in a signature line so you will not be asked or have to type it every post.

You say its when you run her hard romping and playing. It could be a number of things but I had the same thing, cylinder #2. Only when running it hard. I'm talking pedal floored between shifts. I changed coils thinking I found it but it returned later after installing a blower. And more often.

When I pulled my intake off to install the blower I noticed the No.2 cylinder intake port was wet with oil compared to the other 7. The PCV line is nearest that cylinder and I just hoped it was why kept going.

Long story short it was the valve stem seal. She was pulling it in on hard running. Even more under boost. I'm all good now after new seals.

So the next time it does it pull the plugs and show us pics. If black or candy glazed its oil. The plug threads will be wet too.
Monitor your exhaust on cold starts, heck hot starts as well and see if she puffs the light blue smoke. Mine did randomly. Not any more, never.

Not saying this is it but something to rule out anyway.

My No.2 port. See my finger wipe marks.
View attachment 301841

My plugs. This one was just a CEL, not missing or running rough. Fresh oil change.
View attachment 301842

This one was running rough and I had to drive it 1/2 mile to the house and pull it. They all look very nice now.
View attachment 301843

Normal
View attachment 301844

I you do need seals do not use Felpro, they pop off. Use comp cams.
I pulled out my spark plugs out today and showed my buddy who’s a mechanic out of state and he said they looked good and then switched coil packs around to see if I got a new code but still the same code was popping up.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
Copy that. I would have liked to see the pics. Anyways, just in case, keep an eye on your exhaust tips on startups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copy that. I would have liked to see the pics. Anyways, just in case, keep an eye on your exhaust tips on startups.
I have been looking up other reasons for misfires and rough idling and saw that fuel injectors may be the cause so I took a screw driver and listened to the clicking noise each injector makes and my brother and I both heard the 1st cylinder clicking faster than the rest. So this weekend my other buddy and I will change the fuel injectors and see where it leads us.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Vinny:
It would be quite unusual for all 8 of your injectors, to go belly up at the same time. The 2006 Charger Hemi engines are well known for valve seat issues. You don't say how many miles are on the car. Being an '06, I would assume well over 100k, correct?
BTW, there are 4 MDS solenoids. They run about $80 each for the oem part, which is the best way to go. If this shop charged you $1k to replace only 1, they saw you coming. The intake has to come off to access them, but once it is out of the way, they are right there. If you got all 4 for that price, that is not so bad. If they went aftermarket instead of oem to save a buck, that may be your issue.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m thinking it’s just the injector in cylinder 1 that went bad, and I don’t know if they were ever changed before I got the car, so I think changing all 8 won’t hurt it. When I got my car serviced for the MDS solenoid they didn’t say it was 4 just the one so I can’t tell much about that. I know if the valve seat problem and just hoping that isn’t the case for me

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’m thinking it’s just the injector in cylinder 1 that went bad, and I don’t know if they were ever changed before I got the car, so I think changing all 8 won’t hurt it. When I got my car serviced for the MDS solenoid they didn’t say it was 4 just the one so I can’t tell much about that. I know if the valve seat problem and just hoping that isn’t the case for me
It wouldn't run if you dropped a valve seat. Valve seats are what is probably the issue. If you can attach the picture of the plugs you showed your friend

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts