Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another American car, another American car with TERRIBLE OEM brakes.

After dealing with my 01 Grand Am GT's brakes when I bought that car new, I was hoping for better luck with this one. I bought Powerslot at $100 each at 15K miles and didn't touch the rotors again for 125K miles. Piece of mind.

The charger has warped rotors at 20K miles. Been that way for probably 5K miles. Hey, at least it made it further than the 5K the Grand Am did.

Anyway, every place I look for rotors, they don't sell anything for the 08.

What is everyone using because I'm sure this is a common issue. I am considering anything up to $100 each, but I am not sure I want to spend that much this time around... so recommendations for standard non slotted would be welcome too.

Certainly not going to allow the dealership to replace their crap with new crap.

...so frustrating... buy a new car and they totally CHEAP OUT on the brakes, which is probably one area they should not cheap out on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess anytime I buy a new car I should factor in the cost of rotors within a year. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
33 Posts
RI Concepts check them out nice aftermarket rotors and pads for our 08's they are a supporting vender .....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't think this is a common issue. I guess it depends on your driving style. I have 20K miles on mine. I have plenty of pad left and no pattern in the rotor, nor are they warped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My second set of OEM rotors just warped at 48k. I am looking for recommendations on a good set of slotted rotors for my 2007.

This problem certainly has a lot to do with driving style. I use the brakes as hard as I use the accelerator!

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Its not just an American car thing. I HATED my eclipse' brakes. I replaced those with powerslots and it was fine.

I had the worst experience with the OEM brakes on the Charger. Got R1 concepts, love them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just got my R1's slotted rotors installed and they are as smooth as can be when it comes to stopping. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
if you can do an upgrade to the RT calipers and rotors its WELL worth it. if you look around it can be done for around 100-200$

the smaller SE/SXT RWD rotors are ok for light drivers, but hauling near 4K lbs cars down repetitively can be a chore.

larger rotor and caliper offer more clamping force, and area for heat to disperse along with a wider area of clamping from the dual piston vs the single piston.

easy upgrade to do really. took all of 2-3 hours and alot of BS in included

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think this is a common issue. I guess it depends on your driving style. I have 20K miles on mine. I have plenty of pad left and no pattern in the rotor, nor are they warped.

I am going to pull back this old thread. I still have not gotten new rotors... just been living with it doing mostly in town driving.

As for the reasons they warped. I believe it was due to a trip into some of the larger mountains in Pa. Areas where you have to ride the brakes. Brakes got too hot and warped.

Driving style is very normal since 99% of the time, there are young kids in the back seat.

Oh, and Tirerack has Powerslot in stock for the 08's now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am going to pull back this old thread. I still have not gotten new rotors... just been living with it doing mostly in town driving.

As for the reasons they warped. I believe it was due to a trip into some of the larger mountains in Pa. Areas where you have to ride the brakes. Brakes got too hot and warped.
That's when you gear it down in 3rd or 2nd or heck even 1st if it's steep enough so you don't over heat the brakes. Any rotor will warp if you get them warm enough.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement in the OEM brake setup, but this is not an AMERICAN CAR issue as you so put it.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just put an order in for the R1 premium slotted and drilled rotors, and hawks HPS pads. Everyone seems to be loving them.
I noticed the other day that my brakes pulsated when braking hard...so i tossed in an order for these to replace my rotors and pads.

My only worry is breaking them in....I just put on the winter rims/tires today...perfect timing as it just snowed like CRAZY the past 2 days. Wondering how that is going to effect my ability to due a break-in process on them if the roads are crap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's when you gear it down in 3rd or 2nd or heck even 1st if it's steep enough so you don't over heat the brakes. Any rotor will warp if you get them warm enough.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement in the OEM brake setup, but this is not an AMERICAN CAR issue as you so put it.

I don't know... I ran the aftermarket rotors on the previous car (Grand Am) up there several times... maybe 10 total. I put 110K miles on the Powerslot rotors and sold the car with them still on there. They had no problems. One trip on the OEM and they are trash.

My opinion is that on the last two heavy cars I have had, the brakes could not handle it. Why can an aftermarket company get it right, but the maker of the vehicle can't?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I don't know... I ran the aftermarket rotors on the previous car (Grand Am) up there several times... maybe 10 total. I put 110K miles on the Powerslot rotors and sold the car with them still on there. They had no problems. One trip on the OEM and they are trash.

My opinion is that on the last two heavy cars I have had, the brakes could not handle it. Why can an aftermarket company get it right, but the maker of the vehicle can't?
Generally the maker of the vehicle, MAKES MOMEY off of repairs/maintainence with the AVG public...

Aftermarket is for DIY and more or less "those in the know"

plus, most aftermarket strive to surpass OEM.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts