Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I have a 2016 R/T and I've noticed, to the best of my description, a rotational grinding/scraping in the mid-front end. I don't think you can hear it from outside the vehicle but from the drivers seat, it sounds almost like it's beneath the center console up into the center dash behind the main panel. At first I thought it was my brakes/rotors but it's become more consistent and slightly louder. It is consistent with the vehicle's movement, meaning, the sound speed up at higher speeds and slows down at slower speeds, becoming more noticeable when coming to a stop, almost like if the rotors were scratchy. It doesn't do it at all while idle, only in movement. It's not affected while shifting or changing gears and there is no vibration associated with the noise.

I'm not very mechanically inclined LOL Anyone else have this issue or know what it could be? TIA

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Mona:
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking Charger you have there. How many miles on it? Is the noise only present when the vehicle is in motion? If so, I'd look at the driveshaft. It is a 2 piece unit, with a center bearing. The center bearing is a known issue. If you can hear the sound when you are stopped, I'd look at the water pump. They are a known issue on the 5.7L engine, especially for '15-'16.

Don

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mona:
Welcome to DDN. Nice looking Charger you have there. How many miles on it? Is the noise only present when the vehicle is in motion? If so, I'd look at the driveshaft. It is a 2 piece unit, with a center bearing. The center bearing is a known issue. If you can hear the sound when you are stopped, I'd look at the water pump. They are a known issue on the 5.7L engine, especially for '15-'16.

Don
DDN? Thank you! She's got 62k. Yes, only when it's in motion. You can't hear it at all while idle. I'll have the driveshaft looked at on Monday. It is still under warranty from the dealership so hopefully it's covered. Is that a difficult fix? Expensive? I appreciate the input! Thank you Don!

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Hi Mona:
Sorry about the DDN. I meant to type "the forum."
The driveshaft is usually serviced as a unit, so the would likely replace it as a unit. Hopefully the warranty will cover it, if that is your issue. I think the going rate for one, is in the $700-$800 range not including labor.

Don

· Registered
10 Posts
Hello all! I have a 2016 R/T and I've noticed, to the best of my description, a rotational grinding/scraping in the mid-front end. I don't think you can hear it from outside the vehicle but from the drivers seat, it sounds almost like it's beneath the center console up into the center dash behind the main panel. At first I thought it was my brakes/rotors but it's become more consistent and slightly louder. It is consistent with the vehicle's movement, meaning, the sound speed up at higher speeds and slows down at slower speeds, becoming more noticeable when coming to a stop, almost like if the rotors were scratchy. It doesn't do it at all while idle, only in movement. It's not affected while shifting or changing gears and there is no vibration associated with the noise.

I'm not very mechanically inclined LOL Anyone else have this issue or know what it could be? TIA
Check wheel bearings

· Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,360 Posts
I doubt that we’ll know, they haven’t been on here since their last post in this thread.
It would be nice for people to come back with a follow up as to the resolution.

Reactions: N8ECH
1 - 8 of 8 Posts