Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a step byu step tutorial on how to install thes ethings,... the instructions dont make much sense to me and I just screwed up the whole thing... just through cash down the toilet.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated because now i am determined to do this...........

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Here's what I did:

1) Use masking tape to position the stripe on the car. I put my tape along the top edge, but it doesn't really matter.

2) Use an Xacto knife (or boxcutter, or something similar) to cut the stripe at all the door gaps. I cut it at the front of each gap and wrapped the excess around the back edge. Obviously, you need at least one piece of masking tape per section, or else that section will fall off the car once you cut it away from the secured sections.

3) For each section of stripe:
a) Untape half of it and hold it away from the car.
b) Spray the car with soapy water
c) Peel off the backing. Use scissors to cut the backing off. A second pair of hands can be very helpful during this step, to hold the exposed stripe away from the car while you cut the backing. Spray the sticky side of the stripe with soapy water as well.
d) Lower the stripe onto the car. The alignment should still be good because of the other half of the section that's still taped down. If it's not, the soapy water will allow you to slide the stripe around and make sure it's exactly where you want it.
e) When you're happy with the alignment and ready to commit, slide a hard flat surface (a squeegee) along the stripe, from the middle to the end...this will press it down evenly. Run the squeegee over it several times to get out all the excess water between the stripe and the car. This should also minimize any bubbles in the stripe; if you see any, try to work them out with the squeegee. Leave the front paper on the stripe until after this step to avoid scratching the stripe.
f) Now do the same with the other half of the section; its alignment will still be good because of the half you already have on the car.
g) After giving the stripe a few minutes to dry and really stick well, remove the paper from the front of the stripe. To do this, pull slowly and at a 180-degree angle to make sure you don't pull the stripe off the car.
h) You will probably see some bubbles even after trying to get them out with the squeegee. Some of them will go away on their own over the next few days. You can also take a straight pin and poke a hole in the middle of the bubble to let the air out. You only want a tiny hole; don't make it a rip or slash because that can rip further over time.

I think that's about it...it's been over a year since I put my stripes on, but I'm pretty sure that's all the steps involved.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have a picture of yours? im just curious to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts