Charger Forums banner

What do you think of Roadside Memorials?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More and more I see these roadside memorials, presumably where someone has died as a result of a collision.

They usually consist of flowers, ribbons, crosses, stuffed animals, etc.

Personally, I really don't get it.

Of course it is tragic and sad to lose a loved one in such a traumatic way, but I don't understand the point of these things. I mean, I'm not aware of this type of thing being done in other situations involving death.

Maybe I'm just a cold heartless bastage. I'm not sure.

But certain things don't make sense to me.

I've never understood the whole candle-light vigil thing, etiher, for that matter. (Especially when people do it for celebrities they never even knew)

But anyway, here I am jacking my own thread in the first post.

What do you all think of these roadside memorials?

-=FLEX=-

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
yea when I see them I know that life can end at anytime. those people were having a good time with friends or family and then out of no where somthing happened and life was over....although somtimes they get a little excessive with what they put in the area and the size of them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it helps friends and family cope... go for it. Less it's an eyesore. If you're going to put one up at least make it pleasing to look at for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Not really into them. At first they're fine but eventually they succumb to the elements an no one cleans them up because it would be heartless to do so and the families don't do it themselves.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Perfectly acceptable and honestly a good reminder to everyone else on the road that you are driving around in a two ton casket if you aren't careful.

Today we have more distractions in the car than ever before, coupled with more cars on the roads - consider the road side memorial a public service announcement.

Never hurts anyone to see them, hopefully conjures some meaningful thought.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I dont need some flowers and a wooden cross to remind me that death rides shotgun every time you get behind the wheel. And we other outlets for helping families cope.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I dont need some flowers and a wooden cross to remind me that death rides shotgun every time you get behind the wheel. And we other outlets for helping families cope.
that is kinda harsh don't you think?

I mean, yeah we do have other ways to help families cope, but if this seems to help them the most then why not? Are these roadside memorials really hurting anyone?

To those that think they are an eyesore, for one second, just stop thinking about yourself and what you think. Try and put yourself in the family's shoes. They lost a loved on and he/she is NEVER coming back. They put these memorials up to show their love for them and also as a reminder to other drivers to drive safely. If it helps them deal with the loss of a loved one, then who am I to say that it is an "eyesore"?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
very true bill - and i don't need a reminder to put my lights on with my wipers, or to use a turn signal in advance of a turn or lane change....but we all know there are plenty out there that could use the public service announcement to remind them. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
373 Posts
They don't bother me, but like mentioned people that place them their need to also maintain them. I see more with flower baskets so rough looking fake flowers blown all into the ditch than I see ones that are taken care of.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Maybe I'm just a cold heartless bastage. I'm not sure.

-=FLEX=-
Naw, when I see them. It isn't like I mourn the person. It is more like what Jack Sparrow (charger08srt/ aka Pat) said, It puts things in perspective.

I think they exist for two reasons.

Death by vehicle is perhaps one of the most sudden and tragic forms of death. Absolutely no one expects it or could have foreseen it.

The memorials serve as a reminder to others to drive safely. In a way it is a venue for the family to feel like the death was not for nothing...perhaps his/her/there death can save the lives of others.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
I think they have their place, but are getting "overdone"... I feel they should only be allowed at the spot for maybe 6 months to a year at most, just because our roads are getting "trashed" from too many of them that are not maintained. I have also seen a few (rare) instances where the memorial is actually interfering with clear vision at an intersection. Of course, when the highway dept. takes it down, then they get blasted for doing so... There has to be a balance of some kind, I think.

I would much rather have a law passed requiring more driver-training, than a law limiting usage of memorials... :confused:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
They don't bother me, but like mentioned people that place them their need to also maintain them. I see more with flower baskets so rough looking fake flowers blown all into the ditch than I see ones that are taken care of.
I may be mistaken, but I think a site exist that designs them with biodegradeable materials that will decay and are eco-friendly.

It is sort like it is planned for them to whither away and rot. Sorta like a second life and death. Now, I doubt everyone buys the biodegradeable kind but that might explain some. :D

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Naw, when I see them. It isn't like I mourn the person. It is more like what Jack Sparrow (charger08srt/ aka Pat) said, It puts things in perspective.

I think they exist for two reasons.

Death by vehicle is perhaps one of the most sudden and tragic forms of death. Absolutely no one expects it or could have foreseen it.

The memorials serve as a reminder to others to drive safely. In a way it is a venue for the family to feel like the death was not for nothing...perhaps his/her/there death can save the lives of others
well said mr. funk:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, it was harsh. And I make no excuse for it. Thats how I feel about them. I dont need/ask to share my grief with others, and dont expect them to share theirs with me.
Lots of times, they only serve as a reminder that someone made a very stupid choice right there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think a site exist that designs them with biodegradeable materials that will decay and are eco-friendly.

It is sort like it is planned for them to whither away and rot. Sorta like a second life and death. Now, I doubt everyone buys the biodegradeable kind but that might explain some. :D
People around me must not know this. Its a great idea though, I had never heard of it.

Most of the arrangments just look like cheap plastic flower arangments that you would get for someones gravesite. The ribbons are all weathered and flowers blown over and scattered.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts