Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm considering buying a new Charger. I want an R/T. One option is the Road & Track package. This package includes:

Perf. Seats w/Preferred Suede & Accent Stitching

Air Conditioning with Dual Zone Auto Temp Control

Power Windows w/Front One-Touch Up and Down Feature

Heated Front Seats

Power Front Seats

Automatic Headlamps

"R/T" Badge

Front Fascia Spoiler

Rear Body-Color Spoiler

High-Speed Engine Controller

Performance Steering

Performance Suspension

Load Leveling and Height Control

245/45VR20 BSW All Season Performance Tires

20" x 8" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels

$3,350

I like speed, but I REALLY like a car that handles very well. I love going on country roads and zipping through turns, so the suspension package is the main option that I want.

So my question is - for those who've driven Chargers with and without the Road & Track package:

1. Does it make a big difference in handling?
2. Is it worth $3,350?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
IMO, yes yes yes yes yes and yes! I think the R/T package (pretty much the same thing as daytona) transforms the RT into a different car. The handleing is 10 times better and the seats really wrap around you and keep you centered during the turns. I'd say its worth even more than $3300. Dont take my word for it though, I'd encourage you to go test drive both of them so you can see the difference yourself, thats what I did. To me just the seats are worth 3000 lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
I drove my buddies 07 RT on a lunch break. The next month I had my own but I knew R&T was better suited for my needs. The ride is a little firmer BUT very tolerable. Seats are comfortable and very supportive. Out of all my vehicles I've owned these are the best seats I've come across.

R&T was mandatory for me - either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I also say yes. It is worth it. But unlike mine which is yellow, yours will be just a hair slower. just kidding I just like saying that. The dual temp controlls- use them all the time when i drive with the kids. Don't know how the other charger seats are but the daytona or RT style are great. Heated front seets. I use as a gag on my friends when its really hot out. i turn theirs on, lol. I would say yes to the RT package.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Let's see on the R&T you get a higher sped engine controller, Higher speed rated tires, bigger rims, better seats. It is a preference thing though. I love firmer rides. My Daytona isn't the firmest ride I've had, but for the size of the car everyone who's been in it has been suprised at how solid it feels. High speeds is where you'll appreciate the R&T package the most. But if you want a softer more relaxed ride you may want to go with the Regular RT. I'd drive both, but in my opinion the R&T is the only way to buy a 5.7 charger.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Most definitely get the R&T package. The sticker price may be $3500 but that includes some options that are extra on the R/T. I have not actually looked at the true difference. What you get that you can't get on the base R/T is 10 more HP, better seats, different steering rack, load level rear shocks, spoilers and 20" rims (although they are "chrome clad")

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I'd agree that the R&T pkg is the way to go. I have an '06 that didnt come with the spoiler and chin spoiler, so it was a $1,650 option .
Well worth it fot the seats and steering alone

·
Registered
112 Posts
i just got my 07 rt r&t,what a ride...i drove both rt's...the road and track i had out for a half hour on a test drive,when i went and drove the regular rt i didnt even go a mile and went back to dealership and started talking price on the road and track..tomorrow i will have the car a week and drove 125 miles already..thats just cruising im on vacation from work,and we have a 5 day rain spell in new york...if it was nice all week i think i would have 1000 miles on it already.....
to me road and track is the way to go..good luck in whatever you decide..keep in mind new rebates come out 9-4-07.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was wondering this myself when I was looking at them a year ago. Now that I have it I am glad I do. Test drive both to see for yourself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you won't a softer ride and don't care all that much about handling, go with the standard. If you want much tighter stearing though, go with the R&T package. I wouldn't own one without it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The only person who can answer that question for you is you. An extra $3500 on your deal will mean roughly $60 or so more in your monthly payments. How significant is that to you? Definitely test drive both versions of the R/T before making your decision. I must have test driven 6 Chargers over the course of a year. 2 being equipped with the Road and Track package. The decision was easy, I had to have it. There was a definite difference in the ride and feel of the car, not to mention the comfort of the seats. That is why I would not test drive an SRT. I was not willing to get hooked on SRT and have to tack on another $100 on my car note along with higher maintenance and fuel costs.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'd say go for it, for the things that you can't easily replace with aftermarket. Sure you could do the seats and suspension, but that won't be cheap, but you can't swap out the steering with anything on the aftermarket.

I think the R&T makes the car a more balanced performer, although you could always get away with spending that $3300 extra on coilovers, sway bars, and power upgrades...

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Like others have said... drive them both and draw your own conclusions. IMO, there is a big difference in handling between the R/T and the R/T with R&T. The stance of the larger wheels, with the rear spoiler and chin spoiler give the R&T a more aggressive look.

Ultimately, all we have said is moot as it is your purchase, she will be yours, and none of us are paying for it. Do what you want and enjoy what you get. Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The R/T without the R&T is just a wanna be....

Get the package, or go with the 3.5

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have and love the R&T Package. However, Think things through thorougly. Consider how much modding you plan to do. The main component that i dont think you will be able to change is the Steering. You are paying for an upgraded intake and exhaust, many people mod those to begin with. Im not a fan of the rear spoiler and that's included in the package.

The seats, although wonderful, are not really leather...if you plan to change exhaust, intake, seats, wheels, etc. maybe you could apply that $3500 towards even better parts?

again, not downing the package. Im just saying to plan ahead. The charger is fun to mod

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just traded my RT for a road and track. I had the RT for 4 months. The road and track is a huge difference. In fact, most of the road and tracks out here have a huge dealer mark up. I wanted a car I did not have to modify. The road and track has a much better and responsive breaking system, much much better sounding exhaust, the intake I just opened up and was admiring how efficient it was designed, the seats are worth the 3,000 along, then there is the tighter steering ratio as well as much firmer suspension. The road and track also have a different rear axle ratio. In short, I find the road and track much more responsive. It does not bog down as quick and is able to punch into overdrive much more quickly than my old RT. Sure, you can modify the RT all you want it is still an RT. The road and track is basically a daytona without all the badging. I am really happy with my charger and only wished to have bought the road and track in the first place. By the way, I did test drive a SRT8 just before the road and track and I felt the handling was very similar.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not sure why they make anything but......For some reason in Canada (06) it was only a $900 option (no 20's in 06) it was a no brainer:smoke:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dang...after reading this thread, I wish I got the R/T package. I thought the seats looked cooler, but I never drove one. One thing I was disappointed with on my regular R/T was the soft ride...I definitely would have gone with the R/T if it is firmer. What steered me away from it though, besides the price tag, was the 20" wheels. I didn't really want them...I figured the cost of new tires would be more expensive (which they are)...but given the firmer ride...I'd have dealt with it. When my suspension is ready for replacement, I'll definitely be looking for some firmer replacement parts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts