Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the date of my birth is around the corner and needless to say, the state of GA sent me the "quote" for the price to renew my tags for the Charger! All i can say is WOW....for me to have an '08 sticker on my car next year is going to cost me $426!!! That's $74 less than my f*&^in car payment. Just when i thought i was going to surprise my car with a nice mod...this comes along!!! :cry:

Anyone else getting raped like that by their state when it comes to the valurium tax (i think thats what its called)???

·
Registered
794 Posts
South Carolina wanted $510 from me for property taxes on my car. But I proved that my state of residence is FL and didn't have to pay a thing.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
i live in connecticut and for my honda civic it was around $360 a year, i can only wait for how much the charger will be but in jun 08 i retire from the navy and will get $1500 off property tax, so that will be good

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its always been like this in GA...its as if they dont want you to have a new car and if you do, they are going to at least get a car payment out of you when its time to renew your tags!! I knew it was going to be a lot, but I didnt expect it to be THAT much. When i purchased the car, something told me to register it in another state like NC or FL....should have went with my first instinct!!!

I'm still trying to catch my breath from this...lol!!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
i live in connecticut and for my honda civic it was around $360 a year, i can only wait for how much the charger will be but in jun 08 i retire from the navy and will get $1500 off property tax, so that will be good
I just got boned by my friendly CT town assessor too. With the mil rate in my town it worked out to just shy of $400 (per year) for the privilege of living in my town and owning an '06 R/T. They also whack you on boats and aircraft in addition to ye olde home property taxes.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Ok, the date of my birth is around the corner and needless to say, the state of GA sent me the "quote" for the price to renew my tags for the Charger! All i can say is WOW....for me to have an '08 sticker on my car next year is going to cost me $426!!! That's $74 less than my f*&^in car payment. Just when i thought i was going to surprise my car with a nice mod...this comes along!!! :cry:

Anyone else getting raped like that by their state when it comes to the valurium tax (i think thats what its called)???
That's harsh. We pay $70/year, no matter what the vehicle is worth...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm guessing you live pretty close to Atlanta, that is just part of the higher cost of living. You could move to a county with a lower milledge rate and have lower property and ad valorem taxes. Then you either have to commute, or deal with jobs in that area that don't pay as much because of the lower cost of living. In Hall co. I think it is going to be around $260 in ad valorem for the 07 RT I just bought.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
We have to pay sales tax the first year, then the tags each year are fairly expensive. However, we have no state income tax to deal with.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My tags are due next month. $46 for the stickers. Washington used to be several hundred dollars each year for the tags but they dropped it because everyone was going to Oregon to licence their cars for $35 every 2 years.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm guessing you live pretty close to Atlanta, that is just part of the higher cost of living. You could move to a county with a lower milledge rate and have lower property and ad valorem taxes. Then you either have to commute, or deal with jobs in that area that don't pay as much because of the lower cost of living. In Hall co. I think it is going to be around $260 in ad valorem for the 07 RT I just bought.

actually my car is registered in Muscogee co. (more than 100 miles south of ATL) of all places. I'm in the military and stationed out of NY, but with GA being my home of record and me registering my car there when i bought it is where i missed the chance to get out of paying this ridiculous tax...it would have only been $80!!

i think i'll throw up now....:sick:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My tags are due next month. $46 for the stickers. Washington used to be several hundred dollars each year for the tags but they dropped it because everyone was going to Oregon to licence their cars for $35 every 2 years.

Really, did you have to post that....lol....j/k!! I wish I only had to pay 10% of what GA is asking!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Really, did you have to post that....lol....j/k!! I wish I only had to pay 10% of what GA is asking!!
The real kicker is that everyone was going across the border to Oregon to buy and register cars due to no sales tax and next to nothing for tags. After Washington dropped the prices on the tags they started cracking down on people falsely registering in Oregon and now it is a several thousand dollar fine if caught.:(

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think the taxes here in Killafornia are probably much worse. My property tax (Home = 426k) is $6600.00 per year. Boat - aside from vehicle registration on the boat and trailer - I pay a mooring fee of $100 per year to the County Tax Assessor. So I pay property tax for my house and then pay $100 additionally to the same tax ASSessor for the privelege of keeping my boat on my property that I already got raped $6600 for??? And yeah, vehicle registration is about the same - $400-$500 per vehicle. Two 07 cars, Two Harley's, Boat and Trailer, Three dirt bikes, One Quad and property tax - we are talking about 8k+ per year for my tags and Property tax! You wanna talk about gettin raped?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
$499 last month to reregister what is now a 2 year old car here in Nevada. However, I dont have to pay any state income tax.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Yeah, we have to pay property tax on cars here as well. I bought mine in June this year, and the bill for the 7 months I'll in own the car '07 was over $600. Two years registration is $54.00 I belive without the excise tax as they call it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My personal property tax on the Charger (in Virginia) was around $450 for the 7 months I owned my car this year. We also pay over $400 per year for a 4 year old Honda. The beater car is appraised at less than $4000, so we don't pay personal property tax on it.

Add that onto the extra insurance cost for owning a high performance vehicle, which is over $500/yr on on top of the premium we were paying before the Charger .......:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts