Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im lookin to drop my charger on some 20s or 22's ...i talked to a guy that had done this and took them off cuz it messed with the ti rods...to the point where he had to replace them and take the rims off ....if this has happened to anyone or it was just a bunch of bull**** let me know

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Yes and no.
a/ tie rods are a common fail on our car
b/ 20 + " wheels will wear on the tie rods more. You change the geometry of the suspension. The tie rod should be parrellel to the rack however anytime the vehicle is lifted, lowered either way it wears on the joint more. Your also adding more unsprung weight which is goofy to do with stock v6 brakes. Its hard enough for the brakes to stop a 4400 lb car as it is and they are not great brakes on the v6. Let alone if you add 30lb of weight to each corner of the car. Its like trying to do circles with your arms outstretched with 50lb of cemet blocks in your hands.
Its the ride height difference that harms them more than anything however.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
When you start getting a knocking noise in the front end at low speeds or ridiculous tire wear, moreso with bigger than o.e. rim diameter, then they are probably bad. they are covered under factory warranty and they will realign that wheel but they can deny you with aftermarket wheels so make sure to put your stockers back on prior to the dealer trip

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
yeah I had to get my outer tie rods replaced, I made sure to put the stockers on for that particular visit to the dealership :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had 20" chrome SRT replicas on my Magnum and will be putting them on my Charger in the spring..The 20" rims and tires are the same overall height as the stock 17" wheel and tires although they are wider so I don't know how you are changing the geometry of the suspension unless you lower it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I had 20" chrome SRT replicas on my Magnum and will be putting them on my Charger in the spring..The 20" rims and tires are the same overall height as the stock 17" wheel and tires although they are wider so I don't know how you are changing the geometry of the suspension unless you lower it. Just my 2 cents.

Because you are changing the centerline of the wheel in relationship to the sterring rack. Put a 17" wheels next to a 20" wheels and look where the hub is at.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Never noticed the difference,everything lines up when i put my 20's next to the stockers..will have to give that a closer look next time.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
When you start getting a knocking noise in the front end at low speeds or ridiculous tire wear, moreso with bigger than o.e. rim diameter, then they are probably bad. they are covered under factory warranty and they will realign that wheel but they can deny you with aftermarket wheels so make sure to put your stockers back on prior to the dealer trip
Under warranty for how long???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts