Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. After having a local company install a couple sets for me, I decided to try it on my own. After the last set of decals were damaged, I got another set from RiderGraphix (thanks David & Brian for your help!) and wanted to try an installation for myself.

I received the new set in the mail today and quickly assembled everything I needed, following the directions exactly. I decided to try the hood decal first so I started prepping the hood.

Do you know how hard it is to remove the washer nozzles on an SRT hood? I tried to remove the hood liner but decided I was going to ruin it. I don't know how the big plastic "rivets" hold it in but I gave up. I found I could reach the nozzles from the top, but my hands are still a little cut up from getting in between the liner and the hood.

I'd used the Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar a few days ago, so I went ahead and wiped the hood down ten times with rubbing alcohol.

One helpful hint - I think it helps to cut the excess off the decal very close before aligning it. In a few spots, cut it very close. Then align it where it needs to be and tape it down in several spots. Now, in the places that you cut ot very close, place a piece of masking tape on the paint as close to the decal as possible. Now draw a line across the decal to the piece of tape. Later, when you place the decal (remember that it will be nice and wet and slide around) you can line it up precisely where your marks match up.

Anyway, I got the hood decal on and I think it's pretty good, almost perfect actually. There are no bubbles at all. When I put one of the nozzles back in, there's just a slight little imperfection on the decal but I think it will be fine. You don't even see it if you don't know it's there. Of course, you all know it's there now!!!

Now I'm a little worried about how well it will stay down. A couple fo places tried to come up as I was pulling back the backing, but I took my time and used the lubricating spray as directed and I got it all down. Time will tell I guess.

I can't wait to try the rest.

I know you want a picture, but it's too dark to get one right now. I'll take one tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
When I did mine, I didn't tape--the whole taping thing had them crooked. I cut very close to the black, then I just soaked them so they slid around, got them where I wanted them, and then got busy with the squeegee. It worked out real well.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
You friggin tease! We MUST have pics! How can you do a mod and not show us? Who will feed our addiction! Now I have to go buy my OWN rider graphics just to feed the beast. This is your fault,

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
When I did mine, I didn't tape--the whole taping thing had them crooked. I cut very close to the black, then I just soaked them so they slid around, got them where I wanted them, and then got busy with the squeegee. It worked out real well.
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanna see Yld gettin busy with a squeegee.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it kind of depends on the decal, the size and where it goes. This one was really difficult to place just right. I was worried that once it was wet I wouldn't get it into the right spot, so to speak. Actually, I'm a little concerned that it might be a little low, but I think it'll be fine. I can always peel it off and do it again I guess.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Just depends if you like how it looks. Once it dries I think it will try to stretch if you try to pull it off and distort. I would say DO NOT do this unless David Rider chimes in sayin it wont hurt anything. Who is to say what is too low, or too high? Its YOUR car, and YOU customized it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL!!! I meant I would just pull it off and order another one. These things are toast if you try to pull them off. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I already know about the compliments actually. I've had their graphics on my Charger for quite awhile; I just had to replace them is all. My car is actually on their web site as a model for several of the decals.

Its kind of peculiar but without decals, debadged and no side moldings, it's actually quite sinister looking, especially with the tinted heads and tails and the tinted windows. I like it and for those who see it and know what it is, they like it that way. But with the decals, everybody notices it!

I was visiting a car show last weekend and a guy walked up asking about my Charger. It was without any decals and he finally asked, "Are you the guy that has that bada$$ SRT8 in town?" I chuckled and told him I was and he was standing next to it. He just didn't recognize it without the decals.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As promised, here are some pics of the first decal installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay guys, I got the hood done. I like it but I got the center decal in the front just ever so slightly off. I'm debating on leaving it, removing it or replacing it.

Anyway - here's the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It didn't occur to me until now, but I wonder if the lettering on the spikes is actually upside down. I couldn't get the spikes to line up on the body lines just right when I installed them, not that it's bad looking but I wonder if they would have fit better reversed. Obviously if they did it wouldn't look right with the lettering upside down.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Relax! It looks great!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts