Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know our cars have rev limiters, but I don't remember it being as low as 4000 RPMs. My GMG daytona can only rev up to 4000 RPMs before it retards the throttle and it kinda bugs me, seeing as it is just hitting its "sounds awesome" point when the limiter kicks in. Is it normal that the rev limiter is so low? I could swear I remember it being able to rev to redline (5k RPM) in the past.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I know our cars have rev limiters, but I don't remember it being as low as 4000 RPMs. My GMG daytona can only rev up to 4000 RPMs before it retards the throttle and it kinda bugs me, seeing as it is just hitting its "sounds awesome" point when the limiter kicks in. Is it normal that the rev limiter is so low? I could swear I remember it being able to rev to redline (5k RPM) in the past.
Yes, competely normal.
The limiter for park and neutral is in place to protect your engine. Revving to high RPMs with no load is bad bad bad. Easily float a valve

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
From what I hear, our 5.7's have weak valve springs, so raising the limiter past 6K is probably getting into the washout area.

I have never heard anyone mention that reving the engine without a load is bad. Why is this bad?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
This makes no sense to me. The upper top end does not see any load changes whether in drive or park. The valves are just going up and down.

What is this "load" you talk about and how is it translated back to the valve train?
Hard to explain, lets see....
Your in park, mash the gas, rev go up really really quick..No load..free revvin
Now, hammer it in drive, revs dont go up nearly as quick, under load.
You have all the load of the entire drivetrain, it initially effect the bottom end, but its all transferred to the top end

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hard to explain, lets see....
Your in park, mash the gas, rev go up really really quick..No load..free revvin
Now, hammer it in drive, revs dont go up nearly as quick, under load.
You have all the load of the entire drivetrain, it initially effect the bottom end, but its all transferred to the top end
Very good description

Scott

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If in neutral or park the computer - HAL - will not let it rev past 4000. but punch it in gear and it will go up to 6100.

Scott

My car won't rev to 6100, mine shifts some where around 5500. When I still had SC, it would shift at about 6000.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
If in neutral or park the computer - HAL - will not let it rev past 4000. but punch it in gear and it will go up to 6100.

Scott
its 5800 without a superchip or predator i beleive.

evic owns ;) i love being able to see my exact revs(ok the the last 2 digits move too damn fast) and exact speed and engine temp. all on one display

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've heard that revving in neutral is bad because it will scuff cam & crank bearings. The engine will rev much faster than when loaded; the increased inertial force due to increased acceleration allows rotating engine components to briefly overcome oil pressure in plain bearings and allow metal-to-metal contact. Think of it as the rotating shaft shifting to one side within the bearing bore.
On the other hand raising rpm's slowly to a high level, but short of redline, has no detrimental effects.
Don't know if it is true or not, still I do hate to hear an unloaded engine being subjected to "the rev test".

·
Registered
660 Posts
This came up in the Diablo thread also, with people wanting the tuner to raise the N rev limiter. Why would anyone want to rev an engine past 4000 in neutral anyway? You certainly can't drop it into gear at those revs. (I guess you could if you want to buy a new tranny).

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i would think its just so they can rev their engine louder at people.. or for people.. or what have you.

not so much to drop it in gear.

even when you do drop it in gear, tehse cars dont even shift in that fast. it wont let you go until the car is fully back into gear. it disengages totally until its made a clean shift.

try putting your car in nuetral at a decent speed, coast, put it in drive, even if u wait a few seconds, then hit the gas, usually it still wont respond, takes forever to switch back into gear, unlike a lot of cars ive owned

1 - 14 of 14 Posts