Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

About 21 Days ago I got into my new 07 RT. However, after speaking with a few Charger owners in my area, not to mention visiting local dealerships, I realized I'm paying way too much for my ride.[ I won't go into details ].

Someone mentioned because it has been less than 30 days, I can return the car . I didn't put anything down, so I would just be losing out on a month or so of Bi-Weekly payments.

Is it true I have the right to do this?

P.S. I would just go and grab the same model but for a hell of a lot cheaper, especially considering the 07 clearance.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No you definitely heard wrong. Once you drive the car off the lot it's yours.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Enjoy the car 'cos once they saw the taillights hit the exit it's all over...if you could borrow 'em for 30 days the rental companies would be out of business!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
DCX did have a promotion about a year ago where they offered either special financing or extended warranty(something like that). In addition they also would allow you to return it for up to 30 days minus milage charges but as far as I know this was only for a limited time and is long gone.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey Guys,

About 21 Days ago I got into my new 07 RT. However, after speaking with a few Charger owners in my area, not to mention visiting local dealerships, I realized I'm paying way too much for my ride.[ I won't go into details ].

Someone mentioned because it has been less than 30 days, I can return the car . I didn't put anything down, so I would just be losing out on a month or so of Bi-Weekly payments.

P.S. I would just go and grab the same model but for a hell of a lot cheaper, especially considering the 07 clearance.
You did your research after you bought the car? You learned an expensive lesson, hopefully you will carry it throughout your life.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
by law it is 72 hours. The above post of 3 hours could have been fought. I've seen people do it before. It's been 72 with chrysler (remember its not daimler chrysler anymore, just chrysler corp) and ford for as long as i remember

·
Registered
158 Posts
Honestly we sat in their office for 4 hours fighting it. We tried using the 72 hour rule but they said that only applies when salesmen approach you (door to door) type sales.

What was funny though is that the dealership next door, under the same name but different vehicles, told us about the 72 hour rule. This Dodge dealership wouldn't budge! They said that since it was a friday evening and that our funding had already gone through that we were basically S.O.L.

Honestly if there is a 72 hour rule and those S.O.B.'s lied to us 7 years ago I wont but my Charger from them. They are in the front running right now for my buisness but if I find this to be true then I will take my business elsewhere. I have a VERY long memory.

·
Super Moderator
11,768 Posts
Every state/province may have its own laws regarding certian types of purchases. But buying a car, especially if you lease/finance, is a legally binding contract and there are generally no provisions to get out of it, except under very specific situations (the person that signed the contract was underage, co-erced, etc.).

Up here there is a 'cooling off' period (either 48 or 72 hours) which pertains to certain sales, but it is typically limited to solicited sales in your home (a salesman comes to your door to sell you something).

In short...you're stuck with the car. So enjoy it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
About 21 Days ago I got into my new 07 RT. However, after speaking with a few Charger owners in my area, not to mention visiting local dealerships, I realized I'm paying way too much for my ride.

From here on out spend 3 weeks researching the best price BEFORE you buy the car, not after.
:dead:

·
Super Moderator
11,768 Posts
Just noticed you're in Toronto. So I can speak to this directly knowing the laws; you can't get out of it. My very first car I changed my mind as soon as I left the dealer. Didn't even take delivery of the car yet; had only signed the papers. They basically said "too bad, you signed a legally binding contract". And they were right. But I was lucky; I didn't qualify for the financing. And I was so glad. I almost bought a 1987 Hyundai Pony. :knockout: A few months later I went and bought a brand new 1988 5.0L Mustang. And was MUCH happier. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your car? If you're comparing what you paid in Toronto to what people paid in the United States, you're just going to give yourself a headache. I did the anlaysis a while back. My $47,000 Charger (in Canadian dollars) could have been purchased south of the border for $32,000 (or less). That's life up here in the Great White North. It sucks, but...

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
30 Posts
All states differ on the "cooling off period" 72 hours here in NM. I actually got a lawyer once to get my Lightning back after they over valued a trade by 10K. It is almost the reverse situation, but they still tried to dance. I actually ended up in the owners office and I let them know I was going to hire an attorney. His response was, "That's fine we keep an attorney on retainer." I said, "For the way you do business that is a good idea." I went straight to my lawyer and showed him all the notes I had taken and the contract. He called them and their attorney. Their attorneys advised them that they were breaking the law and they had better stop. I had my truck back in under 24 hours and the dealership had to eat 10K, and it only cost me $250 for a lawyer to make a phone call! Anyway they will lie, cheat, and steal until you call their bluff. If you were within your rights and tried to return in on the cooling off period and they lied to you and you have names and documentation it might be worth a trip to a lawyer for a consultation (usually about $100) if it will save you more than the lawyer costs. In my case I not only bought L for about 2K under book, but they bought my RV for 10K over book so it made me 12K. I'm sure it won't be as much savings for you, but if you look at interest and what you would save on initial purchase it is probably worth it.

This is why I no longer buy new cars and only buy from CARMAX...the best dealership on the planet and I never take the initial hit on depreciation.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey Guys,

How much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Honestly we sat in their office for 4 hours fighting it. We tried using the 72 hour rule but they said that only applies when salesmen approach you (door to door) type sales.

When I was selling cars about 5 years ago (in Mass.), the managers had told me that once you drive off the lot, the car is yours .... the 72-hour rule only applied to cars delivered to customer's houses which we only did for out-of-state deliveries

·
Super Moderator
11,768 Posts
Got some legal advice for ya here...

I just consulted Miss Foxxxy, who just happens to have 20 years experience as a Law Clerk in Ontario.

There is no 'cooling off period' for vehicle purchases in Ontario. Once you sign on the dotted line, the car is yours. She said the only exception would be if the dealer had some kind of satisfaction guarantee, and you were able to invoke that. Even then she said it is unlikely, and you would probably be liable for any depreciation on the vehicle since purchase, since you waited 3 weeks.

Sorry man, but really, you got an R/T. How bad can life be???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just consulted Miss Foxxxy, who just happens to have 20 years experience as a Law Clerk in Ontario.

There is no 'cooling off period' for vehicle purchases in Ontario. Once you sign on the dotted line, the car is yours. She said the only exception would be if the dealer had some kind of satisfaction guarantee, and you were able to invoke that. Even then she said it is unlikely, and you would probably be liable for any depreciation on the vehicle since purchase, since you waited 3 weeks.

Sorry man, but really, you got an R/T. How bad can life be???
Life isn't bad by any stretch. Fortunately I have a great paying job now, so this car won't be putting me in any circumstance that would leave me "broke". I'll tell you flex, and everyone else I guess, I payed 49,000 dollars for a Used, Fully Loaded RT.

She had about 4,000 KM'S on her. I love the ride, and driving is always a pleasure. I'm just realizing I could of saved myself about 10,000 dollars if I looked around a bit.

Lesson learned I guess. Now on with life.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.