Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the RHR radio is a new version to replace the RER. I also understand that there is a whole list of improved features with the RHR that is not available on the RER.

Can a RHR radio be installed in a 2010 Charger that originally came with a RER? What is the bus speed of the 2010 Charger vs. the 2011 model?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
The 2010 Charger had a low speed bus in it. Theoretically if you could get a low speed RHR it could work. But i'm not sure.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think they are all high speed now. so nope.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be my luck that I'd come one model year short of having technology that's been vastly improved. Oh well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
you could do a lot worse than the RER

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes. You can do it. There's a guy in Italy that's over on the 300 c forums that did one. Some of the downfalls:
1) mounting tabs are on the top and bottom: not side like our RER's.
2) You would have to get the RHR out of a Sebring...uhhhh...err...I mean 200 as there's is the lowspeed.
3) They are not at all cheap.

The advantages are enhanced voice recognition and streaming bluetooth capabilities.

Personally, I'm not sure if it's quite worth the money. I mean, I upgraded to the RER because I love the factory look (i have an 06 C). I went from REC to RER to Pioneer to Clarion back to RER. I just can't beat that stock look.

At any rate, it's possible to do. What I'm not sure of is the wiring. I'd imagine that, theoretically, the mygig lockpic would work as far as plugability. Just not sure of compatability.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. You can do it. There's a guy in Italy that's over on the 300 c forums that did one. Some of the downfalls:
2) You would have to get the RHR out of a Sebring...uhhhh...err...I mean 200 as there's is the lowspeed.

The advantages are enhanced voice recognition and streaming bluetooth capabilities.

QUOTE]

Besides enhanced voice recognition and streaming Bluetooth capabilities, I would hope that they've worked out some of the software bugs that seem to plague the RER.

That's the biggest complaint that I have with my radio. Some things I've noticed are relatively minor annoyances, such as the EVIC reading something like, "CD 3 - 15" when it is playing HDD track 15 in the Favorites mode, or when people tell me I'm cutting out when I'm talking to them via Bluetooth with full cell phone signal.

But other issues make me wonder when the whole thing is just going to fail. Case in point: Recently as I selected a different artist to play on the HDD, the song list disappeared and the touchscreen quit responding temporarily to any button presses. Once the buttons started working again, I could change from HDD to AM, FM, SAT, CD, or IPOD, but the music I was listening to on the HDD kept playing no matter what mode was selected. The volume control was also non-responsive. When I reselected HDD, the screen was blank except for the Dodge logo on the right hand side, then the music quit entirely. Pressing the power button to put the radio into standby mode did not help. It was only after I parked the car and shut it off that the HDD started working again.

I have also been losing confidence in the quality of the hardware as well, due to the fact that this is actually radio #4 that has been installed since the car was new. Granted, I think the first two radios may have been OK, but two dealerships replaced them while troubleshooting a problem that was ultimately due to a satellite antenna failure. The first radio was replaced when the car had less than 14,000 miles on it. Radio #3 was replaced because it regularly scratched CD's as they were inserted. Now the current radio not only has the issues listed above, but it also skips audio while playing new CD's. I am reluctant to want to have the radio replaced again as I would expect to receive yet another refurbished unit that has it's own set of different problems.

I read automotive magazines on a regular basis and it's apparent that Chrysler's #1 focus for the 2011 model year is to improve quality across the board. I recently received a special edition of AutoWeek that was dedicated to detailing exactly what Chrysler has been doing to improve it's products. Over 4100 improvements and upgrades have been applied to the previous Charger model.

With as many times as I have been in to the dealer for warranty repairs (most of them radio related), I can't help but wish sometimes that I had a 2011 model. I am a Mopar man to my core, but it does worry me sometimes as to how much I could potentially be spending in repair costs once my limited warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Besides enhanced voice recognition and streaming Bluetooth capabilities, I would hope that they've worked out some of the software bugs that seem to plague the RER.
Sorry to hear about your Mygig issues, especially with a factory unit. I'm going Thur the same thing with a PC Phone on the replacements having issues because they are refurbished as well. The Mygig had great support from its Manufacturer Harmon Becker and you can find that info here: www.mofv.com/mygig/ Here you can ask questions about your issues and also update your Software that my help solve some of the issues you have. I have updated my unit several times with no problems as the software revisions progressed. He could have been a jerk and made everyone go Thur the dealer for these updates but he isn't, something to note about the new units the first units are made by another manufacturer and the later units are Harmon Becker's, after the support I have found at the website I would want the HB units over something new. He has been working on these for years and knows whats going on. The techs at the Dealership Don't have a clue and would rather swap parts than troubleshoot the issues.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have no issues with my Mygig running the latest software versions. I love the unit and have no complaints thus far.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Having just picked up a new '11 Caravan last night with the new uConnect system in it, I can say that they have improved it over that in the RER that I have in my Caliber with the latest release of software on it.

Would I upgrade the RER in my car? Doubt it. But if you are able to get a RHR for a good price you will definitely appreciate the new features. The bluetooth audio streaming is super cool!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having just picked up a new '11 Caravan last night with the new uConnect system in it, I can say that they have improved it over that in the RER that I have in my Caliber with the latest release of software on it.

Would I upgrade the RER in my car? Doubt it. But if you are able to get a RHR for a good price you will definitely appreciate the new features. The bluetooth audio streaming is super cool!
Congratulations on your new Caravan. I'm glad to hear someone confirm that the new improvements are noticable and appreciated.

Does your Caravan have navigation? There are several annoying issues with the navigation in my RER that I've wondered if they have been addressed with the new hardware. For instance, the voice command, "Guide Me to a Name", I would expect should allow you to speak the name of a POI, or at least a name saved in the address book, and then start route guidance. Instead, any name I try to input gets denied. I would also hope that the new navigation system would allow addresses to be imported from your cell phone.

I did take my car this afternoon to the dealer and I had version 2.402 installed, which is the latest available for the RER. I will try to make a post if I've seen any type of improvements over 2.401.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Mygig had great support from its Manufacturer Harmon Becker and you can find that info here: www.mofv.com/mygig/ Here you can ask questions about your issues and also update your Software that my help solve some of the issues you have. I have updated my unit several times with no problems as the software revisions progressed. QUOTE]

Thanks for recommending the unofficial MyGig site. I have made posts there as well about my radio issues. The last bit of advice that I got from there was to upgrade the software to the latest available version, 2.402, which I did tonight. I'm just waiting now to see if I notice any changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts