Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first of all I want to apologize if this is in the wrong section... or if there is a thread that already deals with this. I used the search function and attempted to find out full answers from there with no avail.
Now as to my question, I am planning on purchasing a Charger as a second vehicle (well the second vehicle I would have owned, like a senior year gift to myself). At the moment the best thing I can figure, the '06 Police Chargers that are hitting the market would be my best bet. Most have around 110.000 miles, and are around $12,000. As far as I can tell (from what I have read and heard)- these are most similar to the R/T civilian model 5.7L Hemi, with some modifications (shifter, sway bars, steelies, oil cooler, etc.). If I do get the PI Charger; I would ideally
-switch out rotors, possibly install an exhaust bypass, new intake, new wheels, switch out seats for leather, stereo upgrade, standard used car stuff (oil, filters, coolant, pads, etc.)

Long story short I was wondering:
1. If you knowledgeable folks have any better ideas than getting the PI Charger... I want a V8, but probably can't afford something like an SRT *at least if I plan to go to college ($28K+ /yr)
2. How difficult would it be to move the shifter from the column to the floor (and replace column), and how much would this cost/ difficulty
3. Would I be able to switch out seats (preferably from an SRT [est. 1500 for seats]) for nice leather ones

... Basically, I am looking for a nice car that'll last me a while. Performance is not a huge deal because I am already impressed by stock stats. I would like a clean looking car [from the outside]. No flashy graphics or ridiculous body kits or hoods with massive scoops (but don't want it to look whackerish). Thanks and sorry for the wall of text (cut me a break, first post:rolleyes2:).
-Matt

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Step up a little, and it won't be a huge step and get a gently used R/T, preferably with road and track package. They are out there 15-20 range.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I agree with what Part Deux is saying. I get it that you don't care that the police version comes with crap rims for instance because you're going to replace them. That being said, between the seats and the interior work that you want to do, you're already into the ball-park for a decently equipped R/T. A police car will stand a higher chance of having been somewhat abused; the drivers won't have owned the car at the very least. Expect the interior to have been beaten up.

Also, you may have paint issues to deal with. You certainly won't have anywhere near the choice in vehicles that you would if you opened your horizons to civilian Chargers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your guys' help with this, if I am able to, I would love to get a decent civ. model (helluva lot less wear)... my problem is overall cost vs. my budget. I want a V8 Hemi, and nice leather seats... which on a '06+ civ. adds up. I can already tell this is going to be nowhere near cheap. As is... I am guessing this could end up being ≈$20,000... or at least in that area. Technically, I'd love an SRT (as I think any normal human being would), but I doubt I'd find one below 25K. Would anyone happen to be able to give me estimates for what different models/ years would cost. I've tried checking completed listings on ebay, but not enough completed sales- and typing everything into Kelley Blue Book would take years. If I end up getting a civ it'd have to be 5.7L Hemi or 6.1L... I apologize if I ramble... I am watching cops between each sentence :).
-M

SRT+Brembo GT+ HPF SuperCharger Kit would be god... and well over 35,000...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Aside from the mileage and abuse issues, the column shifter just doesn't do it for me. Also, don't they come with a front bench seat?

I agree with Part Deux. A nice example of an RT with higher mileage will probably be within striking distance of the OP's stated budget.

Best,

·
Registered
563 Posts
...not to mention the cost incrued to you to get the coffee stains removed. And let me tell you...that donut smell can be a paaaaain to overcome!

j/k. ;) I don't dislike cops, I just know that the one who wrote me a window tint ticket a couple months ago enjoyed his job waaaaaaaaay too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, don't they come with a front bench seat?
Not that I know of the cruisers I have seen and am talking about are split in the front. There's a center mounting console (more of a black metal plate to mount gear to) and the seats are uncomfortable... something about how they were designed with utility belts in mind.

And let me tell you...that donut smell can be a paaaaain to overcome!
Hey, a donut smell would be a heck of a lot better than some of the [used] cars I've been looking at. There was a '00 F150 that smelled like moldy cheese on a hot plate...

I am searching craigslists and various other places for chargers, but I can't find one affordable at a dealer (Id rather buy from a dealer because they are usually better if something goes wrong or you end up with a lemon).
-Matt

·
Registered
230 Posts
I too am of the sentiment that a "pre driven" RT would better suit your want than an ex-police unit. The trade off in the lower price for the police unit would more than be off set by the modding you plan.

·
Registered
563 Posts
hey matt, sorry brother I was just using your thread as a good time to rip on cops. lol sorry. didn't mean to make a joke of your search for a charger. I'm in the columbus area and I will keep my eyes peeled for you. Also check out www.byersauto.com from time to time. thier inventory on used cars is huge and changes pretty often. hope this helps.

Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts