Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 2010 5.7 hemi in my 2007 charger now I need to get the PCM reprogrammed for the new engine it had a 5.7 already just found a newer one for a pretty good price ...wondering if anyone could give me advice on where I can get my PCM reprogrammed for the newer engine and roughly how much it will cost appreciate any advice on where I can send it thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going thru the same thing you're going through I'm the owner of a 2006 Dodge Charger RT and I have a 2010 challenger 5.7 in my charger so I have some information that could be useful to you and u might have some info for me. so when you see this message give me a call at 770 35500 96 the name is Myo

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I recently installed a 2010 5.7 hemi in my 2007 charger now I need to get the PCM reprogrammed for the new engine it had a 5.7 already just found a newer one for a pretty good price ...wondering if anyone could give me advice on where I can get my PCM reprogrammed for the newer engine and roughly how much it will cost appreciate any advice on where I can send it thanks in advance
Did you call the dealer and ask them? How about looking for high performance shop that specializes in MOPARS?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Uhhh, you guys/gals do know that the 06/07's where old school straight up cam timing and the 2010 has VVT??? I don't see how they will make a non-VVT 2007 PCM operate properly on the newer 2010 VVT engine.

I'm no expert on this by any means, but I'm just throwing that out there. Maybe you can put the 2010 PCM that was with that engine into the 2007 Charger. Who knows if that will even work? There are slight differences in the wiring on these cars from year to year even though the car itself is the same. Maybe you can "FIX" the VVT to be non-VVT. That probably would not work well either because the ramp profiles of VVT cams are different from non-VVT cams. Engine performance and economy would drop significantly. I'm sure someone has a cam out there that you can swap the VVT out with that will make this engine compatible with the old 2007/06 PCM. Will it need to be a custom cam or can you take a stock pre-2009 cam and put it into a 2010 engine?? Can anyone answer that question?

I'd give someone like Hemi.com a call. I'm sure they have come across this before.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Uhhh, you guys/gals do know that the 06/07's where old school straight up cam timing and the 2010 has VVT??? I don't see how they will make a non-VVT 2007 PCM operate properly on the newer 2010 VVT engine.

I'm no expert on this by any means, but I'm just throwing that out there. Maybe you can put the 2010 PCM that was with that engine into the 2007 Charger. Who knows if that will even work? There are slight differences in the wiring on these cars from year to year even though the car itself is the same. Maybe you can "FIX" the VVT to be non-VVT. That probably would not work well either because the ramp profiles of VVT cams are different from non-VVT cams. Engine performance and economy would drop significantly. I'm sure someone has a cam out there that you can swap the VVT out with that will make this engine compatible with the old 2007/06 PCM. Will it need to be a custom cam or can you take a stock pre-2009 cam and put it into a 2010 engine?? Can anyone answer that question?

I'd give someone like Hemi.com a call. I'm sure they have come across this before.
07+ all use the NGC4(PCM),so its uses the same PCM,They need someone to Flash the PCM,but some how Program a '10 Engine into a 07 car.I seen people take a LX chassis and put on a 69 Charger on it,If they can do that,this should Be easier.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
07+ all use the NGC4(PCM),so its uses the same PCM,They need someone to Flash the PCM,but some how Program a '10 Engine into a 07 car.I seen people take a LX chassis and put on a 69 Charger on it,If they can do that,this should Be easier.
Actually, putting an 07 hemi into a 69 Charger is very simple. There are no emissions controls on a 69 Charger except for Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Positive Crankcase Ventilation. With that said, several companies (including Mopar) make stand alone PCM's that require NOTHING but plugging them in to the original engine wiring harness and some simple wiring. No programming or reflashing is required. What you want to do is have an '07 PCM function as a 2010 which is totally different. It sounds simple enough, but I don't see it happening.

For me it would be easier to convert the 2010 VVT engine into a non-VVT engine. While you have the 2010 apart to ditch the VVT make a cam/head upgrade and have the PCM reflashed. ShopHemi.com advertises a 100+ HP upgrade that includes the tuner for the flash for like $3100.00: http://www.shophemi.com/p-1211-57-61-hemi-power-trip-package.aspx

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Actually, putting an 07 hemi into a 69 Charger is very simple. There are no emissions controls on a 69 Charger except for Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Positive Crankcase Ventilation. With that said, several companies (including Mopar) make stand alone PCM's that require NOTHING but plugging them in to the original engine wiring harness and some simple wiring. No programming or reflashing is required. What you want to do is have an '07 PCM function as a 2010 which is totally different. It sounds simple enough, but I don't see it happening.

For me it would be easier to convert the 2010 VVT engine into a non-VVT engine. While you have the 2010 apart to ditch the VVT make a cam/head upgrade and have the PCM reflashed. ShopHemi.com advertises a 100+ HP upgrade that includes the tuner for the flash for like $3100.00: http://www.shophemi.com/p-1211-57-61-hemi-power-trip-package.aspx
What emmisions a 69 Charger has nothing to do with it if your putting in a 07 Hemi,B/C your using emmisions that comes on a 07 Hemi.My thought on Reprogramming the 07 to the '10 Hemi would be to program it as a '10 Charger R/T,not sure if it would work,but I helped with Jeep owners Swap 3.7 from differant years that needed some parts swaps,but got them running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im honesty probably just gonna sell the 2010 engine and try to find one from an 07 I've came to the conclusion that I'll have to get a 2010 pcm to match the engine then some how have it programmed to the 07 car even then that may not work and even though the harness plugged right in it also is different and would have to be changed... All n all will be easier just to sell the engine now I'm just having a problem finding a buyer... That's for all the advice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going thru the same thing you're going through I'm the owner of a 2006 Dodge Charger RT and I have a 2010 challenger 5.7 in my charger so I have some information that could be useful to you and u might have some info for me. so when you see this message give me a call at 770 35500 96 the name is Myo
Myo what's the latest on ur car? Figure anything else out

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Im honesty probably just gonna sell the 2010 engine and try to find one from an 07 I've came to the conclusion that I'll have to get a 2010 pcm to match the engine then some how have it programmed to the 07 car even then that may not work and even though the harness plugged right in it also is different and would have to be changed... All n all will be easier just to sell the engine now I'm just having a problem finding a buyer... That's for all the advice
I told you the PCM you have is the same as the 2010-NGC4,Your problem is to see if it can be programmed to your car,like I mentioned not sure if it will work,but program PCM for a 2010 Charger R/T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I told you the PCM you have is the same as the 2010-NGC4,Your problem is to see if it can be programmed to your car,like I mentioned not sure if it will work,but program PCM for a 2010 Charger R/T
Richd I tried to send the pcm to after hours or after midnights whatever this charger performance tuning shop and they told me the pcm had altogether different drives and there was no way they could program it to go with the 2010 engine maybe they didn't know what they were talking about? They told me I had to get a 2010 pcm have it programmed to the vin then they could program it to the engine then I would have to change the harness but they could guarantee that it would work still I told them I was told the 07 and 10 pcm were the same and he told me I was wrong going in circles with this damn car!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Richd I tried to send the pcm to after hours or after midnights whatever this charger performance tuning shop and they told me the pcm had altogether different drives and there was no way they could program it to go with the 2010 engine maybe they didn't know what they were talking about? They told me I had to get a 2010 pcm have it programmed to the vin then they could program it to the engine then I would have to change the harness but they could guarantee that it would work still I told them I was told the 07 and 10 pcm were the same and he told me I was wrong going in circles with this damn car!!
Maybe your best bet is to sell the 2010,and try to get a 07.I was thinking about it today,and was thinking like them,that you need to put harness from 2010 on engine,and cutting the crankshaft sensor/Camshaft sensor to make it fit,might be some of the problem.Let us know how you make out on this,and Good Luck

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I don't get that. Getting a 2010 PCM and dropping it into your car should be very easy since it simply controls the Engine, not the entire car.

What makes you think it is otherwise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
there's a guy here named Mopar man I'm taking my car up to him tomorrow he's saying that the 06- 2010 PCMs are the same and he'll be able to flash 2006 PCM to run the 2010 motor so I'll let you know as soon as I get up there tomorrow the other option is changing out the timing cover

·
Registered
14 Posts
logically you would think 2010 computer 2010 motor 06 then ingested program flash be the easiest thing to do but I would think if it's that easy this swap would have been done a million other times if anybody else has any insight please let us know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'm just gonna take it back out I gotta guy that's supposed to call me next week who has a 2010 that was in a flood in your area but still let me know what happens.... Appreciate it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was stopped by my original mechanic before I towed it to the performance guy. he said by doing the research he's done if he switches out the adjustable cam sprocket that's in our new motors with the original cam sprocket it will allow it to fire right up we just won't have the vct.remember I said its a timing issue with the car it will fire up with the starter fluidsprayed into it because its not given the right ignition timing because the sprocket has oil valleys. so when he comes through and swaps out the sprocket and it fires right up I'll let you know only problem will have then is the EGR valve setting off the check engine light but that can be flashed

·
Registered
14 Posts
today we took the timing cover off the old motor to put on the 2010 and everything went smoothly except for the camshaft in the 2010 5.7 the diameter at the end of it with the sprocket goes on it is to millimeters Hawaii so we're going to do is swap out the cams and that it will solve the problem of the timing issue so what you need to do is swap out the cam in the hole timing cover with timing chain and sprockets and there won't be a timing issue no more because our 0607 computer will be time correctly

1 - 20 of 33 Posts