Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,

I'm looking to change my Firestone Firehawk GT tires for something else as they will soon be due. Although I was very pleased with these, I'm willing to try something else.

Any suggestions? Size is 245/45ZR20 (99Y).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Do you run winter tires? If so, Pilot Super Sports or Continental DW for the summer. For all-seasons, Cooper RS3A or Continental DWS.

GTO_04

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of the Continental tires that will fit your car.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I recently replaced my firestones with Continental DWS's in 255/45R20....I wanted the extra 10mm section width and the 1/4" additional height didn't affect my speedo.

the firestones were pretty good in the dry, but sucked in the rain and snow, especially with more than 20k on them. the conti's grip at least as good in the dry, and in the wet, it's no comparison. from a standing stop in the wet, anything more than 1/8 throttle would light up the firestones. the conti's gripped almost as good as in the dry.

another thing I like about the continentals: no serrated sidewall, they're muck easier to keep looking nice.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I recently replaced my firestones with Continental DWS's in 255/45R20....I wanted the extra 10mm section width and the 1/4" additional height didn't affect my speedo.

the firestones were pretty good in the dry, but sucked in the rain and snow, especially with more than 20k on them. the conti's grip at least as good in the dry, and in the wet, it's no comparison. from a standing stop in the wet, anything more than 1/8 throttle would light up the firestones. the conti's gripped almost as good as in the dry.

another thing I like about the continentals: no serrated sidewall, they're muck easier to keep looking nice.
I thought you were going to go with the Nokian WGR-2 tires. I had the Conti DW and the Extreme Winter Contacts on my G8 GT and both were great tires! The Extreme Winter Contacts don't some in 18s though.

GTO_04

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've had good luck with Pilot Super Sports
Kinda pricey though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've had good luck with Pilot Super Sports
Kinda pricey though.
That they are! There is a big price jump going from the 18s to the 20s. For the 245/45R18
that fit on the G8, they were only $225. They don't make them for the stock 235/55R18 Charger size, so I went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my R/T and they have beet great tires as well. Being all season they are a notch below the Super Sports but I have been very happy with them!

GTO_04

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I thought you were going to go with the Nokian WGR-2 tires. I had the Conti DW and the Extreme Winter Contacts on my G8 GT and both were great tires! The Extreme Winter Contacts don't some in 18s though.

GTO_04
I was, but the deal to sell my 20" chrome clads fell through, so I decided just to stick with the 20's instead of dropping down to the 18's....the Nokians are an awesome tire for day to day, year round use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the delay and thanks for all those who replied.

I purchased a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8s (studded) for our winters.. 225/65/17 btw.

Soooo many tires on the market these days. WOW! The Firehawks GT aren't all that forgiving in the rain but sure do bite down when weather in hot and dry (I have 36K on them). Overall, it's a good tire. Just in the mood to experiement.

Continental DW you say, huh? Hmmmm....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone care to explain what a "serrated sidewall" is?

I'm quite fond of how the Firestone overlaps the wheel. It looks sharp and also protects the rim from occasional sidewalk rubbing.

Do the Conti DW's share same overlap?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

on the above goodyear, there's a band that the lettering is in where there's a bunch of little ribs (serrations)....those tend to collect dirt and crap, are hard to scrub clean, and makes it hard to use gel-style tire dressings

compared to the continentals which have smooth sidewalls, but the lettering has some serrations

the contis have a similar rim protector feature, but styling wise, it's not as pronounced as the firestone (the sidewall comes straight into it, compared to the firestones, where the sidewall dipped in, and then "ski jumped" out to the rim protector

1 - 11 of 11 Posts