Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue- I had my '06 Daytona's tank replaced due to the stalling problem last fall.

Now every single fill up the gas pump doesn't stop soon enough and gas will come pouring out of the tank and down the side of the car. The pump does stop but it's a half second before the overflow so it's just not happening soon enough.

Interestingly, if I know the tank is getting close to full and stop the pump myself, then re-start it, it will properly shut off before I get any spillage when it does reach full.

I have had it off the road for the winter but now that I'm about to start driving it again I've been wondering more about if it's a second design flaw or if it was improperly installed somehow.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue- I had my '06 Daytona's tank replaced due to the stalling problem last fall.

Now every single fill up the gas pump doesn't stop soon enough and gas will come pouring out of the tank and down the side of the car. The pump does stop but it's a half second before the overflow so it's just not happening soon enough.

Interestingly, if I know the tank is getting close to full and stop the pump myself, then re-start it, it will properly shut off before I get any spillage when it does reach full.

I have had it off the road for the winter but now that I'm about to start driving it again I've been wondering more about if it's a second design flaw or if it was improperly installed somehow.
I had this happen on my wifes 08 Liberty,and it was a bad fuel control valve,which means new tank

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

I have found that some pumps will do this and pay close attention to how much fuel should be added to the tank. I also don't fill at the maximum rate unless I know the pump at a particular station will shut off properly.

The pumps work on a back pressure sensing system and for whatever reason, the Chrysler fuel tanks don't always seem give the back pressure soon enough when filling at a high rate. It can be avoided by filling at a slower rate or by shutting off and restarting like you described.

For whatever reason, I have found that the Shell pumps always have this issue, only a few of the Sunoco ones do (mostly older pumps) and the older BP/Amoco stations never seem to have the issue.

However, if I fill at the lower speed on the auto clip on the handle, all seem to be fine.

It doesn't hurt to bring this issue to the attention of the Dealer that installed the tank and see what they have to say about it. it is entirely possible that there is a part defect or install issue that in causing this to happen.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I haven't experienced this since my new tank install but my dealer installed a new filler neck as well as a tank. The Dealer's SA is probably going to blame the pump for this so you might have to be prepared for that, try shooting a video of it happening with your phone to show them. I have an 08 Dakota that when the pump handle kicks off it is so full that you can see the gas around the threads of the cap.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I was going to also mention the filler neck. My wife's Grand Cherokee had the opposite issue. It was shutting off too soon. They replaced the filler tube and it's find now. It had something to do with how the back pressure is regulated.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I was going to also mention the filler neck. My wife's Grand Cherokee had the opposite issue. It was shutting off too soon. They replaced the filler tube and it's find now. It had something to do with how the back pressure is regulated.
I second this.. I had my tank replaced in October, and had issues with filling it up. Would click off with even the slightly amount of pressure from the pump so I took it to Dodge last Monday and they said a hose was pinched when they put the tank back into place.

What I would do is make an appointment, tell them all this BS didn't start until they laid hands on it, and make them fix it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up - I finally brought the car back and they put another new tank in. Even though I waited almost a year (I had the stalling issue fixed last May) they did it at no cost. I immediately filled up again and didn't have the overflow issue.

So it appears the new tank was somehow faulty as they told me the filler neck is not part of the tank (but that since it fits in the tank they couldn't really look at it w/out taking the tank out anyway so they wanted to start w/ a new tank).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts