Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I swear I saw a thread with pictures on how to replace leather covers in R/T but I cannot find it. Can anyone help me out please, maybe someone has it bookmarked? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Hi guys,

I swear I saw a thread with pictures on how to replace leather covers in R/T but I cannot find it. Can anyone help me out please, maybe someone has it bookmarked? thanks
Is it this thread?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I replaced my seats with all leather. The main differences you'll find: Whether your back seat is a straight bench, or 60/40 Split with the Arm Rest which I imagine is a little more time consuming. SRT8 and some R&T front seats have more side bolster compared to the other models so more foam is needed to convert to those. Also if your seats are powered and heated might make a difference in time.

Issues I ran into: Hands got tired from clipping the many (I'd say about 50-70) seemingly 10-gauge thick hog clips, and clipping them back in with the special hog ring plier. I think I bought thinner hog clips for re installation for a little more ease. Also stretching the tight leather back over the frames (which can have jagged sharp metal) and having the plastic clips all line up. Getting the back rest section of the back seats out because you have to find just the right spot with a flat head screwdriver on the far left and right sides of the seats. It is like a metal clip, and the clearance for me was low because of the back window glass, but it came out eventually.

Tips: It really helps to have maybe a dry towel or two, because if your hands get sweaty it is hard to get a grip on that leather if you find your self in a tight spot. Also removing the broken metal pieces (I used needle nose pliers) from the hog clips might fall into the seat foam. You want to remove these as you don't want them finding there way up and either tearing the leather or your skin in the future.

A special long skinny socket is needed to reach into a hex screw in the bottom plastic portion of the front seat housings to the side in or near the seat adjuster. I used a 7/32" deep well 1/4" long extension drive socket.

Here's the thread I think you meant (pictures don't load for me though) and a video of installing leather skins on a Ford mustang which is very similar in the process including how the rear bench portion of the back seat pops out:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...-seats-takeoff-parts-r-t-leather-skins-33074/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDQC-8byGw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts