Charger Forums banner

repairing scratched glass?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  IcarusLSC 
#1 ·
ok my shed just rolled over my car in a storm. the body work is done but the insurance wouldnt pay to fix scratched glass. i know eastwood has a kit to sand and polish scratches out but its like $70 is there a cheaper way?
has anyone tried this before?

#2 ·
The only way that the Eastwood kit will work is if you can't get your fingernails into the scratches in the glass.

If you can catch your nails, the only way to fix the glass is to replace it.

If you do end up replacing the glass, make sure that you do it at a body shop and MAKE SURE that they repair the scratches that happen to the holding area for the glass BEFORE they replace it. I had a van that they didn't do that with and when I got another cracked windshield from a big rock, there was a bunch of rust where the exposed metal had encountered water. I had to flat bed the van to the body shop where they had to fix the windshield area and repaint it before the windshield company could come and reinstall the new glass a day or so later.

Good luck.;)

Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#3 ·
girlfriend was reaching up to pull down my radar detector one time as i was getting pulled over...scratched the windshield pretty good with her ring...

no way to repair it...gotta replace it just like brian said.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
(I know its an old post but figured I'd help if others have scratches in their glass) :)

How bad are the scratches? If you can feel them it will be hard to get rid of them.
I used a CarPro CeriGlass kit and one of their Rayon pads on a DA and got rid of the scratches a tint shop put in my drivers side window. Didn't take long, but was messy to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.