Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my R/T home the first thing I did was take the Engine Cover off.
I live in South Florida and heat is never a good thing for any engine. In my pontiac GTP keeping the Supercharger cool was a must. The R/T's V8 has no reason to have a blanket on it, of course if I lived in Brompton all year a blanket might be a good idea. I know that the sooner it warms up and the cats fire up, the lower the emissions and the better the mpg but in South Florida in the summer at 5 am it's 79 F degrees.
Tell me if you have a different view, other than it looks neat.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i am in southwest louisiana....i really am not sure it would make a difference. i am more worried about the heat tearing my paint off of the hood so i am glad that there is a cover to give good looks and keep some heat off of my hood. i had a car in the past that the heat from the engine tore up the paint on the hood. my two cents.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Southwest louisiana- Lake Charles, I guess you have Power/cable/phone or this would be impossible. You didn't let the R/T get damp, did you ? I'm in Homestead, sorry about not killing Katrina while it was here.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
man we are very gracious - we were completely missed again....we recieved a very little rain and 20 to 30 mile wind. this is the second time in a few years we have been very lucky. we almost took a head on about two years ago but it brushed off and hit lafayette about 70 miles to the east. the city has taken in about 5000 refugees and still expecting more from baton rouge which is overfilling with people looking for any kind of help. this whole thing is just surreal. my wife and i are still amazed about this ridiculous fuel situation b/c we are only a few hours away from new orleans and our prices are only 2.70 for a gal. just don't understand why so many areas are over reacting...this is a horrible situation and the worst natural disaster in our history but it is not the time to panick and artifically jack up prices. ok enough i could go on forever about this....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heat won't effect your paint (unless you have a fire or unnatural temps) Your hood paint probably started to peal or fade because the hood, roof and Deck lid paint always fail first. Some colors quicker then others (mostly metallics / silver etc. On the last 3 vehicles I've owned (01GTP, 02 GTP, 04 Silverado SS) I've always removed the covers. Sure they look nice but they serve no purpose and do nothing but trap heat / moisture / Dirt etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
lord,
My baby stays inside the garage so sunlight, heat and paint damage is minimal and in the past water based paints were crap. You can always put the covers back on when you trade the car in right, (GTP's).
godaddy,
Gas prices go up with the daily barrel prices, not what the dealer payed for the fuel, they go down with competition. Living in andrew alley I feel your pain

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup.. Stick the cover back on for show or sale :D

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
RDBRT said:
lord,
My baby stays inside the garage so sunlight, heat and paint damage is minimal and in the past water based paints were crap. You can always put the covers back on when you trade the car in right, (GTP's).
godaddy,
Gas prices go up with the daily barrel prices, not what the dealer payed for the fuel, they go down with competition. Living in andrew alley I feel your pain
i am not sure we are on the same page on this one....i am saying i can't believe the jack up on prices around the country when we have NOT seen major increases in prices at all. doesn't make any sense at all. as far as competition setting prices...oh yeah - we have a gas station chain that sold out of gas b/c they didn't jack up the price .10 cents like everyone else and they ALL sold out across the city...now they have recieved shipment and have increased prices almost .25 cents more than everyone else around the city.....i am not one for gov't regulation but something has to be done.....i realize crude oil has been at there highest prices but lest we forget that oil comapanies are also posting their HIGHEST profit margins in a very long time. so my point is that these artificial gas hikes by a few should be considered illegal. it is like what hemibates mentioned in another thread - hotels that only charge 60 to 80 a night are jacking prices up to 250 a night b/c they know they can make serious cash off of this disaster. ok i have rambled to long - sorry guys.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
you doing anything with that cover radguy?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Well... I see hotter temps then you would down in Florida... I just dont see a huge reason for removing the cover.... remove the cover? well then you have a hood still holding in the heat.... so what? you gonna drive around with your hood off because it will trap in heat?

Gm does desert testing 10 min from me, and Chrysler does thiers about an hour from me... I have not been to Chryslers proving grounds, but I have driven all over GM's....

The do heat soak tests where they run the car at top speed on the 5 mile banked oval, they then park the cars with the engine running behind a windbreak... so no airmovement other then from the rad fans is present...

If they do tests like this and still sell the cars with the cover... do not expect to have ill effects from it being on...

Do you really think that DCX spent all the money they do on engererring and testing new vehicles and then throw something on that will hurt the vehicle just for the hell of it?

I am an electrician... not an engineer.... I will let them do thier work, and I will do my work... I dont have engineering degrees, nor do I have the experience they do to second guess them...

·
Registered
75 Posts
No one said it would hurt the vehicle if left on but you WILL run a few degrees cooler with the cover off potentially prolonging the life of drivetrain components a little if any. Keep it stock if you want but many would like to know these small improvements / mods. A few small mods go a long way. The stock exhaust is more restrictive then an aftermarket catback. The manufacturers test with the factory system. Nothing is wrong with it but you will get small gains with an aftermarket setup. With your reasoning there would be no reason to mod.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
lordkevork said:
No one said it would hurt the vehicle if left on but you WILL run a few degrees cooler with the cover off potentially prolonging the life of drivetrain components a little if any. Keep it stock if you want but many would like to know these small improvements / mods. A few small mods go a long way. The stock exhaust is more restrictive then an aftermarket catback. The manufacturers test with the factory system. Nothing is wrong with it but you will get small gains with an aftermarket setup. With your reasoning there would be no reason to mod.

I mod... I have 56 mods on my current truck... however I laugh at people who think they know better then automaker engineers....

I mod what I do because I want to, knowing what the potential risks are... and the potential gains...

Car compaines have to get the most power, reliability, while keeping the vehicle quiet and keeping costs down... thats why you get power with a cat-back and headers... because they increase sound levels and cost, which is why you dont get them from the factory...

I have done over 25 grand in modifications to 3 vehicles... so I am not a newbie to this... :D

edit: typos

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part of the profits are that the oil companies work on a percentage of the gross, so if the gross charged for the gas goes up so does their profit in dollars even if the % stays the same, so if they make .30 cents on $1.50 gas then they make .60 cents on $3.00 gas evem if their costs doubled, just as an example. Of course there's greed !
My cover is siting in the garage, is there a market?
Hey the 6.1 doesn't have a cover!!!!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
RDBRT said:
Part of the profits are that the oil companies work on a percentage of the gross, so if the gross charged for the gas goes up so does their profit in dollars even if the % stays the same, so if they make .30 cents on $1.50 gas then they make .60 cents on $3.00 gas evem if their costs doubled, just as an example. Of course there's greed !
My cover is siting in the garage, is there a market?
Hey the 6.1 doesn't have a cover!!!!
the 6.1 also has a taller intake and a cover will not fit... :D

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
by the way... the point of my posts is to say that you will not benifit from removing it... if you prefer the look go for it... but looks is the only reason to do it

edit: typo

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i want to paint mine personally add a little more to the engine bay looks....my two cents!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
by the way... the point of my posts is to say that you will not benifit from removing it... if you prefer the look go for it... but looks is the only reason to do it

edit: typo
My Noncontact Thermometer tells me different but to each his or her own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T - no reason to get defensive and ignorant. No one is forcing you to take your cover off. no one called you a newbie or asked how many $ in mods you have done. take a chill pill.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts