Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife and I were out driving around and when she rolled her window up, there was a horrible crunching sound. So what does my bright azz do? I rolled the window down, thinking it was my window visor. Nope, wasn’t that, but the window wouldn’t go back up, motor was working, I could hear it. Found a gas station with some light and popped off the door panel and pulled the window up and shoved a couple of shop rags in to hold window up for the hour drive. Made it.

Here’s my question, there is another panel under the main panel, how do you remove that?
It has an access hole and I found a little grommet that looks like it had a metal cable attached to it but broke. I realize WHAT this is and what happened. But I need to remove that panel to get a better look.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Nose Skin Chin Eyebrow Arm

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this video, the only thing that I didn’t do is the three bolts on the side of the door (around the 7:00 minute mark). I know the video is for an older 200, but it should be the same concept, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I found the spring that goes with that “fitting”
Coil spring Font Automotive tire Auto part Audio equipment

They should be like this (the other side)
Hood Sleeve Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Now I’m trying to push the hole in the fitting clear so that I can rethread it or figure out how to crimp the cable instead.

Also, the spool that works the cable to make the window go up and down seems to be twisted up. So this should be fun.

• Wow
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Wouldn't you get all that stuff if you picked up a new window regulator assembly?

That's just the first link I found, but I'm sure there are other places to find the parts without trying to repair that cable.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know, probably. But I don’t need all of that.
I figured out how to remove everything. That was a P.I.T.A. Including the glass, which currently laying in the trunk.
Now, I just have to wait for Dodge to open and hope they’ll sell me just the cable. If not, I guess I’ll go for the ole bicycle Brake cable.
Body jewelry Eyewear Jewellery Feather Circle

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I don’t know, probably. But I don’t need all of that.
I figured out how to remove everything. That was a P.I.T.A. Including the glass, which currently laying in the trunk.
Now, I just have to wait for Dodge to open and hope they’ll sell me just the cable. If not, I guess I’ll go for the ole bicycle Brake cable.
View attachment 307536
The cable isn't sold separately. I don't know if repairing it is going to work unless you'll have the bike shop just make an entirely new cable. It's pretty tight so you can't really just cut the frayed part off and "re-crimp" an end on it. And that kinked up section is likely to just break later. Good luck getting it fixed.

Best,

Reactions: Rhill1124

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was afraid of the not sold seperatly part.
That kinked up section is actually supposed to be that way. That’s from the spool, you hook it then feed through a small channel the it bends back to wrap around the spool. Kind of like an old weed eater line.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I was afraid of the not sold seperatly part.
That kinked up section is actually supposed to be that way. That’s from the spool, you hook it then feed through a small channel the it bends back to wrap around the spool. Kind of like an old weed eater line.
Ahhh....never had the need to take one apart. :)

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
761 Posts
Pretty sure you got it by now but yeah the cable isn’t sold by its self I worked at Safelite anytime one piece of that went bad even if it wasn’t the cable we’d cut the cable and tie it around something to keep the window up until we got the part in. Also sure you’ve gotten the secondary panel down. It’s a pain but there should be little clips you pop out and it will hang down to allow access to the back if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
The panels aren't that hard if you find the proper directions to follow. When I had my rear ones off it was harder to remove the outer panel then the inner one.
I didn't find it to be difficult in the slightest, BUT it's easy to break the plastic clips if you're not careful or if you're doing this on a really cold day. I was being pretty careful and using a proper trim tool and still broke a couple of them when I glued my door skins back down.

Best,

·
Registered
699 Posts
I didn't find it to be difficult in the slightest, BUT it's easy to break the plastic clips if you're not careful or if you're doing this on a really cold day. I was being pretty careful and using a proper trim tool and still broke a couple of them when I glued my door skins back down.

Best,
For me it was the amount of force required and trying to get the top lined up and dealing with the rubber window seal. Other cars i have the plastic panel has a couple hidden screws and once they're out the panel slides up and off, no clips to worry about breaking at all. So much easier.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
For me it was the amount of force required and trying to get the top lined up and dealing with the rubber window seal. Other cars i have the plastic panel has a couple hidden screws and once they're out the panel slides up and off, no clips to worry about breaking at all. So much easier.
Ah, I see what you mean. Getting the rubber "wiper" aligned to the trim panel and getting it to "pop into place" was more art than skill. I got lucky on mine and it wasn't that bad, but I could see that potentially being a hassle.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, went to Dodge. They could get me one (whole thing, of course) tomorrow for $330.00.

After great thought and reflection on just how much I really didn’t feel driving around town looking for “maybe” solutions that probably wouldn’t work in the end, I stopped in at Advanced Auto on a whim.

They had one (they always have ONE of what you need🤔). So, I just went ahead and got it for $140.

I would have, but I really didn’t want to rig up my car with pieces that don’t go to it anyways.

So..
Gesture Font Line Handwriting Material property

Packing materials Waste container Automotive exterior Plastic bag Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The panels aren't that hard if you find the proper directions to follow. When I had my rear ones off it was harder to remove the outer panel then the inner one.
I agree, the panels are cake.
It was when I got to the inner piece, which apparently is part of the window regulator.

Reactions: Callahan843

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How spoiled am I because of my Charger?
I drove my wife’s MB to get the regulator, I couldn’t figure out why the vented seat weren’t working, she only has heated seats. 🫤

Anyways, I ended up having to take the regulator off of the new panel and putting it onto the old panel. I couldn’t get the old panel completely off because of all of the wiring going through one of the holes to the door handle/sensors. Wouldn’t you know it, I let the spool unspool in the process. 🙄
Figured all of that out and it’s all good now. I had to retrain the window to work the one touch up function. Otherwise, all good now!

I now that relatively that was a minor repair, but I pray that it doesn’t happen again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts