Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine cover, centre grey portion, got scratched. I did it. So I sanded it down and used the proper prep for plastic spray and used a paint for plastic. Turned out rather nice, let it sit for a week to dry. But now I see that the hood covering has been touching the engine cover and has transferred itself onto the painted cover in two locations and the paint ate a hole into the cloth hood covering. The painted surface feels tacky from the immense heat generated from the engine and as for my paint job I have obviously screwed up somewhere. So now I'm wanting to know is this engine cover just for looks or is it a necessary part and needed for cooling the engine or can this thing just be left off. Oh almost forgot the cover sits down onto a part at the front and its either wearing or melting a hole into the bottom of the centre and should probably be through sometime shortly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I believe it is just for looks and can be safely discarded (or stored away). Please correct me if I am wrong guys!

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
i would leave it on or get some half valve covers. i know "gsmotorsports" has the half valve covers for the 5.7 engine...you just have to ask them. i attached an example...

·
Registered
702 Posts
i would leave it on or get some half valve covers. i know "gsmotorsports" has the half valve covers for the 5.7 engine...you just have to ask them. i attached an example...
good looking out...thanks.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I believe it is just for looks and can be safely discarded (or stored away). Please correct me if I am wrong guys!
it does look like it's only for looks... if you take it off the engine looks kinda cheap unless you were to dress it up a bit. there's a bunch of electrical tape under it... i covered all them up with wireloom but you could get the half covers to dress it up a bit. also, if you leave the engine cover off there is a part that makes a funny whistling like sound and its not the cai. gpwebman pointed this out so kudos to him.:lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you get the strut tower brace, you can't have the cover on. I am debating over getting one or not. My point is that I don't think it is necessary

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
If you get the strut tower brace, you can't have the cover on. I am debating over getting one or not. My point is that I don't think it is necessary
it's not but the engine doesn't really look that good without it on. take it off and you will see a bunch of electrical tape...:knockout:

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I drove mine for over a year with the cover off and had no problems (not even the whistle that was mentioned). I noticed thru the EVIC that the engine temp was about 2° cooler than it was with the cover on.
you're right... you won't have any problems without it on...but the engine looks like crap without it unless you dress it up... unless you don't care about that:smoke:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Its not necessary at all. I'm a big proponent of getting rid of the thing.
I'm not a fan at looking at a big hunk of plastic. "Ohhh pretty engine COVER you got there"..No thanks
I want to see an engine dammit

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Does anyone remember the maker of the half engine covers? It was someone on the forum that started creating them and sold them for awhile. I'm thinking this was about a year ago. I really would like to get something like that. Anyone have any leads?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have no problem leaving the cover off and using some wireloom to pretty up what is already pretty darn good to look at already. I'm just wanting to make sure that the cover is nothing more than for looks, after all they did put open slots along the sides either to force air through or let the dust in. I don't know. I am encouraged to take it off after seeing a post indicating his cover has been off for a year without problems. Thanks for the input folks.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I say take it off and leave it off...you'll definitely run a bit cooler. That thing just traps hot air under it...and those slots are probably for ventilation purposes...to let some hot air out so as not to cook the performance!

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Does anyone remember the maker of the half engine covers? It was someone on the forum that started creating them and sold them for awhile. I'm thinking this was about a year ago. I really would like to get something like that. Anyone have any leads?
pale rider on the lxforums...i think he still makes the half valve covers...or gsmotorsports makes them for both the 5.7 and 6.1... or i believe billet tech may work on this in the future after talking with them about it:rockon:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The guy I was talking about, maybe Madc or something like that, was making something very similar to the 6.1 covers. I like the ones from LX but I'm looking for metal.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yes Madc made some - I don not know if he still does - his are metal and can be painted or polished. I have the ones from Pale Rider and love em

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts