Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm putting around 400 rwhp now and I notice that esp doesn't really do jack crap for me anymore off the line. If anything it slows me down because it bogs my engine down and retards the timing. I was wondering if there was anyway to remove the esp modual completly from the engine bay. I'm trying to cut back on all the weight that I can and it'll give me more room to add some turbo piping. Would it throw a code or is there anyway I can prevent this? And yes I know the consequences. I definently will not be driving her in the rain or winter. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Not really, since the whole system is integrated, the ESP is integral with the BAS, ABS, and TCS systems. And it doesnt do anything for off the line, thats the TCS, system:) Best bet is to just use a Diablo to just shut the system down, and save weight somewhere else.

·
Registered
182 Posts
look up RTJunkies mod

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys thanks for your help. I didn't want to start ripping crap off my baby and then screw up big time lol. Does anybody have any ideas on what the best way to reduce weight in our cars is. I already cut off the mufflers and suitcase. They were pretty heavy but I'm really trying to get in the tens when I put my twin turbo setup on. I want to get a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood to help a little. Any heavy crap on our cars that we don't really need? Thanks for your help guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you want to lose some weight, go with a full carbon fiber race hood and trunk. Pull the passenger seat and rear bench out as well

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah. Firstly, the newer cars have a three-stage system now. The SRT8's cannot turn everything off like you used to be able to (hold dash button until chime). I'm still seeing excessive timing being pulled on launch. With the quality of gas around here along with my car not responding to the Predator tunes like most cars, I'm just not seeing the performance I expect.

I have confirmed that is was user (idiot) error with the Predator not being able to turn the ESP/BAS/ABS/Cruise off. I was setting the "dyno mode" to "on" while in the midst of adjusting parameters when writing a tune. So, the dyno mode was set, but then the tune over-wrote it. I figured it out a couple of days later when I tried setting the dyno mode all on it's own through the quick adjust. Doh!!!!! Loser alert!!!!

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Yeah. Firstly, the newer cars have a three-stage system now. The SRT8's cannot turn everything off like you used to be able to (hold dash button until chime). I'm still seeing excessive timing being pulled on launch. With the quality of gas around here along with my car not responding to the Predator tunes like most cars, I'm just not seeing the performance I expect.

I have confirmed that is was user (idiot) error with the Predator not being able to turn the ESP/BAS/ABS/Cruise off. I was setting the "dyno mode" to "on" while in the midst of adjusting parameters when writing a tune. So, the dyno mode was set, but then the tune over-wrote it. I figured it out a couple of days later when I tried setting the dyno mode all on it's own through the quick adjust. Doh!!!!! Loser alert!!!!
so does this pertain to 09's only... on my late model build 08... I still need to hold the esp off button down to deactivate it

·
Registered
990 Posts
According to what I've been told, some late 08's (yet unconfirmed) and all the 09's have this three-stage ESP system whereby you can no longer fully deactivate the ESP system (contrary to what the EVIC says when it displayes the ESP Deactivated message). The computer will still try and stop wheel spin, regardless which is how the R/T's have always worked.

In my case, I can push the ESP button once (Mr. Squiggles is displayed), and getting the wheels to spin is quite a chore. If I "disable" ESP, it's just as difficult, absolutely no change.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
According to what I've been told, some late 08's (yet unconfirmed) and all the 09's have this three-stage ESP system whereby you can no longer fully deactivate the ESP system (contrary to what the EVIC says when it displayes the ESP Deactivated message). The computer will still try and stop wheel spin, regardless which is how the R/T's have always worked.

In my case, I can push the ESP button once (Mr. Squiggles is displayed), and getting the wheels to spin is quite a chore. If I "disable" ESP, it's just as difficult, absolutely no change.
do you still need to press down the ESP OFF buttom for 5 secs for it to chime and show deactivate...

**what about if you do the turn the key method...

I wonder if this has anything to due with the new LSD system

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Whoa, fellas. SRT ESP has always been three stage. No changes. The one thing DISABLE does not shut off is the BLD, or brake lock differential. This feature measures wheelspin for just the rear wheels compared just to each other. If both rear wheels are going the same speed, it does not intervene. Once theres a difference between wheel speed, it brakes the spinning wheel.

So, for reference

ON = All features, ESP, TCS, BLD active
OFF = All features still active, but with higher trigger thresholds
DISABLE = ESP and TCS fully off, but BLD still active.

Whats that I hear? "What is the difference between TCS (traction control system), and BLD?"

Easy. TCS only cares about rear wheel speed compared to front wheel speed. BLD only cares about rear wheels compared to each other. They do NOT care about each other.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Whoa, fellas. SRT ESP has always been three stage. No changes. The one thing DISABLE does not shut off is the BLD, or brake lock differential. This feature measures wheelspin for just the rear wheels compared just to each other. If both rear wheels are going the same speed, it does not intervene. Once theres a difference between wheel speed, it brakes the spinning wheel.

So, for reference

ON = All features, ESP, TCS, BLD active
OFF = All features still active, but with higher trigger thresholds
DISABLE = ESP and TCS fully off, but BLD still active.

Whats that I hear? "What is the difference between TCS (traction control system), and BLD?"

Easy. TCS only cares about rear wheel speed compared to front wheel speed. BLD only cares about rear wheels compared to each other. They do NOT care about each other.
so why do I constantly read that srt owners have trouble smoking the tires even with ESP OFF

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well, call it what you like. My 09 SuperBee does not act the same way when in 'DISABLE/OFF' mode as prior years. I barely do burnouts with ESP off, and it feels no different than with the system partially off.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Well, call it what you like. My 09 SuperBee does not act the same way when in 'DISABLE/OFF' mode as prior years. I barely do burnouts with ESP off, and it feels no different than with the system partially off.
what if you do a brake-stand... can you smoke them that way...

someday's I have traction issues but 90% of the time I can turn it 1/2 off and light the tires up... all the way off... i've laid down 15ft tire marks from a dead stop... some days are better than others though

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
so why do I constantly read that srt owners have trouble smoking the tires even with ESP OFF
I assume you guys mean disabled, right? Cant explain, theres lots of variables. Tire temp, loading of the car, even pavement type could affect getting BLD interference, which is what it is thats stopping you.

The wheels must remain the same speed. turn the steering wheel the slightest bit, your going to load up one wheel more altering its speed. the SRT guys are not going to take capability away, trust me. Try and remember this, and we can ask them next chat. Only change I'm aware of is the adition of anti-knockback mitigation to the brakes.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I assume you guys mean disabled, right? Cant explain, theres lots of variables. Tire temp, loading of the car, even pavement type could affect getting BLD interference, which is what it is thats stopping you.

The wheels must remain the same speed. turn the steering wheel the slightest bit, your going to load up one wheel more altering its speed. the SRT guys are not going to take capability away, trust me. Try and remember this, and we can ask them next chat. Only change I'm aware of is the adition of anti-knockback mitigation to the brakes.
yes, disabled... ESP OFF "deactivated"

·
Registered
990 Posts
what if you do a brake-stand... can you smoke them that way...
Barely. Car rocks back and forth struggling with very little tire smoke. The only way Ive been able to do a brake stand is by disabling the entire ESP/BAS/ABS system with the Predator. All of my buddies with SRT8's can smoke them pretty good with the one button touch, and roast them with the system disabled. My buddy with another 09 SuperBee has the same issues as I do. His is a little easier because he's on RSA's, but the car reacts the same way.

someday's I have traction issues but 90% of the time I can turn it 1/2 off and light the tires up... all the way off... i've laid down 15ft tire marks from a dead stop... some days are better than others though
Nope, can't do anything like that. As soon as the tires start to spin the car bogs down. With the system disabled via the button on the dash held down until chime, from a dead stand still I can stomp on the gas pedal and barely hear a chirp.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Oh, and all this is straightline stuff, just so you know, and no difference whether I've loaded a predator tune or not.

·
Registered
990 Posts
damn... did you go to the dealer... maybe your esp is faulty
According to the dealer, and the tech I talked to, the system is performing as designed. He said that Dodge had changed the way it worked because they wanted to follow suit with other manufacturers which also won't allow all the "safety" features to be completely turned off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts