Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My agency is currently in the process of evaluating the Police Charger. So far so good, but I can't seem to make the remote trunk release work (from the key fob remote).
I can't find anything in the manual that indicates it is disabled. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
My agency is currently in the process of evaluating the Police Charger. So far so good, but I can't seem to make the remote trunk release work (from the key fob remote).
I can't find anything in the manual that indicates it is disabled. Anyone have any experience with this?
FOrgive me if this sounds like a simple question, but its better to ask than assume.

Are you pressing it twice in a row? If so, too fast, or too slow can affect operation.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
^ that was my mistake first time trying to open the trunk with the key fob...but then i realized it says 2x...pop goes the trunk.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have to press mine twice in a row for it to activate. I guess that keeps you from accidently opening your trunk by pressing it once. If that does not work for you, you may have a defect - check with dealer if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Another silly thing, its locked out while in Drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the car is in park and I "double tap" the key fob...nada.

I've tried various rates of "press" but nothing seems to make it work. That's why I was suspecting it was disabled because this is the Police Package.

Anywho, thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I suppose its probably a weapons control kinda thing. Not sure if youd want to bypass it, say you dont keep anything back there, maybe it could be enabled with a delarship tool called a Starscan.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Maybe an option, department selectable?

Hey, looky what I found.

http://www.state.tn.us/generalserv/purchasing/kont/k218.htm

Purchasing details for TN, ordered police vehicles. Heres the interesting tidbit.

35. TRUNK RELEASE, REMOTE: TO BE EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRONICALLY OPERATED REMOTE CONTROL TRUNK RELEASE. CONTROL TO BE WITHIN CONVENIENT REACH OF THE DRIVER, (IN GLOVE BOX IS NOT ACCEPTABLE) TRUNK REMOTE TO OPERATE ONLY WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS IN "ON" POSITION.
Hmmm, and I found the same sort of spec for PA, also. Give that a shot, see what happens. Also, what state are you in, maybe I can track down exactly what is up.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Maybe an option, department selectable?

Hey, looky what I found.

http://www.state.tn.us/generalserv/purchasing/kont/k218.htm

Purchasing details for TN, ordered police vehicles. Heres the interesting tidbit.

Hmmm, and I found the same sort of spec for PA, also. Give that a shot, see what happens. Also, what state are you in, maybe I can track down exactly what is up.
That refers to the in-car remote release, such as what we have had in most fleet patrol cars and what most cars come with standard. You don't have to turn off the vehicle and remove the keys to access the trunk with the key.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Our agency has a few now too (everybody loves them!). I noticed the remote would not open the trunk on ours, and I am familiar with how to do it because I own an SRT-8. I figured it must have been disabled. Too dangerous I guess to have an accidental opening of the trunk, with the common practice of keeping shot guns, etc. in there.
Larry

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to Walt Melen at DCX, this is a known problem that is being worked on and a TSB is due shortly. Here is a quote from Walt dated Aug.9/07: "The feature for the trunk unlock was tied directly to trunk button. There is a service bulletin due out soon to fix the FOB open/unlock feature."

I am involved with a similar thread on the eLightbars forum regarding this problem.

I have an email in to Walt as of today, and am awaiting a response. The TSB was supposed to be out by now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can use the in-car trunk release when my keys are not in the ignition... so if they changed that for the police package chargers so it would only work when the key was in the "on" position, then that may effect the entire operation of the latch, including using the fob.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing on my end.

Let me know when the fix is released. When I picked mine up from the dealership, one of the key fobs worked and the other did not. Of course the one the worked was the one in the sales guy's hand, so I figured it was just me. But after I got home with the car, nothing. Neither one of them works now. I just haven't had a chance to stop by the dealership to have them look at it. Any help or news, please let me know too!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My key fob also doesn't open the trunk on my Police package. Nor does the in-cabin remote work. But I haven't tried it with the key in the "on" position.

·
Registered
144 Posts
35. TRUNK RELEASE, REMOTE: TO BE EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRONICALLY OPERATED REMOTE CONTROL TRUNK RELEASE. CONTROL TO BE WITHIN CONVENIENT REACH OF THE DRIVER, (IN GLOVE BOX IS NOT ACCEPTABLE) TRUNK REMOTE TO OPERATE ONLY WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS IN "ON" POSITION.
Just went and tried this & it worked, but the key fob still doesn't open the trunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts