·
Registered
149 Posts
no, but i do remember the .COM crash I was at least 20 then.:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The drum brakes found on these old cars were not even close to the brakes found on the Challenger now. Nearly all of the old muscle cars from the 60s and early 70s ran like a bat out of hell going straight, but heaven help you if you had to stop or turn.

It is correct that a cone was set to show where the driver was suppose to stop, but it was not there at the actual race. But there is some common sense that was not used. 20 people were injured. The driver had extreme remoarse over this for years and years! This was the only accident involving a pace car at Indy.

Here is an interesting link that will show all the Indy Pace cars, with actual pictures, and their drivers.

enjoy

mike
dms

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It was 13 years before I was even a thought...

Interesting video.. Thanks for posting that up!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is a fund link. Coming from a older generation, I have an insight that some of you younger guys cannot even imagine. Not that it is a concern, but just different.

You should all be proud of the changes that Chrysler has done thru the years.

mike
dms

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Wow - that is a great clip, i was -7 at the time.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
crappy video, things sure have come a ways... how does a pace car lose control... they're not even supposed to be going at race speeds..... What a ******.

The driver, owner of the dealership close by, was going too fast and hit the brakes too late, and lost it. He had a really good set of OE 4 wheel drum brakes. I would assume there was a little "oh ****" panick at the very end.

mike
dms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts