Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a 07 srt8... is it ok to use 89 octane every now and then... i know u will lose power but will it hurt the car

·
Registered
792 Posts
It might be ok in the winter,when its not so hot.But it might ping and thats not good.But then again I'm not a mechanic,I would just run the 91 and call it safe.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not a good idea while it is under its factory warranty. It calls for a minimum of 91 octane and you should stay with that. Out of warranty do as you wish. Just my opinion, of course :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Use whatever fuel is recommended by Chrysler - there's a reason they recommend it!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Use whatever fuel is recommended by Chrysler - there's a reason they recommend it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed!
Its like the posts I've see where someone sayss they run a different grade oil than recomended....WHY???

·
Registered
813 Posts
using lower octane than the computer is set for can cause Knocking and pinging under power. most of the time the computer will sence if and adjust timing and increase fuel to compensate( at the cost of alot of power and fuel) however not always adn this Can cause serious damage to the motor. I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all... I will be using atleast 91 but mostly 93

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AE, i asked a simple question. that is the problem with some forums, there is always one. thank you for those who answered the question. I have a hybrid for you.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
the SRT is desgined to run on 91 or above - anything less may cause harmful knocking. Most of the $$ value of the car is in the engine, so why try to save pennies and risk harming that big, beautiful 6.1 HEMI? Not worth it in my book!
SRT is pay to play, baby!!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
the SRT is desgined to run on 91 or above - anything less may cause harmful knocking. Most of the $$ value of the car is in the engine, so why try to save pennies and risk harming that big, beautiful 6.1 HEMI? Not worth it in my book!
SRT is pay to play, baby!!
My thoughts exactly

Usually folks are trying to extract MORE power out of their car, not less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts